Hi all, I am due for an upgrade on Verizon and looking for recommendations.

I think it has come down to the Bold 9650 (hear bad things about the Curve 8530, plus data speed is not as fast), or the HTC Incredible, or the Droid X. I am really afraid to go no-keyboard, but I feel like I ought to try it. In a perfect world I would be getting a Torch but they don't make that for VZW.

What do you guys think? Are there any good BB's on Verizon right now or should I wait?
    Last edited by hammock; 09-17-10 at 07:07 PM.
    09-17-10 07:03 PM
    If you're considering android, why not try the Droid 2, where you still have a physical keyboard and Froyo (OS2.2) already loaded on it.

I had a Tour but didn't see the Bold as a significant enough upgrade from that to want to spend my yearly upgrade on, so I decided to try the Droid 2.

In your case, however, Bold is a tremendous upgrade over the 8330 (which I had before the Tour), and is supposedly on the list to receive an OS6 upgrade sometime. So, if youre happy with the BBOS, you will likely be very happy with the 9650 Bold.

I would not get the Curve due to* still* being a rev 0 device, even in 2010, in addition to its' lower resolution screen and camera. The Bold costs more but is the only way to go, IMO vs a Curve.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-17-10 at 07:17 PM.
    09-17-10 07:15 PM
    If you're considering android, why not try the Droid 2, where you still have a physical keyboard and Froyo (OS2.2) already loaded on it.

I had a Tour but didn't see the Bold as a significant enough upgrade from that to want to spend my yearly upgrade on, so I decided to try the Droid 2.

In your case, however, Bold is a tremendous upgrade over the 8330 (which I had before the Tour), and is supposedly on the list to receive an OS6 upgrade sometime. So, if youre happy with the BBOS, you will likely be very happy with the 9650 Bold.

I would not get the Curve due to* still* being a rev 0 device, even in 2010, in addition to its' lower resolution screen and camera. The Bold costs more but is the only way to go, IMO vs a Curve.
    My main beef with Droid 2 is that is has low reviews on phonescoop, and does not tether. But I am interested to hear what you think of it compared to the tour/bold... is it as solid a phone?
    09-17-10 07:23 PM
    I believe none of the android devices will natively tether apart from wifi hotspot @ 2gb for 20$ unless you root the device, and then there are apps you can use for it. Im still looking into it. You may want to check the android forum here and other places for some reviews. Im not familiar with phonescoop or who does their reviews...

As you can see on my profile, I'm a Droid 2 owner, and I'm very happy with it versus my old Tour. I liked the Tour keyboard better but that could be because I'm more familiar with it. I've already been getting far more proficient with the keyboards (real and virtual) as the days go by.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 09-17-10 at 08:17 PM.
    09-17-10 08:11 PM
    I have the Bold and it is a solid BB. You can't beat it in my opinion. It will be upgradable to the new 6.0 OS when it is released.

I have had this BB since July and I LOVE IT
    09-17-10 08:25 PM
    Hi all, I am due for an upgrade on Verizon and looking for recommendations.

I think it has come down to the Bold 9650 (hear bad things about the Curve 8530, plus data speed is not as fast), or the HTC Incredible, or the Droid X. I am really afraid to go no-keyboard, but I feel like I ought to try it. In a perfect world I would be getting a Torch but they don't make that for VZW.

What do you guys think? Are there any good BB's on Verizon right now or should I wait?
    I think you should wait verizon hasn't come out with any new blackberrys recently and they should be coming out with something good in jan 11 the latest... i have an upgrade i've been holding out on just to see what they have coming in 11... I can hold out using my tour...storm.. and palm pre plus till than!
    09-20-10 06:23 PM
    You really can't go wrong with the 9650, it's a solid device, I'm running OS6 on it and have very few complaints, it is a leak after all, it's a solid device all around!
    09-20-10 06:47 PM
    Like others have said, I believe the Bold 9650 is a great device. Listing device features that are most important and prioritizing them can help choose the best device for a person's specific needs.
    09-20-10 07:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD