02-03-10 11:25 AM
134 ... 456
tools
    And who's fault is that?
    I'm sorry, but I would not hold any responsibility to the carrier or any business for that matter, if I use a service and just expect it to be free. Pretty much any service you use runs at a cost. How can people be so ignorant to believe data on a phone is free? You have to pay for internet on a PC, right? Yes, VZW should tell you because assuming a customer is reading the T&C's or the notices that tell you there is a charge for the service, is too much to expect from today's consumers.
    02-03-10 12:06 AM
    2. People don't get charged for "accidentally" opening up the web, but they get charged for broswing it.
    You DO get charged if you accidentally hit one of the keys that launches the web browser on your phone. There have been plenty of complaints about that.

There were many threads on various forum sites of people trying to understand some of the data charges on their bills, and why they showed up.

When I called about charges showing on my parent's lines, VZW couldn't explain it. They could not say exactly what caused the data charge. All they could tell me is we must have used a feature on the phone. BS. My dad knows the send, end and number pad. Thats it.
    Why would you just assume that you get mobile web for free from any carrier- not just verizon?
    When did I assume mobile web was free from anyone?

I said under america's choice it was billed as Minutes of use, so therefore if someone had unlimited nights/weekends as part of their plan, it was "free" during those times.

IF a VZW rep switches my plan and does NOT tell me that the costs for using data are different on the new rate plan, then I'm going to assume its billed the same way as it always was. I'd expect most people would do the same, and then later would be shocked when they got their bill.

To be more precise about the example of my parents being switched to a Nationwide plan... I was in the store with my dad. I was standing right there when the rep told him that the nationwide plans were the new plans, and nothing changed. I questioned the rep and said... "well, nothing except that data is now billed $1.99 per mb used, right?" The rep then said, "um, yeah, there is that."

I knew about it because I visit various forums. What about all those "non-techie" people who don't visit forums. I can tell you my Dad and mom don't. My aunt and her family don't. Many/Most of my friends don't. So they wouldn't have known and would have surely taken the Rep's word that nothing had changed.

BTW, the two examples I gave are of two cases where the customers were NOT told what the data costs were going to be. They were NOT informed that the data rates had changed from their old plan! SO, not being told of changes, I would expect any reasonable adult to think that it didn't change, and would certainly be shocked when they got their bill.

And if a $30 unlimited data plan is ridiculous then go to the $9.99/ 25mb data plan and deal with the overages when you get them... Or do you propose that verizon send you a message to tell you that if you go over the data limit you have to pay for overages? That should go without saying.
    *IF* the carrier or sales rep inform the customer that the included amount is 25mb, then someone going over that limit should have to deal with the charges.

If VZW wanted to be nice, they probably could send an email when a user was approaching their limit. I can say that the "data usage" on the My Account web page isn't real time, nor is dialing #data so anyone with the $9.99 25mb plan is going to be lucky if they stay under as they don't have proper tools necessary to accurately keep track.

As for $30 being rediculous, yes, for "Feature Phones" it is ridiculous, especially when "Smart" phones like Android, Windows Mobile, Blackberry and WebOS all have $30 unlimited plans when they have more data centric apps and features so consume more data. Hmm, maybe VZW will realize this and up the price for the "Smart" phone unlimited data plans?
    02-03-10 12:29 AM
    I'm sorry, but I would not hold any responsibility to the carrier or any business for that matter, if I use a service and just expect it to be free. Pretty much any service you use runs at a cost. How can people be so ignorant to believe data on a phone is free? You have to pay for internet on a PC, right? Yes, VZW should tell you because assuming a customer is reading the T&C's or the notices that tell you there is a charge for the service, is too much to expect from today's consumers.
    I hold the carrier responsible to fully disclose all charges up front. In my examples, the reps were either asked what changed, and they responded NOTHING, or did not even bring up the change in data charges.

In store, when my parents upgraded their phones and were forced to switch to nationwide plans, they were told by the rep "nothing had changed" and they were given NO INFORMATION which disclosed the data charges. The "T&C's" they had to sign discussed nothing of rates or fees. Luckily I knew about the change.

I guess its too much to expect companies these days to be upfront, honest and forthcoming with their customers.
    02-03-10 12:34 AM
    Screw verizon!
    02-03-10 01:00 AM
    I hold the carrier responsible to fully disclose all charges up front. In my examples, the reps were either asked what changed, and they responded NOTHING, or did not even bring up the change in data charges.

In store, when my parents upgraded their phones and were forced to switch to nationwide plans, they were told by the rep "nothing had changed" and they were given NO INFORMATION which disclosed the data charges. The "T&C's" they had to sign discussed nothing of rates or fees. Luckily I knew about the change.

I guess its too much to expect companies these days to be upfront, honest and forthcoming with their customers.
    Ignorance is not an excuse.
    02-03-10 02:03 AM
    Screw verizon!
    Great argument.
    02-03-10 02:03 AM
    I'm a phone nerd and its tough to understand those contracts. Then you have stupid reps that don't understand what you're signing either. There is no openness about this. Even if VZW thinks it is the customers fault for racking up data, it is obviously a problem with all the credits and should be looked into from the business' point of view. That's what I mean by nice reps but poor policies up top. So what do they do? They take the last resort and force everyone into the data plans, hurting those who actually knew what they were signing up for.

Just be very careful when going into a VZW store, and be skeptical and sure of your new bill/pricing plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-10 09:55 AM
    I agree, but, asking a VZW REP a point blank question, and being given an INCORRECT answer does not amount to ignorance on the CUSTOMER side.
    02-03-10 10:31 AM
    I agree, but, asking a VZW REP a point blank question, and being given an INCORRECT answer does not amount to ignorance on the CUSTOMER side.
    You are absolutely right and sadly I see that way too much.
    02-03-10 11:25 AM
134 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD