10-23-09 02:55 PM
131 1234 ...
tools
    Droid is NOT Sholes?

This is definitely news to me...

Every tech site has the Tao/Sholes/Droid being all the one and the same...

And DroidDoes.com leads you too

verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid

BTW: I did see that "DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm.Ltd"
    10-18-09 02:44 AM
    Interesting - it seems you're correct & I have to yell at my VZW guy tomorrow.

I've not had hands on the most recent "Sholes" but have seen images of the Droid, along with mockups - the earlier Sholes & the Droid are different & my VZW guy tells me they are different. But he also told me Moto wouldn't be making it.

I guess one can't trust product development types...

Since it is Moto, that rules it out for me - completely.
    10-18-09 02:54 AM
    That honestly was my biggest concern from the moment I heard about it...

Motorola's smartphones have been less than mediocre thus far, and I'm definitely skeptical about the Droid...

If the Droid's UI is as clumsly, convoluted and lackluster as the Q's made WM out to be... Then this phone might scare people off Android for good....
    10-18-09 03:28 AM
    Here is something to think about - along those same lines... Where WM is amenable to overlays, Android needs none, as the manufacturer & carrier can modify it before release and after it is in your hands - every little thing can be controlled.

So one Android device might be great, while the next one can be downright awful.

All BlackBerrys have the same basic workings. Use one, you've pretty much used them all. Palm is similar. WM is WM - limited by mediocre hardware & expanded upon by overlays.

I have an Android device - I won't mention the maker's name, but their initials are HTC - that is pretty good. What I saw in a series of early Motos wasn't good. The future HTC devices look promising, but even HTC is hedging their bets - they will reserve Android to their value phones. Think $149 & below. The upper 50% of their lineup will be WM or a Linux variant.

There is word running around within the dev community that Microsoft actually pushed Moto away, because of devices like the Q.

For me, my preference will be with the veterans in computing - Windows, Apple & Linux (UNIX), though not necessarily in that order.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 05:02 AM
    I definitely see what you're saying...
    And as I've mentioned in the past, my curiosity with Android is primarily due to the fact that its completely new to me... Sure I've played around with a friends G1 for five minutes but I would hardly call that enough time to get to know a platform...
    I'm not going to lock myself into a specific platform as I know they're all constantly making improvements. While I'm leaning towards an Android based phone being my next device... I will certainly keep my eye on WM, especially with WM7 creeping up; and even BlackBerry, Palm and any other platform maintaining popularity.... As I would be foolish to blind myself...
    10-18-09 11:17 AM
    I definitely see what you're saying...
    And as I've mentioned in the past, my curiosity with Android is primarily due to the fact that its completely new to me... Sure I've played around with a friends G1 for five minutes but I would hardly call that enough time to get to know a platform...
    I'm not going to lock myself into a specific platform as I know they're all constantly making improvements. While I'm leaning towards an Android based phone being my next device... I will certainly keep my eye on WM, especially with WM7 creeping up; and even BlackBerry, Palm and any other platform maintaining popularity.... As I would be foolish to blind myself...
    This should be read, re-read, and then tattooed on every person who needs a smartphone device.

It is a lesson that i am learning right now with the storm.

I was told how great blackberry was, and how wm is the devil, and how it compares to the iphone.

In reality, I knew nothing about what I was getting, and just got frustrated with everything I was trying to do.

Each platform has its pros and cons, and these are the things consumers dont understand.

Verizon knows that the human mind is going to go to the thing that sounds the best, and now the "droid" is the answer to the iphone, just like the storm, voyager, and dare were.

No one(in a figurative sense) knows what they do and no one really cares, but if they can show off to their friends the latest youtube video on their phone, it will make it worth it.

Its a smart move, now people will start to drool, and mock iphone users, and it bleeds anticipation for this great device.

R.o.c. has it best though, it needs to be a homerun out of the box, because the crowd wanted the iphone, to promise something better without deliviering it would be a major blow, and a huge win for apple in so many ways, it may make vzw waive the white flag.
    10-18-09 11:54 AM

it needs to be a homerun out of the box,
    I agree with this. Unlike the Storm 1 the Storm2/android/WM/ has to be a homerun out of the box. I hate hearing oh the Omnia 2 comes with 6.5 but you can upgrade to 7.0 later... And the Storm 1 you kept having to install leaked OS's the whole time I had it. Whatever happened to a phone you could pull out of a box and be happy with?
    10-18-09 12:05 PM
    I agree with this. Unlike the Storm 1 the Storm2/android/WM/ has to be a homerun out of the box. I hate hearing oh the Omnia 2 comes with 6.5 but you can upgrade to 7.0 later... And the Storm 1 you kept having to install leaked OS's the whole time I had it. Whatever happened to a phone you could pull out of a box and be happy with?
    While part of this is because of buggy software, I think a much bigger reason is that the consumer's themselves have stopped being happy with ANYTHING that is "one size fits all."

Well, tech customers anyway.

You mention having to install leaked OS's to enjoy your phone, there were most likely thousands who didn't and some people genuinely liked the storm. In my store we sell far more tours and curves, but the people who get the storm end up loving it (for the most part).

I don't think the "out of the box" experience has fallen that much, but I do think that people are learning that they don't have to accept that experience.
    10-18-09 01:21 PM
    I agree with this. Unlike the Storm 1 the Storm2/android/WM/ has to be a homerun out of the box.
    A homerun isn't really defined here as trouble-free or even all-capable. After all, the iPhone has seen its share of problems. Sales is where it is at.

A big thing for me is not seeing someone else with my stuff. I shop for clothes where I do, because I don't want to dress like I just came out of Walmart. I buy vehicles you don't see at every intersection & when I do have one, like my Denali, it is heavily customized. I don't drink mass-produced beer from the major breweries. It seems everyone has an iPhone or Crapberry - about as much excitement there as in a Hershey bar or driving a Toyota. Thanks, but I'll take Godiva & ZR1, thank you.
    I don't define myself, nor draw personal worth from, what I have or use. But I am a staunch individualist - I don't want to be part of the collective. I like being different.

Of course, having to duck through doors makes it easy to be different.

10-18-09 03:14 PM
    I really liked this commerical. I thought it was well done and made to catch your attention.
    10-18-09 04:50 PM
    Well this commercial could almost be seen as one of those viral campaigns that were made popular over the past couple years...

It gave very little information, and was somewhat head turning...

More of a teaser than anything...
    10-18-09 04:56 PM
    Android-Based Sony Ericsson Xperia X3 Full Specs and Large Images - Sony Ericsson Xperia X3 - Gizmodo.

The appeal of the iphone is ease of use.
    Maybe the droid offers the same.....................
    10-18-09 05:06 PM
    Android-Based Sony Ericsson Xperia X3 Full Specs and Large Images - Sony Ericsson Xperia X3 - Gizmodo.

The appeal of the iphone is ease of use.
    Maybe the droid offers the same.....................
    Have fun hoping VZW & Sony can play nicely together.

Although just six months ago, the same could be said for VZW & Google.

10-18-09 05:38 PM
    Actually.... I believe it was just weeks ago when you said that Verizon and Google don't like each other...

So I guess it proves that anything can happen...

Tho... I think the VZW/Google partnership will do much more than any VZW/Sony partnership could do...
    10-18-09 06:19 PM
    vzw as a company is a joke, well see what happens when S2 comes out. if its not what its cracked up to be i'm saying bye bye to vzw
    10-18-09 06:27 PM
    I was a hard core Blackberry user. I have used them for over 5 years. Last year I got the itch to try an iPhone and then a WM phone. In less than a month I was back to Blackberry. Mid-Summer I got the itch again. I purchased a Rogers Magic to use with my AT&T sim. I have not even considered going back to Blackberry. I am using Touchdown for business and used Gmail to bring all my personal email address together as one. I am surfing back to most sites to get the take on the Droid ads. Droid is the first phone that has made me want to switch carriers. Say what you want about the OS being in its infancy, Google doesn't screw things up and it is head and shoulder above WM and Blackberry already. This is going to be fun.
    10-18-09 06:42 PM
    vzw as a company is a joke, well see what happens when S2 comes out. if its not what its cracked up to be i'm saying bye bye to vzw
    This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read....

First... For saying VZW as a company as a joke...

Second... For saying that if the Storm2 isn't what its cracked up to be (there has been no advertising for it and the hype isn't all that big). Verizon clearly has its focus on the upcoming Android phones (specifically this Droid), more than the Storm2....
    10-18-09 07:22 PM
    Actually.... I believe it was just weeks ago when you said that Verizon and Google don't like each other...
    Well, they didn't. Google with its privacy issues & VZW with its concern for privacy. VZW was pregnant with BlackBerry stock & couldn't figure out how to get rid of it all.

Then one day, very recently, VZW realized RIM was a poor excuse for a father & filed for a partial legal separation.

Actually, I think a good part of it is Android is no longer Google, having been cut loose to the open source community.

What R.O.C. said.

If you are ignorant enough to pin so much on rumors & a device that shows very little above & beyond the original that it is heavily based on, be gone with you. I am sure Sprint would love to count you a customer.

10-18-09 07:37 PM
    Android just needed a name like Google to help them get off the ground... And HTC decided it would be the guinea pig and allow Google to brand itself all over their devices....

Though... With this partnership I can only assume both Verizon Wireless and Google will have their imprints all over any Android based device that comes out on their devices...
    10-18-09 07:42 PM
    Well, they didn't. Google with its privacy issues & VZW with its concern for privacy. VZW was pregnant with BlackBerry stock & couldn't figure out how to get rid of it all.
    And I was just giving you a hard time... Just proving my point that things can change real quick... Even for those off us on the ball...
    10-18-09 07:45 PM
    is verizon getting the hero or not, rummor was it was coming out next month but havent heard anything since
    10-18-09 08:28 PM
    is verizon getting the hero or not, rummor was it was coming out next month but havent heard anything since
    They are getting the Hero............
    10-18-09 08:54 PM
    Nothing official...

There was that picture of a Verizon branded HTC device running the Android platform...

But Verizon hasn't announced anything...
    10-18-09 09:00 PM
    Have fun hoping VZW & Sony can play nicely together.

Although just six months ago, the same could be said for VZW & Google.

Not only an OS but the need to keep pumping devices tech freaks will
    salivate about.
    That would definitely be one if the couldn't eventually get the HTC HD2
    Not trying to hijack; but remember the thread I started about AT&T
    doing the 10 friends with rollover................
    10-18-09 09:01 PM
    yeah i heard all that and saw the pic, but it was suppose to come out in nov, now there talkling about the droid, just wondering if it is at all
    10-18-09 09:47 PM
131 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD