02-03-10 11:25 AM
134 12345 ...
tools
    I might be losing my job and I hope that is not the case. But the company I am working for is downsizing and my job may be dropped. I can't afford increased prices. I am just hoping it doesn't happen.
    I sincerely hope you don't lose your job. Every day I go to work, I am more and more thankful. Good luck to you.

The changes are coming, it's not rumor or speculation. AT and T has already answered back. I see they are also setting some rules as far as Web/text plans on certain phones. I would be interested to know how many phones that accounts for, if anyone has that info, post it up.

For those who already have BB's, Windows Mobile, or Droids, there's nothing to be concerned about. As texting and email continue to take over the market, ALL of the carriers, not just VZW, have to come up with some way to supplement the income lost on voice.
    01-16-10 07:40 AM
    I might be losing my job and I hope that is not the case. But the company I am working for is downsizing and my job may be dropped. I can't afford increased prices. I am just hoping it doesn't happen.
    The past history of plan changes will show that your plan will not be changed overnight. Plan terms ARE part of the contract. At this time I do not know if changes such as device, or contract renwal will cause the account swtich over just yet.

Yes someone will come back and say you can change your plan as to minutes and not affect your contract, yes you can its the terms I am talking about.

With this in mind there are customers out there that are still on americas choice and older plans. Even after they have renewed their contracts. Keep in mind this is premissed on whether a specific device you purchase may required to be activated on a newer price plans.

Just have wait to and see

PS: as I am not lawyer, I hope what I stated above even lakes scense
    Last edited by lastraid; 01-16-10 at 08:49 AM.
    01-16-10 08:45 AM
    "Yeah thank you tetherberry or what ever, that is the reason why vzw has limited web for smartphones, the only way to get this is by only switching to smartphones,
    Just the other day I activated my lg dare for my sisters line she's about half way of contract,

25 or 75 of MB are you kidding me when I had it was unlimited with vcast for $15

So yes guys it doesn't mater if you renew contract or not your still gonna be stuck with this NoN-Sense craparonies.! 25Mb HuH WoW
    It might be a good idea though at least for kids to teach them about limit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 10:48 AM
    "Yeah thank you tetherberry or what ever, that is the reason why vzw has limited web for smartphones, the only way to get this is by only switching to smartphones,
    Just the other day I activated my lg dare for my sisters line she's about half way of contract,

25 or 75 of MB are you kidding me when I had it was unlimited with vcast for $15

So yes guys it doesn't mater if you renew contract or not your still gonna be stuck with this NoN-Sense craparonies.! 25Mb HuH WoW

Yourt situaltion is affected by other changes that happened months ago. not the up coming changes.
    01-16-10 10:54 AM
    Been there seen that done that, but it changed my future in a positive unforeseen way at the time.

Good luck.

I can afford a price increase, but who wants/needs it.
    01-16-10 11:00 AM
    I use a BB, and it's the only device on my account... so this change won't affect me. I'm also extremely happy with VZW's top-notch coverage and customer service, and am ok paying for them. That said, I don't agree with a policy of forcing users to pay for service they don't want just because they own hardware that supports it.

There are quite a few people here who insist that the easy remedy for the problem is to just not buy a 3G capable phone. In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of helpful features on 3G capable phones that do NOT use data.

I know people who choose smart phones for the calendar/tasks/notes features. Others like to load up an SD card with music and videos and enjoy them on the subway without having to carry a phone and a media player. Some people just like the improved user interface and larger screens. In all of these cases, customers who have no desire to use data should not be forced to buy a data service plan that they will never use.
    01-16-10 11:03 AM

From the looks of it they still have 3 data plans. They have $30 smartphone, $10 for 25mb and $30 for unlimited with mobile email (non smartphones). They are dropping the 75mb plan. Not sure if those include vcast or not.
    01-16-10 11:10 AM
    Try telling the parent of 2 it will cost $480 extra over 2 years to get an env3 that is primarly a text phone. If they complain, tell them they are ignorant. Good luck.

First of all, get used to it. The industry is moving towards data being mandatory, like it or not. All 3G devices Verizon offers will now require a $9.99 data plan, which isn't such a bad thing. Most of us here won't be affected because we use BB's, and our children or spouses who have these devices that will now require a data plan probably already have one in place. Kid's love to access their Facebook, Myspace and Twitter accounts from their mobile, and not having a data plan can cost you dearly in the long run. Downloading ringtones, music and using apps on these devices also rack up the data charges, so why not be safe and just get the data plan?? Yes it will cost you more $, and yes times are tough and parting with that $ is not easy. Time is money, so why not gain some free time for yourself and make your kids do some extra chores to make up for the extra costs?? I have a 5 month old daughter, and when she is old enough for a cell phone she WILL earn it, no free mobile device for her. Doing the dishes, mowing the yard and participation in other chores will earn her the right to have a cell with a data plan.

Data is the future of mobile communications, voice use has been on the decline as texting an IM are on the rise. Tiered data plans are on the horizon, certain Verizon and AT&T big wigs have already stated this. Maybe this will help those who are on a tight budget, although tiered data plans are a ways off and aren't expected until LTE comes about.

Post Tech - Chat with Verizon Wireless CTO Lynch on end of all-you-can-eat pricing

Verizon looks for more revenue in wireless data | Signal Strength - CNET News

I have no issue with this $9.99 mandatory data plan. It may seem unfair but keep in mind that they just dropped the price of unlimited calling, so its a trade off.

From Engadget

AT&T messes with plans in wake of Verizon's moves, slashes unlimited voice pricing -- Engadget

"The principles of Econ 101 have us believe that voice isn't as popular as it used to be -- we are now sending billions upon billions of texts, after all -- and as we ease off the voice infrastructure, it makes sense that these guys would want to upsell everyone into unlimited plans (remember that we're living in an "all you can eat" kind of nation) while still banking big on precious kilobytes and characters. Well played, AT&T; you too, Verizon. Well played, indeed."
    Last edited by cenloe; 01-17-10 at 08:07 AM.
    01-17-10 07:56 AM
    I think what is being missed here is cell phones and the things they can do are still in their infancy. We as consumers are going to see many fluctuations in prices, terms, phone capabilities, etc. We are lucky in that we can shop around if something changes that we don't like, just as we can change when a new phone comes out on a carrier other than the one we have.
    The consumers drive what these companies do, and if they (the consumer) will pay higher rates for one company over another, good for that company and good for the consumer who leaves if they feel changes are unjust. If people don't like what VZW is doing with their rates, plans, phones, the consumers will speak by going to another carrier and Verizon will change their rates, phones, plans.
    I am currently with Sprint because I have a very large discount through my work, and purchased an Airave (yep paid for it) because my home is a black hole for cell phone reception and even with the Airave my bill is less than it would be with VZW or AT&T. Other than my house, we have amazing service with Sprint and if they were to change their rates, we might shop around.
    So, if you don't like it... leave. No need for the government to come in and screw with something that is not broken as some have suggested.
    01-17-10 09:14 AM
    I opted to not buy the wife a Storm 2 as she said she wouldn't use the features She only talks and receives texts. I have about $164 invested in monthly rate for us (no kids at home). Maybe I can get unlimited for the same price. I am a fat boy and like all you can eat........<g>.
    01-17-10 10:19 AM
    I think this is ridiculous. Everyone that I know that has those phones don't have or want a data plan. They just use the phone for texting and calls. I think that they should allow customers to choose whether or not they want a data plan. I know many people who have these types of phones that don't even know what a web browser is or where to even find it on their phone and now Verizon wants to make it a requirement that to purchase any non-smartphone with a keyboard you must get at least a $10 data plan. Many older people have these phones for texting because it is simply easier to use with a full keyboard rather than having to use ABC or Word and now they are going to have to get a data plan for $10 a month per phone that they will never use?
    Also this is bad for us because with all these popular phones needing data plans, is the Verizon network going to become overloaded with traffic like AT&T is? If everyone and their brother now have a phone with a data plan and are using it, what Is going to happen to the network?? Will our speeds be throttled to provide enough bandwidth for these new non-smartphones that now have data plans? I think this is a very bad choice for Verizon and en even worse choice for AT&T who is making any customer who purchases a phone with a keyboard get either a $20 unlimited texting package or a $30 unlimited data package. Their network already can't handle the data from iPhone users and now their going to make it mandatory that if you buy a phone with a keyboard, you must have a data plan?

With all these new non smart phones using data AT&T is going to be in for some real trouble and I can almost guarantee that Verizon will be loosing customers left and right because their phone selection already puts them at a disadvantage and the customers who purchase the En V phones don't want to get get ripped off with a $10 data plan for 25 mb a month-- They just want the phone for texting. If they wanted a data plan, wouldn't it be better for it to be optional so they can choose to have it or not? Why not give customers the choice of what they want, rather than forcing them to have a data plan that most people wont even use. I understand that people enjoy checking their Facebook, updating their Twitter accounts and the whole social media type of thing (I do. Which is why I CHOOSE to have a smartphone) but this isn't the time to force people into paying more a month for something they may never use. We are in a recession right now, the unemployment climbs higher everyday and people are going to have to make the choose to either have food on their table, or get rid of their cell phones that are constantly increasing in price.

Not only do I believe that consumers should be able to choose what they want, but they are simply being ripped off by this new mandatory data plan. Ten dollars for 25 megabytes is very pricey, that's 40 cents per megabyte and with the poor tools Verizon offers to track your usage many individuals will end up going over. I can say this with experience, I use about 300 megabytes of Data a month on my Blackberry and If I decide to go on Youtube and watch a video, then go to check my data usage, it takes a few days for the data I just used to populate on their website or the My Verizon app. on the phone. If these carriers plan on making data mandatory on non-smartphones, they at least need to provide an up to date tracking solution so people can tell how much data their using in real time. If a user that goes on with say their En V Touch and checks their Facebook a few times and then later checks My Verizon to see how much data they used, it may say they only used 15 megabytes so they think they have 10 remaining megabytes that their data plan allows, without going over and next thing they go back on the web to a few sites and now they check back and their over by 10 megabytes because originally when they checked their data usage, they were already over but it didn't update in the system.

I just thought I would bring this up. The press seems to put this as a good thing because they are reducing the price of their unlimited voice plans, but making it back by forcing customers into a mandatory data plan which is only ripping off consumers. When I had an LG Dare on the connect plan it was only costing me $10 for unlimited data. That was a year and a half ago and mobile internet has been out longer now, so you would think that the price would degrease as time goes on. But that's not the case, its big businesses screwing over consumers. T-Mobile and Sprint are doing the right thing and they will see a positive gain by it, when people get fed up and switch over. What do you guys think?

If you haven't seen the Press statement heres where you can view it: Verizon Wireless Offers Simple, Affordable Convenience With New Unlimited Voice Plans
    AT&T messes with plans in wake of Verizon's moves, slashes unlimited voice pricing -- Engadget
    Last edited by runnerboy967; 01-17-10 at 11:33 AM.
    01-17-10 11:05 AM
    I guess for some it will be great for others it will suck. The 9.99 data requirement may be good because if you get say a media phone for your kid a bill can easily be run up if u forget to block all data......
    01-17-10 12:47 PM
    Compared to the per mb charges, the 25mb feature saves up to $40.

01-17-10 04:11 PM
    Just because you don't agree with it, that doesn't mean it's a scam people.
    01-17-10 04:48 PM
    I agree its lame, but it's not a scam. I really want carriers to be a dumbpipe and not always try to put their hands into every aspect of my service. Verizon seems especially bad at this, although they have been getting better over time.

I really hope that LTE brings about major changes to plans and prices.
    01-17-10 05:05 PM

There are quite a few people here who insist that the easy remedy for the problem is to just not buy a 3G capable phone. In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of helpful features on 3G capable phones that do NOT use data.
    I do have to make a remark on this. There are still a few non-phone PDAs out there. A popular example would be the iPod touch. Hewlett Packard makes a few windows mobile models as well, and the rumormill has it the Nintendo DSi will eventually get true PIM capability. (That is, one that doesn't have Hello Kitty all over it.) For all it's trouble, mostly due to how long it's been out, nothing matches that iPaq 210's screen.

If you really, really don't want a convergent device with a data plan, nothing is stopping you from getting a good, solid flip-phone (on which things haven't changed) and getting a separate PDA or even a UMPC. People have been doing this since the mid-90's. Sheesh, I was still doing it up until a month ago, and it wasn't a horrible punishment or anything. (Though the difference was that I was getting internet for said device by tethering.)
    Last edited by Polychrome; 01-17-10 at 05:51 PM.
    01-17-10 05:45 PM
    What about an older enV? If one were to buy an enV on eBay, would a $9.99 data plan still apply? That is one of the better devices I have used, before I went to smartphones.
    01-17-10 05:57 PM
    What about an older enV? If one were to buy an enV on eBay, would a $9.99 data plan still apply? That is one of the better devices I have used, before I went to smartphones.
    I don't know for sure, but assume it would be the same still. I just downgraded Friday from my Droid to my old enV and they allowed just voice while putting a block on text/data.
    01-17-10 07:05 PM
    It's not a scam. It's legit. Just because you're not happy that there will be a req data package doesn't mean anything. As far as BB users go, it doesn't affect us anyway. Carriers change their plans from time to time. It's not just Verizon. And it's their right to run their business as they wish. Verizon is a corporation and just like any other for-profit company they want to make money.
    01-17-10 07:40 PM
    The way I see it is this, if you don't want to pay the data charges and only want a phone for calls and text, then get a phone that does this. Do not get one that has all the bells and whistles and expect not to pay for the use that most say they do not do.

The calls that are seen for VZW and credits issued for use of data services that they did not want and then end up using is huge.

Then reps hears, but that phone is ugly, its a phone to communcate or,

I only check emails a few times, let see the past billing cycle you downloaded 50 pictures @ 1.99 per MB, pics can average 500 KB. do the math. At least once, I am sure VZW has credited for the service used, when they did not have to.

I am sure the 9.99 per month for the 25 MB that would have covered the pictures is a lot less. Also if you go over it is .20 per MB, a lot cheaper than 1.99

Suck it up and get a device that meets your needs.

I love babbling and hope the above makes scense.
    01-17-10 09:04 PM
    I'm sure glad that I'm one one of the many people who have coverage with T-Mobile and don't have to rely on Verizon. They may have superior coverage but their prices are outrageous and they're not even getting cheaper.
    Uh they just lowered prices by 30%... which means their unlimited plan is only $20 more a month than T-mobiles.

Please, research before you speak.
    01-17-10 09:07 PM
    The way I see it is this, if you don't want to pay the data charges and only want a phone for calls and text, then get a phone that does this. Do not get one that has all the bells and whistles and expect not to pay for the use that most say they do not do.

The calls that are seen for VZW and credits issued for use of data services that they did not want and then end up using is huge.

Then reps hears, but that phone is ugly, its a phone to communcate or,

I only check emails a few times, let see the past billing cycle you downloaded 50 pictures @ 1.99 per MB, pics can average 500 KB. do the math. At least once, I am sure VZW has credited for the service used, when they did not have to.

I am sure the 9.99 per month for the 25 MB that would have covered the pictures is a lot less. Also if you go over it is .20 per MB, a lot cheaper than 1.99

Suck it up and get a device that meets your needs.

I love babbling and hope the above makes scense.
    I have to agree with LR on this.
    I currently have 5lines=9.99, and I am on the family share plan @ 3000 min, unlimited text and pic messaging ( I believe my plan is the select).
    Exisiting customers don't have to change if my understanding is correct.
    My monthly bill is with my Droid is right at about 230.00 with my corporate
    discount. So I may just stand pat.

Also looks from what I see right after the 2000 or so minutes it goes right
    into unlimited?
    01-17-10 09:22 PM
    I have to agree with LR on this.
    I currently have 5lines=9.99, and I am on the family share plan @ 3000 min, unlimited text and pic messaging ( I believe my plan is the select).
    Exisiting customers don't have to change if my understanding is correct.
    My monthly bill is with my Droid is right at about 230.00 with my corporate
    discount. So I may just stand pat.

Also looks from what I see right after the 2000 or so minutes it goes right
    into unlimited?
    You are correct - with unlim though you would lose the employer discount. You must review to see which would actually be a better deal for you.

Yes, as long as the unlim pans have been around, they do not qualify for any discounts.
    01-17-10 09:31 PM
    True but they've raised their ETF to $350 (for smartphones) and adding the $10/month plans to (select) dumbphones seems ridiculous. And still, $20/month is still $240/year and $480/2 years.

I do like the fact that Verizon offers one year contracts but now T-Mobile offers no contract plans (EM+). I'm just hoping Verizon can one day lower their monthly rates significantly to compete with T-Mobile or Sprint's monthly rates.
    Why should they, or could they, as VZW has a much larger netwrok to maintain. This is only one reason I am sure. If TMO works in the areas you are at and go to, then you benefit from lower rates.

Even though TMO is less, I do not see any huge growth with this company here on the US due the lower rates.
    Last edited by lastraid; 01-17-10 at 09:46 PM.
    01-17-10 09:38 PM
    True but they've raised their ETF to $350 (for smartphones) and adding the $10/month plans to (select) dumbphones seems ridiculous. And still, $20/month is still $240/year and $480/2 years.

I do like the fact that Verizon offers one year contracts but now T-Mobile offers no contract plans (EM+). I'm just hoping Verizon can one day lower their monthly rates significantly to compete with T-Mobile or Sprint's monthly rates.
    Lastraid basically stated it for me. The higher rates allows Verizon to build, expand, and maintain it's network footprint. It allows the company to have LTE deployed nearly a year before AT&T (who actually is the same price) and way before T-Mobile even has a strong 3G network and now with the price cuts it's only marginally more expensive for Verizon than T-Mobile (unless of course T-Mobile cuts their plans again)

$20 a month for better coverage, voice quality, faster data speeds? I mean if t-mobile works in your area and gives you what you need, great. We wouldn't want one cellco anyways.
    01-17-10 09:44 PM
134 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD