10-23-09 02:55 PM
131 123 ...
tools
    Verizon asks 'if the iDoesn't, what does?'

Verizon ads have been going for the jugular lately. I love it! I think the way they are going to do this particular ad is pretty genius too. People don't necessarily want AT&T. They want the iPhone. Maybe not anymore after this airs...

Sound off.
    10-17-09 03:00 PM
    looks like Verizon is counting on Android to battle the iPhone. Do not know if it will work. Do not know enough about Android.
    10-17-09 03:04 PM
    Sorta makes it seem like Verizon WON'T be getting the iPhone by the tone of these new commercials. I think Android has the potential to give Apple some quality competition.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-09 03:09 PM
    Sorta makes it seem like Verizon WON'T be getting the iPhone by the tone of these new commercials. I think Android has the potential to give Apple some quality competition.

Ya...sounds like a big middle finger to Apple. I agree with you about Android as well. I've heard nothing but good comment about them thus far.
    10-17-09 03:12 PM
    It also sounds like a defensive response to the growth AT&T has been seeing - either directly or indirectly related to the iPhone. The iPhone is a halo model for AT&T. It attracts people into stores, much the way a Corvette, Camaro or Mustang attracts people into a car dealership. They see something else that suits their needs & they go with that.

Potential customer enters store because they need a new phone. The iPhone is "the" phone to have, so they are at an AT&T store. They are in the AT&T world now, not VZW, not Sprint, not T-Mobile. So maybe they leave without an iPhone - odds are good the phone they leave with will be on an AT&T line. AT&T does have the halo model, after all. And AT&T is still a much better recognized brand than Verizon Wireless ever will be.

At least no one ever confuses AT&T's initials.

10-17-09 03:37 PM
    Keep in mind that Android is only the OS (unless you want to count the G1 and, to be honest, who would want to). Phone manufacturers still need to come up with a solid device to run the software on.
    10-17-09 03:45 PM
    Keep in mind that Android is only the OS (unless you want to count the G1 and, to be honest, who would want to). Phone manufacturers still need to come up with a solid device to run the software on.
    Good point - an OS doesn't make the phone and, from what I've seen, really no one has committed their premium devices to Android. HTC says their premiums will be WM. Nokia has Maemo & Symbian. Samsung says Linux & WM. Moto & "premium" have been mutually exclusive for some time now. Android may end up being mostly on the value offerings - which is pretty much where it belongs.

10-17-09 04:10 PM
    I don't know about Android in particular, but I think something people have missed in all these rumor mills and gossip chains is at the workplace, the general attitude of VZW employees, and their assorted superiors, is "we don't need no stinkin' iPhone".

Whatever your feelings on that device are, or whatever your feelings on AT&T are, VZW as a whole believes that the phone doesn't make the network. It's the other way around. Also, don't forget that AT&T itself has to put up with a lot from Apple to have the device on their network. I doubt the device will appear on VZW for a very long time, if ever.

I post this from my laptop in a moving vehicle in Northern Florida. (Still road trippin', and my driving shift is over!)
    10-17-09 07:37 PM
    Last I heard, unless some have seen it, the new commercial should debut during the Baseball game tonight.
    10-17-09 07:42 PM
    10-17-09 08:14 PM
    I am really looking forward to these new ads.

Yeah, it's a motorola, but even a crappy product can have entertaining commercials.

I also think this lessens our chance of getting the Iphone, but if the marketing company is this direct, I'm sure there are some pretty good reasons for it.
    10-17-09 08:33 PM
    The guy in the corona ad threw his BB into the ocean! Retaliate!
    10-17-09 09:08 PM

Just aired, nice
    10-17-09 09:56 PM
    Yeah I just the commercial.... Its pretty cool...

All those "iDon't" lines come down... Then after the "Everything iDon't" line comes down... The "Droid Does" comes down with this robotic voice...
    10-17-09 09:58 PM
    kind of a let down for me
    10-17-09 10:02 PM
    The guy in the corona ad threw his BB into the ocean!
    Best place for it.

10-17-09 10:19 PM
    haha...

I don't actually know if thats the only commercial in this series, because from what I heard it was a new add campaign...

Either way, there wasn't even anything Verizon about it.... It just said "November" at the end... leading you to DroidDoes.com which seems to have a countdown of some sorts...
    10-18-09 01:45 AM
    countdown thing was cracked by some people to be OCT 30 and there has been some rumors of some droid phones coming out OCT 30
    10-18-09 01:49 AM
    Ok...

I was too lazy to set there and take 10 minutes to crack it...

Good to know...
    10-18-09 02:10 AM
    To those who think Android is a second rate OS, the next time you are in a sprint store, check out the hero with Sense UI. It blows away any other OS thats out there right now.
    10-18-09 02:17 AM
    Either way, there wasn't even anything Verizon about it.... It just said "November" at the end... leading you to DroidDoes.com which seems to have a countdown of some sorts...
    Actually, not quite true - eagle eyes will note the tagline @ the bottom tells us:

2009 Verizon

Still, a brilliantly executed teaser in what promises to be more anti-iPhone shots from our friends at VZW.

Personally, I'll wait for Android 3.0 - but you might like 2.0
    10-18-09 02:24 AM
    Well... I was more saying that it wasn't laced with Verizon Wireless logos, Test Guy, and the rest of the typical Verizon stuff we see in their commercials...

I thought it was a decent commercial... Unfortunately it was for a device that is all over the blogs and really isn't much of a secret...

Can it do more than the iPhone? Maybe... But some many argue that there are already other devices on the market that can...

What I'm still looking forward to is that new HTC Android phone...
    10-18-09 02:33 AM
    To those who think Android is a second rate OS, the next time you are in a sprint store, check out the hero with Sense UI. It blows away any other OS thats out there right now.
    It isn't mature enough to blow any other OS out of the water.

From PC World (Australia) on Android:

Strengths: User-friendly, open source, ability to tweak and customise, multitasking

Weaknesses: Still in its infancy, much smaller development community compared to the iPhone, not as polished as alternatives.

Get it if: You like the idea of personalising and tweaking your device and you want a choice of form factors

Avoid it if: You aren't typically an early adopter or you frequently use e-mail for business

It is definitely much better than BlackBerry - but is much closer to Asian Street Tuner than it is to BMW or AMG.
    10-18-09 02:34 AM
    Well... I was more saying that it wasn't laced with Verizon Wireless logos, Test Guy, and the rest of the typical Verizon stuff we see in their commercials...

I thought it was a decent commercial... Unfortunately it was for a device that is all over the blogs and really isn't much of a secret...

Can it do more than the iPhone? Maybe... But some many argue that there are already other devices on the market that can...

What I'm still looking forward to is that new HTC Android phone...
    I agree - and I find these new commercials much more watchable than the inane Test Guy/Network ads.

I would say that VZW is trying to pique the interest of even those who wouldn't pay notice if it had the V logo device all over the screen.

This phone is being targeted right at iPhone's heart - and yes, the phone is called Droid. VZW did secure licensing of the name from Lucas Films. It isn't destined to be a business phone. Forget being particularly adept with Office apps, or most anything else business-like. It will be a value-smartphone for non-smartphone people. An anti-iPhone iPhone.

And no, boys & girls, Droid is not Sholes.
    10-18-09 02:39 AM
    There are also analyts out there who think Adroid is going to explode in the coming years...

I definitely think there is potential there... Especially with names like Verizon Wireless and Google begind it...
    10-18-09 02:40 AM
131 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD