02-03-10 11:25 AM
134 123 ...
tools
    It was already commented on a little in another thread, but we need to complain about this:

While they are indeed lowering the prices of some of the most expensive plans (which probably carry a larger profit margin to begin with), it is hiding the big $$$ secret that will kill many new phone purchases, or in the least **** people off.

Starting Monday, Verizon is going to REQUIRE $10/month, or $240/2-yr contract for 25MB of data. There are MANY problems with this.

1) I understand there are a ton of dumb users out there who rack up data costs "by-the-MB" and then complain and VZW gets screwed. Still, how many people could this be? And why not let THEM pay instead of all new phone buyers? If you go over your limit and spend $10+ twice on data, VZW automatically signs you up for the $10/month plan. Or decide to make it explicitly clear in advertising and in-store that data costs money (several misleading VZW ads claim otherwise).

2) We are all BB users, but how many people in your family don't have BBs? Most teens have text phones and now the latest phone, in addition to high text rates (texts don't cost too much to VZW compared to other services)...in ADDITION to paying more for texting, now they'll be forced for data as well.

3) There are geniune users out there that won't use data. Parents block from kids and they still get hit. My mom...will never use data; just want to learn how to text. And they are going to block these sales when people go in and find out it's $10/month.

4) I think VZW charging people to browse their store is rediculous, but that's another story...

5) 25MB? That's it? Many BB users claim up to a GB a month in data for $30. NO value here, they are getting straight ripped off, unless you compare it to the "pay as you go" rate which is ludicrous already.

I'm going to go out and BUY the next text phone IMMEDIATELY before these "discounts" take hold. Nice play, VZW, we've seen it before. If only ATT can improve its network a little...
    01-15-10 01:31 PM
    AT&T will be next. It's all about free market, if customers refuse/complain. It will change.
    01-15-10 01:36 PM
    Shop somewhere else, no one makes anybody buy from VZW, and you have some of those rate plans wrong, need to wait till monday before we can say anything
    01-15-10 01:38 PM
    This is a god heads up
    01-15-10 01:40 PM
    AT&T will be next. It's all about free market, if customers refuse/complain. It will change.
    Unfortunately it will not because at this stage of the game it's all about network size and not much else. I wonder if we will get to a point where the networks level out and they begin competing on phone selection, customer service, efficiency internally (leading to lower prices), etc.
    01-15-10 01:43 PM
    Sorlipm is right. If you don't agree with Verizon's pricing policies, shop somewhere else. The bottom line is the only thing that matters to any of the carriers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 01:44 PM
    Sorlipm is right. If you don't agree with Verizon's pricing policies, shop somewhere else. The bottom line is the only thing that matters to any of the carriers.

Going to get the phone before the plans take place Monday. ATT does not have good coverage in my area, and you aren't really saving anything going to Sprint, so it's not worth changing.

But it's good to point these things out; maybe we can save a few users some money in these tough economic times.
    01-15-10 01:46 PM
    It really was a good PR job, lower some of the plans rarely utilized and claim to "lower prices" while stiffing over a huge number of users the next time an upgrade comes around.

I wonder how many will take it up the rear vs. getting an even "dumber" text phone.
    01-15-10 01:51 PM
    Pick a phone that won't require the minimum data plan. Simple.
    01-15-10 02:03 PM
    And how many of those are left? Would you buy a crappy $20 phone that doesn't have a keyboard? All of the text phones are being charged here.
    01-15-10 02:06 PM
    And how many of those are left? Would you buy a crappy $20 phone that doesn't have a keyboard? All of the text phones are being charged here.
    The Samsung Intensity is not going to require a data plan

01-15-10 02:21 PM
    The what???

I'm surprised they let that one slip under the radar. Must be on its way out or something...I don't see people lining up to get the Intensity, it's the ENV3 and Alias that's going to cause the most damage here.
    01-15-10 02:24 PM
    They are? Odd. Might wanna dig a little deeper into what phones don't require the data plan.
    01-15-10 02:25 PM
    The what???

I'm surprised they let that one slip under the radar. Must be on its way out or something...I don't see people lining up to get the Intensity, it's the ENV3 and Alias that's going to cause the most damage here.
    The Intensity is actually pretty popular. It's not on it's way out nor will it have the data plan restrictions.

It's didn't slip under the radar. It's not a 3G capable phone.
    01-15-10 02:26 PM
    I was a Sprint customer for 5 years before I moved to Verizon. Sprint's customer service was excellent but their coverage sucked. I moved to Verizon about a year ago. The coverage is far superior to Sprint's. I haven't had to deal with customer service yet so I don't know about that. It's all about what you're willing to tolerate and what you aren't.

I don't have a problem paying a little more to *know* my phone will work no matter where I go.

01-15-10 02:55 PM
    I was a Sprint customer for 5 years before I moved to Verizon. Sprint's customer service was excellent but their coverage sucked. I moved to Verizon about a year ago. The coverage is far superior to Sprint's. I haven't had to deal with customer service yet so I don't know about that. It's all about what you're willing to tolerate and what you aren't.

I don't have a problem paying a little more to *know* my phone will work no matter where I go.

No need to deal with CS yet - this must tell you something as well
    01-15-10 03:17 PM
    Very few are using Zach Morris phones anymore and if you are then none of this has an impact. The bottom line is that everyone is getting fancy new devices that can do a lot and Verizon is charging for it. One way to justify everything is that VZW does put money back into the network and has always been improving it, unlike some other carriers.
    01-15-10 03:20 PM
    Exactly..........
    Watch what u buy
    01-15-10 03:23 PM

My experience with VZ customer service has been top notch.
    01-15-10 03:25 PM
    Amazing how many people on here are in love with Verizon, in an industry just as crappy as cable TV. Nu
    01-15-10 04:04 PM
    Amazing how many people on here are in love with Verizon, in an industry just as crappy as cable TV. Nice reps at the call center are good for when idiots break their phones, but it takes NOTHING away from this deceptive price increase. For an industry leader they sure make some terrible decisions.
    01-15-10 04:05 PM
    Amazing how many people on here are in love with Verizon, in an industry just as crappy as cable TV. Nu
    Your point being? There are also lots of people here that do not like VZW. like you and those on other carriers. So, how does this tie into the title or subject matter of this thread that you started?
    01-15-10 04:07 PM
    Double post due to glitchy .419 keyboard, mybad lol
    01-15-10 04:07 PM
    Your point being? There are also lots of people here that do not like VZW. like you and those on other carriers. So, how does this tie into the title or subject matter of this thread that you started?
    Because I'm shocked that some people will go as far to defend this awful decision, just because their rep was nice about replacing their phone or changing a billing error. Amazing how far decent CS will go for some power users, but I think that's completely unrelated to the issue at hand.
    01-15-10 04:28 PM
    Because I'm shocked that some people will go as far to defend this awful decision, just because their rep was nice about replacing their phone or changing a billing error. Amazing how far decent CS will go for some power users, but I think that's completely unrelated to the issue at hand.
    Maybe the FCC should be looking this practice as well. The problem is that almost every phone is a multimedia phone these days. I'm still not clear on why one can't get a Blackberry without a data plan. Not that I would want one. It's a marketing decision nothing else.
    01-15-10 04:54 PM
134 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD