Hi, new to the Crackberry world. Was doing windows mobile for quite a while and decided on a change. Played with a friends Blackberry and was impressed enough to make the switch. Picked up a Verizon 8330 works perfect and love it! Came to this site and found the 4.5 so I upgraded, again works perfect and still digging it! Not a single issue...whew!
    I have been lurking for a while and man, you guys (and gals) are good. Seems like I can find any answer I am looking for....so thanks to all for the information and contributions! I do have some thought and questions that maybe someone might consider and respond to;
    - I have been "jonesing" for the Bold until I saw one the other day. Did not look as good in person and was further unimpressed with how it felt in my hand (it's a really big phone). That being said, other than the 3g and the awesome display is there something I am missing? I do not browse and rarely use the video and music functions so I am thinking that I am not missing much. Consider that my current call quality and reception is phenomenal so again, am I missing something? I am not trying to talk myself out of one (when and if it becomes available to Verizon) but realistically trying to understand why I need one. I am a gadget hound as much as the next guy and usually want the newest whatever but in this case I am thinking that I might lose if I get one considering that I am not in love with the size and form factor. Oh and as far as the Storm, I just left touch screen world and plan to stay away for a while.
    - Also, saw that Verizon is now offering the official 4.5 update, any difference between this and the one that most of us got earlier?

Again thanks for a great place to visit and any comments are appreciated.
    11-11-08 07:03 PM
    new to the forums tip of the day: no rambleing, no one wants to read an essay on how your day went
    11-12-08 09:26 AM
    Welcome to CB.

Is your 4.5 different than the vzw approved 4.5. For starters vznav / vzapp zone may not work. also depending on which version you have there may be a few bug fixes (unless yours is newer then there may be a few more bugs)
    Last edited by amofiav; 11-12-08 at 09:49 AM.
    11-12-08 09:46 AM
    Wow, it doesn't matter what forum or topic there's always a **** in the bunch. You actually took the time to respond to my post with that?? Hope it made you feel good about your existence you sorry little person. If you didn't like my post just ignore it......

Old to the forum tip of the day: self righteous, sanctimonious need to knock others to feel good about themselves replies not necessary.
    11-12-08 09:48 AM
    lol!!

welcome to the crack BBSeattle
    11-12-08 09:50 AM
    Wow, it doesn't matter what forum or topic there's always a **** in the bunch. You actually took the time to respond to my post with that?? Hope it made you feel good about your existence you sorry little person. If you didn't like my post just ignore it......

Old to the forum tip of the day: self righteous, sanctimonious need to knock others to feel good about themselves replies not necessary.
    That was pretty funny..... Welcome to Crackberry!!!!!!
    11-12-08 09:53 AM
    Welcome to CB..Ignore the children!
    11-12-08 09:54 AM
    welcome to crackberry!
    11-12-08 10:23 AM
    Welcome to CB.

Is your 4.5 different than the vzw approved 4.5. For starters vznav / vzapp zone may not work. also depending on which version you have there may be a few bug fixes (unless yours is newer then there may be a few more bugs)
    Thanks for the info amofiav!!

BBSeattle
    11-12-08 10:26 AM
    new to the forums tip of the day: no rambleing, no one wants to read an essay on how your day went
    That was pretty freakin rude man!

Welcome to the newbie!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-08 10:30 AM
    I greatly appreciate the warm welcome from all (except for that kid that got beat up in high school too many times).
    I currently participate in several and various forums and yes there are "know it all", "bully's" and "rotten apples" everywhere.....sad.
    My original post was honest and sincere and if a bit verbose...sorry. I see everyday where an honest question is posed and someone feels the need to knock or humiliate the person because they thought the question stupid or the answer obvious. Well isn't that relative?? If the question or thought is posted than clearly the person asking feels it's relevant. In other words, there are no stupid questions. The need to knock a persons question or post shouts I am freaking INSECURE, I know more than you and I am very clever.......
    Sorry for the rant but it irks me to no end because people like this prevent some from participating in fear of unfair retribution from an invalid source.
    BBSeattle.......out, have a nice day!!
    Last edited by BBSeattle; 11-12-08 at 10:56 AM.
    11-12-08 10:38 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry! I'm a Windows Mobile convert myself. I saw the light back in March of this year, haven't looked back since. Regarding the Bold, you do realize that your Curve on VZW is already 3G, so other than the better screen on the Bold, I don't think you'd really gain anything. And you'd be on AT&T, which is a huge negative IMO.
    11-12-08 10:40 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry! I'm a Windows Mobile convert myself. I saw the light back in March of this year, haven't looked back since. Regarding the Bold, you do realize that your Curve on VZW is already 3G, so other than the better screen on the Bold, I don't think you'd really gain anything. And you'd be on AT&T, which is a huge negative IMO.
    Good stuff mpaquette!! Thank you very much, I was not aware that I was already "3G..ing" it, very cool! So the end result is there is no reason at least for me to switch to a Bold when it becomes available.

BBS
    11-12-08 10:53 AM
    Good stuff mpaquette!! Thank you very much, I was not aware that I was already "3G..ing" it, very cool! So the end result is there is no reason at least for me to switch to a Bold when it becomes available.

BBS
    Verizon EVDO = 3G. I don't think Verizon does a very good job of making that clear. AT&T is definitely winning the marketing war there.
    11-12-08 11:00 AM
    That was rude and totally uncalled for. Unfortunately I have seen more and more of this lately. Have even had it towards me.

Welcome to CB and ask all the questions you want/need.

11-12-08 11:02 AM
    That was rude and totally uncalled for. Unfortunately I have seen more and more of this lately. Have even had it towards me.

Welcome to CB and ask all the questions you want/need.

You can count on it, thanks vndlewis!!

BBS
    11-12-08 11:06 AM
    Verizon EVDO = 3G. I don't think Verizon does a very good job of making that clear. AT&T is definitely winning the marketing war there.
    +1 The only way I knew my curve was 3g was on the back at the bottom.. "3G CDMA"
    11-12-08 02:25 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry. Don't let the turkeys get you down. For the most part I've gotten a lot of useful information here.

Hope to see you around...
    11-12-08 05:28 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry. Don't let the turkeys get you down. For the most part I've gotten a lot of useful information here.

Hope to see you around...
    Thanks Jane for taking the time for the kind response.
    I agree, there are a ton of useful and kind people here willing to share their knowledge.

BBS
    11-12-08 05:44 PM
    1) Other than the 3g and the awesome display is there something I am missing?
    Faster processor. Equals snappier response and rendering of webpages.

As the other poster above mentioned, EVDO is considered 3G.

IMO, it will be awhile before the Bold is developed/released on Verizon. It would potentially cannibalize the sale of the Storm. There is heavy pressure on Verizon to sell the Storm in vast numbers in order to keep their US exclusivity.

If you didn't like the size of the Bold, you can wait for the Curve 8900 to be eventually released on CDMA. It is the successor to the current curve and has a smaller body like the current curve.

It actually has a higher resolution screen than the Bold (480x360 vs 480 x 320) but slightly slower cpu (512mhz vs. 624mhz). And if it is on CDMA, it will also be 3G, unlike the GSM version, which is regulated to EDGE (2G).

However, expect a VERY long wait.
    11-12-08 06:43 PM
    I just wanted to chime in on the 3G marketing war....Verizon is getting killed, and the only reason why is because of the iphone "3G". The marketing for that phone was so expansive that your average soccer mom actually gave a crap whether or not her phone was "3G" capable. Forget EVDO verizon, and just start using 3G as the accepted term for hi speed data.
    11-12-08 07:03 PM
    Faster processor. Equals snappier response and rendering of webpages.

As the other poster above mentioned, EVDO is considered 3G.

IMO, it will be awhile before the Bold is developed/released on Verizon. It would potentially cannibalize the sale of the Storm. There is heavy pressure on Verizon to sell the Storm in vast numbers in order to keep their US exclusivity.

If you didn't like the size of the Bold, you can wait for the Curve 8900 to be eventually released on CDMA. It is the successor to the current curve and has a smaller body like the current curve.

It actually has a higher resolution screen than the Bold (480x360 vs 480 x 320) but slightly slower cpu (512mhz vs. 624mhz). And if it is on CDMA, it will also be 3G, unlike the GSM version, which is regulated to EDGE (2G).

However, expect a VERY long wait.

Thanks KINetics, good to know even if there is a wait.
    BBS
    11-12-08 07:49 PM
    Welcome from another newbie!

I am definitely not as literate as I thought when it comes to this new little gadget, but I LOVE IT!
    11-12-08 10:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD