New Verizon Wireless Pricing Plans Leaked
    Will arrive on October 28, says leaked Q&A

Verizon has long hinted at the fact that when they launch LTE service later this year, they'll be shaking up their wireless data pricing plans significantly. However, they've been mum on exactly what that pricing will be, outside of hinting at their love of the AT&T-style low cap and high overage model. Engadget's landed a major scoop with a leaked Verizon Q&A that says the new plans arrive October 28, and break down as such:

3G Feature Phones -- $1.99 pay as you go or $15 monthly access for 150 or 150 MB ($15/150 MB overage) or $29.99 for unlimited monthly access.

3G Smartphones Plans $15 monthly access for 150 MB ($15/150 MB overage) or $29.99 for unlimited monthly access.

3G Tablet Plans $20 monthly access for 1 GB ($20/1 GB overage), $35 monthly access for 3 GB ($10/ 1 GB overage); $50 monthly access for 5 GB ($10/1 GB overage) and $80 for 10 GB ($10/1G overage).

3G Netbooks/Notebooks Built-In Plans $50 monthly access for 5 GB ($10/1 GB overage) or $80 monthly access for 10 GB ($10/1 GB overage).

MiFi 2200 and Five Spot Mobile $50 monthly access for 5 GB ($10 /1 GB overage), $80 for 10 GB ($10/1G overage) or as part of a 90-day promotion $35 monthly access for 3 GB ($10/1 GB overage).

Most of the plans are pricey and punitive, as most people expected from Verizon. Like AT&T's pricing plan, Verizon's postpaid pricing plans are designed so most consumers will fall in the middle and will be nudged toward the more expensive option, with a litany of expensive overages should you decide otherwise. Following in wireless industry tradition, "unlimited" may or may not actually mean unlimited.

Verizon's tiered data plans hitting October 28, smartphones still getting unlimited option? -- Engadget
    10-18-10 05:08 PM
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this, assuming that these end up really being the plans. Unlimited data is still $30, so it changes nothing for most people. For those who don't use much data they have the cheapo plans. That said, I think you should get more than 150 MB for $15!!! So yes, the $15 plans are a rip-off...who would be stupid enough to sign up for that?

In contrast, AT$T offers 200MB for $15, so their cheap plan is slightly better, but still a rip-off. Where AT&T really screws you though is that the only other option is 2GB for $25. And that's why I'm pleasantly surprised. I expected VZW would go the AT&T route and ditch the unlimited plan completely.

We'll see what really happens though...
    10-18-10 07:11 PM
    Knowing how few will really bang data out "and factoring many will be grand fathered in anyway"

Setting a soft cap and saying unlimited is a great marketing move.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 07:24 PM
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this, assuming that these end up really being the plans. Unlimited data is still $30, so it changes nothing for most people. For those who don't use much data they have the cheapo plans. That said, I think you should get more than 150 MB for $15!!! So yes, the $15 plans are a rip-off...who would be stupid enough to sign up for that?

In contrast, AT$T offers 200MB for $15, so their cheap plan is slightly better, but still a rip-off. Where AT&T really screws you though is that the only other option is 2GB for $25. And that's why I'm pleasantly surprised. I expected VZW would go the AT&T route and ditch the unlimited plan completely.

We'll see what really happens though...
    And not getting "unlimited" as it's defined there might actually bite users in the rear after LTE is widely deployed, suddenly the spare five minutes to look at something will use more data because of the higher speeds; and I'm sure a ton of people won't notice until their bill issues.
    10-18-10 07:58 PM
    I'm extremely glad to see this as I feel much better not worrying about my data usage. I would assume these will stick but we'll see. If it does stick, consider this an excellent move by Verizon. The real question here is that the website notes it as a "3G" plan. Will this still hold true once LTE drops?
    10-18-10 11:16 PM
    I doubt unlimited will continue with LTE. But I am happy with my 3G. I was on the 2gb plan with at&t and hated having to watch my data. I like the peace of mind of unlimited.

10-18-10 11:48 PM
    I doubt unlimited will continue with LTE. But I am happy with my 3G. I was on the 2gb plan with at&t and hated having to watch my data. I like the peace of mind of unlimited.

That's my main concern. I can't switch to LTE and have less data available to me than I had with 3G. I'd gladly pay a $10 "LTE" monthly fee if needed which would bring me to $40. I'm not sure but I believe my friend who has the Evo 4G on Sprint is charged a $10 fee. We'll see.
    10-19-10 12:25 AM
    It had to be expected with other carriers changing their data. I had hoped Verizon wouldn't do this, but I prefer to stay with unlimited data. Too bad they had to decide to follow suit on this.
    10-19-10 01:02 AM
    It had to be expected with other carriers changing their data. I had hoped Verizon wouldn't do this, but I prefer to stay with unlimited data. Too bad they had to decide to follow suit on this.
    How is this bad for BlackBerry users? They are still offering the unlimited plan for the same price and 150MB for $15. I know I will be changing my girlfriend's plan to the $15 plan, as she averages less than 10MB a month on her Pearl. Oh, go Lakers
    10-19-10 01:10 AM
    I think this is very interesting....a few points:

1) I was hoping for a mid-point option....something like 1gb for $20 or something. I want to get either a BB or iPhone (when it hits VZW). 150mb not enough, but my wife won't need unlimited.

2) Glad unlimited is staying but agree there will be something different, be it a plan or add on fee, for LTE.

3) I think this is also a subtle move to grab customers and a related sign regarding the iPhone coming to VZW. Let's say iPhone drops on VZW soon. Let's say you are an AT&T customer.....Your top option is 2gb for $25. Would you switch to VZW to get unlimited for $4.99 more per month? I think the answer is a resounding YES.

3b) I think AT&T will switch their plans back or be prepared to offer an unlimited plan to keep iPhone users from switching to VZW.

Ain't competition grand!
    10-19-10 07:52 AM
    For now, I'm happy to be grandfathered with my Alltel plan with 12 f & f numbers, and UNLIMITED data and texts. I would imagine that when LTE rolls out we'll see another round of pricing plans with increases, and VZW will probably make me give up my Alltel plan to go on LTE.
    10-19-10 07:56 AM
    The only people who would benefit from this lower plan are BlackBerry users. My wife has a Bold and really just checks Facebook...but I think even she still uses more than 150mb this month. So I'll. Keep her on unlimited.

No iPhone user could get away with only 150mb of data. You would go over every month.

10-19-10 07:58 AM
    I don't get why everyone seems so disappointed. Everyone was pissed that AT&T didn't keep unlimited. So Big Red does, and now the 150 mb is too small? I'm pretty sure they put a lot of research into this and found a certain point where this will benefit a large portion of customers and not hinder any future or existing customers. 150Mb isn't great for my needs, so I will keep unlimited, but this is hardly the horrible picture everyone seems to be painting here IMO.

One thing no one commented on is MBB prices came down pretty nicely and have a great variety of options. Might give some ideas about what LTE will look like.
    10-19-10 06:54 PM
    Looking at my data usage I am always around 175 MB, my wife is around 120 MB so I would love to cut our bill by $30 by moving to the $15 plans. I am trying to figure out what uses the most data. I never used WiFi before so I am doing that now. But even with that I noticed a large 4MB transfer at 11:23 PM a few nights ago and I am pretty sure I was in bed. I have no idea what could have done that. Before seeing the time of the transfer I thought of two culprits. Does Facebook not use WiFi? I thought it may have been Twitter updating every 30 minutes but even during the day at work I use maybe 60KB so it's definately not that.
    10-22-10 08:44 PM
    I think it's awesome that for the tablets, netbooks, and mifi, that they will only charge $10 for every GB you go over your plan. That is so much better than per mb.
    10-23-10 08:47 PM
    I'm liking the new plans. My Mifi plan will get cheaper..slightly but every little bit helps.
    10-23-10 11:33 PM
    I like the new pricing schemes, really. I've never thought that 30 was bad for unlimited data. I'm also glad they are bringing back the partial data plan as well, although 150MB isn't that much...but hey, its a start!

10-25-10 06:54 AM
    I like the new pricing schemes, really. I've never thought that 30 was bad for unlimited data. I'm also glad they are bringing back the partial data plan as well, although 150MB isn't that much...but hey, its a start!

It's better than 9.95 for 25MBs, now THAT is a joke!
    10-25-10 09:40 AM
    That may be true! However, I had an old plan still set before I went with my Crackberry ;D So for 9.95 with my LG Dare, I had unlimited data! Although doing the math now....For an extra what....6 dollars you get six times the data? Mathematically speaking...that's pretty sweet...Too bad I can't upgrade my bandwidth by six times for six dollars XD
    10-25-10 09:52 AM
    I have to agree with you there... Oh and hi! Sorry I've been hiding.

my 2cw?
    IF these are the plans. We will never know until they drop... I mean how many times have we heard "Verizon's getting the iPhone" well, they're not... they're getting the iPad. Not much of an improvement. One more thing the poor techs are going to be shoddily trained on OR like in the spirit of AT&T, Apple will refuse to allow verizon to support the product and all users will be transfered to Apple support. Yeah, THATS fun.
    I never believe something until I see it on the verizon wireless website. I've seen some of these "leaks" hold true, but the majority are bogus. Let's just see what happens and pray for the grandfather clause.
    As for me? LTE sounds exciting but I'm happy with my 3G and 12mb wireless signal from Qwest thank you.
    10-26-10 05:10 AM
    3G Tablet Plans $20 monthly access for 1 GB ($20/1 GB overage),
    We had a meeting revealing all of this yesterday. Just wanted to be clear, this plan is for the iPad only.
    10-26-10 06:51 AM
    I'm glad Verizon is keeping unlimited options for those who don't want to worry about their data consumption on their smart phone...
    10-26-10 01:22 PM
    No body wants to worry about overages.. thats why there's unlimited texting and unlimited min. Honestly, if I didnt have my plan the way it is... I'd be in a panic every 23rd worrying about my bill... especially with my daughter and her new cell and apparently genetic ability to text at lightning speeds even though she's never had a cell before.
    Oh yeah, got my kid a cell for her 10th birthday this year! LOL
    10-26-10 02:07 PM
    I think this is brilliant actually. Not a ton of people are going to drop down to the $15/month. Just a few light BB users. This is to entice those people that want smartphones but don't want to pay $30/month and there are still a fair amount of those out there. But once they get them hooked on data, a lot of them will realize they need to go up to $30 per month. Brilliant business plan.
    10-26-10 02:10 PM
    It's probably due partially to the fact that I have access to WIFI for my S2 about 90% of the time on an average day...but my monthly data usage is only at 64 MB right now, and there's only 2 days left on the cycle. It's certainly not like I don't use data either!

Admittedly, I don't stream too much at all. I have Slacker, but cache my stations over WIFI and then listen it while I'm riding the Metro commuting, primarily. I also set my subscribed podcasts to only download while on WIFI as well.

I think as long as WIFI is becoming standard option on newer phones, 150MB is pretty reasonable, but it is nice to have an "unlimited" option as well.
    10-26-10 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD