10-23-09 01:55 PM
131 12345 ...
tools
    It will come out...

But actually the Droid was revealed through blogs long before the HTC phone...

I too am looking forward to this HTC phone and am hoping they'll release some information soon...
    10-18-09 09:14 PM
    Here's a light view of the story...

washingtonpost.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 11:09 PM
    Here's a light view of the story...

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

Pretty much sums up what I've seen and been hoping/expecting...

Android looks to be on the verge of blowing up...

Though... I still can't help but think that this Motorola Droid may have skeptics out there (including myself). The people I work with all have had experiences with the Q line, and agree that it isn't a smartphone that brings back good memories...

I have high hopes for the Droid... And even higher hopes for what this partnership has in store for us...
    10-18-09 11:24 PM
    The people I work with all have had experiences with the Q line, and agree that it isn't a smartphone that brings back good memories...
    The really sad thing is that the Q is what mpst people experienced WM on - imagine if Moto hoses this up as well.

Still, the hardware looks good, and Moto was once a premier electronics source...

10-18-09 11:36 PM
    The really sad thing is that the Q is what mpst people experienced WM on - imagine if Moto hoses this up as well.

Still, the hardware looks good, and Moto was once a premier electronics source...

That was my first win mo phone. Upgraded from that to the XV6800.
    It served it's purposes. One thing in defense of the Q; that thing
    is a friggin tank....................
    10-18-09 11:42 PM

Right.

Thats why a lot of people think WM is a complicated OS... Because the Q really made it difficult to like...

This is also why I was somewhat surprised when I heard Moto was going to be a premier handset in VZWs line up... Since so many are weary of it after they experienced the Q... My thought is that a lot of casual buyers remember whats worked for them in the past, and don't want to go back to what didn't work for them...

And finally... I am somewhat worried that a lot of Androids future on VZW could potentially ride on the Droid, as it is the first and most pushed Android device...

Like Twins said... Imagin what might happen if Moto botches this up...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 10-18-09 at 11:49 PM.
    10-18-09 11:47 PM
    Motorola Droid hands on! : Boy Genius Report

Motorola Droid, as reported by BGR

10-18-09 11:49 PM
    Nice find...
    10-18-09 11:52 PM
    And another nice bit of commentary...

Verizon's 'Droid' attack on the iPhone elevates Google in mobile air-wars -- DailyFinance

10-19-09 01:21 AM
    Well its definitely something to look forward to over the next year...

Everyone is going to have to step their game up or get left behind....

Fortunately Verizon has decided to get behind Google and not stay attached to the BlackBerrys.....

While I really would like to see BlackBerry come out with something shocking and innovative... Its definitely not 5.0.... And from the speed at which RIM works... Its hard to believe that RIM will last too much longer off popularity alone....

Right now it seems having a BlackBerry is more of a status symbol than anything else...
    10-19-09 02:00 AM
    Motorola Droid hands on! : Boy Genius Report

Motorola Droid, as reported by BGR

Looks pretty impressive
    10-19-09 06:34 AM
    And another nice bit of commentary...

Verizon's 'Droid' attack on the iPhone elevates Google in mobile air-wars -- DailyFinance

If anyone can give Apple a run for it's money it is Google; the have the resources development wise to go toe to toe with Apple.
    Believe me there will be an app for this and that.
    10-19-09 06:42 AM
    I need a video review. the pics look ok but, i would like to see the browser in action. The keyboard looks terrible.
    10-19-09 07:18 AM
    The keyboard looks a little too off center to the left side for my liking...

I don't want to have to stretch my right thumb way over to reach the keys... Just personal preference...
    10-19-09 01:26 PM
    Just personal preference...
    This is all that matters
    10-19-09 01:51 PM
    Whatever happened to a phone you could pull out of a box and be happy with?
    They still exists and are called phones. No one buys just a "phone" nowadays.. we all have advanced devices etc etc.
    10-19-09 03:07 PM
    Okay gang - got a response back from my inside people - it seems (according to them) that I misunderstood. This new device is NOT the Sholes - it will be called Droid. But same device. When I was told it was definitely NOT Sholes, he meant the name. Silly me.

The one I had my hands on awhile back was a rough tester - the case was taped together, if that tells you anything. Based on that, what I saw was the keyboard is an afterthought - a backup to the touchscreen. Where phones like the TP2 use the touchscreen as a co-equal partner to the keyboard, the Droid treats the keyboard as somewhat of a stepchild. It is almost like the designers had the thickness of the device set, then decided to stick a keyboard on it. It isn't all that bad - not cramped like Pre, but the feel doesn't equal Pre and it is nowhere close to being in the same league as keyboards from HTC, Samsung or Nokia. It would be difficult for anyone to match the TP2 keyboard. With my big hands, I found the keyboard lacking, even in comparison with the rock-hard Curve keys.

Basically, I got the impression they threw in the keyboard solely to outdo iPhone.

If you want a great touchscreen experience & don't care about the physical keyboard, the Droid may be your phone. If you want a premium keyboard, along with a very good touchscreen, go HTC.
    10-19-09 03:23 PM
    @Twins

But the finished device may have a better keyboard, no? Personally I would much rather have a touchscreen with a physical keyboard (not a slideout) or just no touchscreen at all, but that's just me.

10-19-09 03:30 PM
    @Twins

But the finished device may have a better keyboard, no? Personally I would much rather have a touchscreen with a physical keyboard (not a slideout) or just no touchscreen at all, but that's just me.
    It could be better - but I don't see how. A lot of what I saw was caused by the thickness of the phone - it is admirably thin, but not a lot of room is left for a top-flight keyboard. I can't imagine any way they could fit a five-row offset keyboard in there - at least not without it feeling flimsy. It is just too thin.

As for your preference, I can see that - it is nice not to have to slide out the keyboard constantly - but the tradeoff is a smaller screen & smaller keyboard. The market is leaning heavily toward huge screens & keyboards that are close to the screen size, if not in the screen.

I can envision a time where the Curve/Ozone/Q style of phone will be rare, if not extinct.
    10-19-09 03:57 PM
    The day the Q goes extinct will be a happy day indeed
    10-19-09 08:48 PM
    Include the other two and all BBs and you have my vote.
    10-19-09 09:08 PM
    +1 for Aaron. I second that.
    10-19-09 09:08 PM
    Include the other two and you have my vote.

Nah, my curve is awesome and I'm neutral on the ozone
    10-19-09 09:09 PM
    Nah, my curve is awesome and I'm neutral on the ozone
    It is awesome in 2006 terms. Compared with what we currently have available, it is crap. There are feature phones that do more.
    10-20-09 12:50 AM
    It is awesome in 2006 terms. Compared with what we currently have available, it is crap. There are feature phones that do more.
    I take comfort in being able to turn my BB into an intention imprinted electrical device when I finally decide to upgrade. Not sure I can do that with an Android device yet.

10-20-09 01:03 AM
131 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD