Hi. I love your forums. I have a bunch of questions. First, here's the background.

My husband and I have both had Verizon for a while, but our end dates are different. (If his contract was anywhere near the end, I'd dump VZW in a heartbeat. Unfortunately we're stuck for a while longer, and my phone broke.)

He has a BB Storm and I JUST got a Rogue... it's my first phone that did anything but make calls and send txts. My phone is the primary, his is the secondary. We're on the Basic 700... with the 15% discount that I get for working at the local university, it's $69 for the 2 phones. We also pay for the $5 texting on both, and his has the $45 data plan because of the way his company does email.

I was told, by different people at the local independent reseller, local corporate store, and customer service online that the $9.99 required data plan would include pushed IMAP email.

Obviously, once I got the phone, I realized they had been wrong. After a day of arguing with various VZW people (trying to get a couple of free months of email, or a free case, or heck even a free screen protector) I sucked it up and signed up for the $5 mobile email plan, which everyone said would include pushed IMAP email.

Then, once I signed up for the email service, I realized they had AGAIN been wrong. I can only get email when I go looking, it doesn't go DING DING DING when I receive one.

To add insult to injury, I think it is completely and totally unfair (at best) or even criminal (at worst) that you pay separately for email and data and then your data usage gets dinged for every kb of emails that you receive. WHY am I paying extra for email if you're going to charge my data plan? They're double dipping!!!!!!!!! Class action lawsuit anyone? If I was correctly informed before the new data plans went into effect, you used to be able to get the $5 email without a data plan at all, so if that's true, it's not like you NEED a data plan to make the email work!

Oh... and let's not forget that at the end of the day I stopped by the local auth reseller and they couldn't move my contacts b/c their magic black box hasn't been updated to do the new phones yet.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is there a hidden setting where I can have the Rogue look for new email every few minutes?

2. If I were to switch to the Samsung Omnia, how much would I have to pay in order to get pushed email and ANY data? Would I rack up data charges so much faster on a "smart" phone (instead of an enhanced multimedia phone) that I would NEED to get unlimited data?

3. Most importantly: In various places online, I have found people blithely stating that for $5 less than the old $20 email/VPak combo, you can upgrade to Connect... also I've seen that you can get voice plans starting at $40 and that the Connect plan starts at $69. The graphic below is just one of those references, and (I assume) a reliable source. HOWEVER, the VZW site says Connect costs $120!! WTF is going on??????????????

Well crud, I can't post a link or picture in my first post. Just paste this into your browser bar:
    media.boygeniusreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/vzw-090931.jpg

Disclaimer... I've never had a BB before, never even used one, and don't feel drawn to them. I want a touch screen and a real keyboard, which I don't think exists as a BB. So all my potential solutions, thus far, have not considered the fact that for $30/mo I could have all the data/push-email I wanted.
    09-16-09 12:54 PM
    Hi. I love your forums. I have a bunch of questions. First, here's the background.

My husband and I have both had Verizon for a while, but our end dates are different. (If his contract was anywhere near the end, I'd dump VZW in a heartbeat. Unfortunately we're stuck for a while longer, and my phone broke.)

He has a BB Storm and I JUST got a Rogue... it's my first phone that did anything but make calls and send txts. My phone is the primary, his is the secondary. We're on the Basic 700... with the 15% discount that I get for working at the local university, it's $69 for the 2 phones. We also pay for the $5 texting on both, and his has the $45 data plan because of the way his company does email.

I was told, by different people at the local independent reseller, local corporate store, and customer service online that the $9.99 required data plan would include pushed IMAP email.

Obviously, once I got the phone, I realized they had been wrong. After a day of arguing with various VZW people (trying to get a couple of free months of email, or a free case, or heck even a free screen protector) I sucked it up and signed up for the $5 mobile email plan, which everyone said would include pushed IMAP email.

Then, once I signed up for the email service, I realized they had AGAIN been wrong. I can only get email when I go looking, it doesn't go DING DING DING when I receive one.

To add insult to injury, I think it is completely and totally unfair (at best) or even criminal (at worst) that you pay separately for email and data and then your data usage gets dinged for every kb of emails that you receive. WHY am I paying extra for email if you're going to charge my data plan? They're double dipping!!!!!!!!! Class action lawsuit anyone? If I was correctly informed before the new data plans went into effect, you used to be able to get the $5 email without a data plan at all, so if that's true, it's not like you NEED a data plan to make the email work!

Oh... and let's not forget that at the end of the day I stopped by the local auth reseller and they couldn't move my contacts b/c their magic black box hasn't been updated to do the new phones yet.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is there a hidden setting where I can have the Rogue look for new email every few minutes?

2. If I were to switch to the Samsung Omnia, how much would I have to pay in order to get pushed email and ANY data? Would I rack up data charges so much faster on a "smart" phone (instead of an enhanced multimedia phone) that I would NEED to get unlimited data?

3. Most importantly: In various places online, I have found people blithely stating that for $5 less than the old $20 email/VPak combo, you can upgrade to Connect... also I've seen that you can get voice plans starting at $40 and that the Connect plan starts at $69. The graphic below is just one of those references, and (I assume) a reliable source. HOWEVER, the VZW site says Connect costs $120!! WTF is going on??????????????

Well crud, I can't post a link or picture in my first post. Just paste this into your browser bar:
    media.boygeniusreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/vzw-090931.jpg

Disclaimer... I've never had a BB before, never even used one, and don't feel drawn to them. I want a touch screen and a real keyboard, which I don't think exists as a BB. So all my potential solutions, thus far, have not considered the fact that for $30/mo I could have all the data/push-email I wanted.

Ok, well, first thing, is that the people were obviously wrong, and its honestly unacceptable, however, you do have 30 days, and you should return the phone, if it is not the one you want. If it is an authorized retailer you purchased it from, just make sure you take it back to one of their locations.

Second, you can go to the connect plan, the reason why the prices are different are because you were comparing the single line plan to the family plan. Your plan would be 110, if you wanted to go connect, because a bb can not be on a connect plan.

Samew with the omnia, however, the omnia doesnt have a physical keyboard as well, so i dont know what you were thinking about there.

You have your thirty days, take advantage of it. But dont rush into another decision, you can only do it once.

Also, data for your omnia, will be 30 dollars a month.

Also, go to a local corporate store, or use backup assistant if you want your contacts. These are things that vzw supplies so you dont have to rely on a machine to work in order to get your contacts.
    Last edited by MofoMagic; 09-16-09 at 01:06 PM.
    09-16-09 01:04 PM
    So you want the best email capable device, which is a BB, but you dont want a BB?! Damn thats a tough one!
    09-16-09 01:16 PM
    To the OP, you are paying 9.99 for data which is just that data. It covers MB usage for anything on your phone that uses data. If you were informed it covered email that is wrong. Mobile email is separate because its a different product. And Mobile Email does not support push email it will alert you every 30 mins that you have mail. So that's why it doesn't " ding ding ding" every time you get an email. I would recommend the HTC Touch if you want a Win Mo device with a touch screen and a physical keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-09 02:06 PM
    I would suggest a blackberry if you want Push email.
    It outshines most (if not all) other devices for email capability. $30 data plan is required on all BB phones. It does not include texting, which is separate.
    09-16-09 02:19 PM
    Second, you can go to the connect plan, the reason why the prices are different are because you were comparing the single line plan to the family plan. Your plan would be 110, if you wanted to go connect, because a bb can not be on a connect plan.

Samew with the omnia, however, the omnia doesnt have a physical keyboard as well, so i dont know what you were thinking about there.

Also, go to a local corporate store, or use backup assistant if you want your contacts. These are things that vzw supplies so you dont have to rely on a machine to work in order to get your contacts.
    Thanks. I didn't realize BBs can't be on the Connect plan, you'd think somewhere along the line one of the many VZW people that I spoke with would have TOLD me that.

Omnia... I knew it doesn't have a physical keyboard, just keep forgetting details. Been thinking about this too long. OK... so then if I were considering the Omnia I might as well consider the Storm, as it would be the same price for the services.

I assumed that I couldn't use the online service as the screen on my old phone is completely dead... but didn't try so if I'm wrong "my bad". Didn't realize corp stores had more capability with transferring contacts... I avoid my local corp store like the plague, all the employees there are really rude and no more knowledgeable than the auth retailer or the 800#.
    09-16-09 03:05 PM
    So you want the best email capable device, which is a BB, but you dont want a BB?! Damn thats a tough one!
    I didn't know that I was asking for "the best". I tried to ask questions but nobody was truthful with me... tried to educate myself online but the VZW website is hard to understand. They have kitchy names for things that don't mean anything and then they don't explain what it is. You need a Cell Phone Technology degree.
    09-16-09 03:08 PM
    ...Mobile Email does not support push email it will alert you every 30 mins that you have mail...
    It does? I can live with that. See, nowhere except here have I heard that.
    09-16-09 03:09 PM
    What exactly is the problem at hand? Are you looking for a phone that can do email?
    Last edited by blue_and_bold; 09-16-09 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Bein nicer
    09-16-09 03:10 PM
    Sorry if my questions have seemed inane or unfocused, this is my first experience with a phone that does email or internet (as I said), so I truly know nothing except what the VZW employees told me. Which, if I haven't made that clear yet, was completely and totally wrong!

To answer your question, I'm trying to decide whether the Rogue will do what I want. At this stage, I think what I want is reasonable web browsing and IMAP email capability.

If the Rogue really does check for new emails every 30 minutes, then that's a lot better than just waiting until I go looking.
    09-16-09 03:21 PM
    Yeah but let me tell you a bb is almost the easiest phone to setup email on.
    I've personally had a ton of issues(not with the rogue) but setting email up on other phones comparable to the rogue.
    09-16-09 03:24 PM
    I have the email set up, I just don't know how to make it check for new emails every 30 minutes. Can anyone confirm this capability?

Incidentally, I WAS pleasantly surprised to find that the Rogue allows up to 10 IMAP/POP email accounts. It's too bad, though, that if you only have one email account set up, it still makes you choose which one you want to check. There should be a way to just drop an email icon on your desktop and have it open the right account. But that's just me being unreasonably picky I guess.
    09-16-09 03:27 PM
    I honestly don't know if it will check the email every so often might have to look into that further... Anyway, you've got 30 days so test this device to its fullest.
    09-16-09 03:29 PM
    I would really suggest getting the blackberry... You'd be suprise at how simple and addicting it is.

But back to your questions... Usually there are push options for every phone (maybe not as instantanteous like blackberry but something like every 5 minutes). I'm not sure if the Rogue is a Windows Mobile phone, but if it is, it definitely has the option to get download messages from outlook every 5, 10, 30, 60 minutes. It should be somewhere under settings. If you poke around the settings menu you should find it somewhere. And you'll have to edit notification preferences to make a sound and/or vibrate when a new email message comes in. I heard the envTouch is a great none windows/blackberry phone.

I used to have a windows mobile phone and loved it until I lost it. I replaced it with my wifes old pink curve and honestly I rather walk around with a pink phone then that windows mobile nightmare (I do have a black cover to hide it now though, lol). If you like the touch screen stay tuned because rumors have it that the Storm 2 should be coming out any time now and it supposedly is wayyyyyyyyyy better than the storm 1.

Verizon has many innovative phones like the touch pro 2 that just came out as well as some other new phones coming out soon. I would definitely look into the settings though, it would be stupid if the phone didn't have a sound setting for emails.

As far as the plans, yes it is a bit crazy... but go to a sales rep and ask them... the he said she said will always leave you a bit misinformed.

Oh and don't go for the old omnia when the omnia 2 (doesn't have a key board though) is rumored to be out soon. Check engadgetmobile.com for upcoming phone rumors. I would suggest the envTouch (has a keyboard) or the touch pro 2 (has keyboard and definitely push email, but you need the data plan for that).
    09-16-09 03:45 PM
    Open the email account in mobile email, bring up options, then settings, and ensure alerts for new emails are enabled.
    09-16-09 04:58 PM
    Open the email account in mobile email, bring up options, then settings, and ensure alerts for new emails are enabled.
    Exactly - the alerts should work for you if you do this.

Hey gang - with the exception of push capability, Rogue kicks the snot out of BlackBerry - it renders HTML email well & doesn't choke on scripts.

And you can do Web-based email on it with just the data plan.

09-16-09 05:59 PM
    Mr. Butthead, you have made my day. *bows* Thank you. Now... do I need to keep Mobile Email running in order for this to work? If so, how do I minimize that application to do other things? (I'm guessing the answer is no, because this isn't a Windows phone so I doubt it can do email and other stuff all at the same time...?)
    09-16-09 06:55 PM
    Oh... and, does it ding me for data every time it looks for new mail? If so, does it only ding me for new messages, or all the old messages over again? Does it only ding me for the messages on the first page that it brings up (maybe 10 messages)? SEE, I TOLD YOU I was a complete ***** at all this. Baby steps..............
    09-16-09 06:56 PM
    There is no special set up. You select from one of the main email providers it shows (ie Yahoo, AOL, etc) or Other. It walks you through the set up. And it will load your current inbox and alert you with new ones.
    Don't make this so hard.
    If you wanted it easy you would have got a BB.
    09-16-09 09:15 PM
    Oh... and, does it ding me for data every time it looks for new mail? If so, does it only ding me for new messages, or all the old messages over again? Does it only ding me for the messages on the first page that it brings up (maybe 10 messages)? SEE, I TOLD YOU I was a complete ***** at all this. Baby steps..............
    Data is data - it doesn't matter if you're pulling pages, music, files or email. It all piles on.

If you get a reasonable amount of email, don't spend hours staring online at your phone & don't hammer through a lot of music downloads, you don't have anything to worry about.
    09-17-09 01:17 AM
    Your best bet honestly is to just go on the connect plan. With your discount it will definitely give you a lot of features without a huge cost uincrease, and more importantly than that, unlimited mb usage.

At least thats how it sounds.

I could be wrong, ask my wife....it happens a lot. :-)
    09-17-09 08:42 AM
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions even though it's not a BB.

I'm at the point where I think I can deal with the Rogue despite the lack of pushed email. I'd rather have the latest and greatest "dumb" phone, instead of getting the Storm and then wishing 3 months from now (or whatever) that I could get the Storm II. I've never had the latest and greatest of ANYTHING before!

Besides, increasing my monthly charges by $15 is easier to stomach than $30 (BB) or $40 (Connect).

Unfortunately it doesn't look as if the email alerts idea is going to work, it only alerts you when the email application is open... and if you leave it open, you can't make phone calls and the touchscreen doesn't lock. (You can receive phone calls though.) So, not a good solution!

Anyway... thanks!!
    09-17-09 09:01 AM
    Email alerts on my voyager always worked wells

09-17-09 06:51 PM
    I think I have it working now. Not sure what changed...
    09-17-09 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD