A question to those who work with Verizon or who have dealt with Verizon reps in the past.

A quick bit to my story. I am the 2nd line of my account. The first account is up for new every 2 upgrade, and mine is due up at the end of April, so we are almost there. We always pay our bills on time, never late and in full. Also, ours is a personal account, but linked to one of the larger hospitals in the Boston area (I know its not a HUGE bill and a personal account, but thought I would throw that in there as it might help when I talk to the reps).

Both lines have Blackberry Curves 8330s. At this point, the eligible upgrade phone works 100%, but mine, I pull the battery a couple times a day, deal with lags, apps don't work, blah blah blah. Sure, I might have dropped it a few times, but whatever... We both want to upgrade to be able to take advantage of that bogo sale right now..

My question is, would I have a better chance doing it and getting the upgrade for both phones easier if I called Verizon themselves or if I went to the local stores. I figure I might have to do a little sweet talking to get it to work, but wasn't sure which place would give more leeway.....Also, would it matter which phones (blackberry vs droid vs eris type of thing). would they be more prone to get me a new, say eris since they are unloading stock, vs getting a new droid?

Any thoughts on this one other than waiting till March 1....My phone is REALLY, REALLY driving me crazy that I am paying that much money a month for sub par service (the phone, as I am 100% happy with Verizon)...

thanks in advance..
    03-12-10 01:13 PM
    Hi My Voyager was on its way out and I was a month or two away from being eligible for an upgrade. I called customer service explained that the phone was just about unusable and they authorized an early upgrade and the revised date showed in the system immediatly. Its worth a shot to give them a call
    03-12-10 01:49 PM
    Hi My Voyager was on its way out and I was a month or two away from being eligible for an upgrade. I called customer service explained that the phone was just about unusable and they authorized an early upgrade and the revised date showed in the system immediatly. Its worth a shot to give them a call
    I figured it would be worth a shot calling, but I didn't want to have to go through the "hassle" of sitting on hold, explaining my story and that type of stuff if I just need to drive the hour to my closest verizon store and do it that way. I assume that the folks at Verizon customer service have a more ability to "bend" the rules a bit more.
    03-12-10 01:58 PM
    Call Vzw CS. You will have better luck that way.
    03-12-10 02:08 PM
    Call Vzw CS. You will have better luck that way.
    Kind of what I thought.... The main reason I thought of the store was because an employee might be more prone to bending rules because of commission....
    03-12-10 02:14 PM
    I vote for calling as well. Don't know if its just the goofs in my local store but they are useless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-10 02:15 PM
    Main line can upgrade every year from what CS told me.

03-12-10 02:16 PM
    Main line can upgrade every year from what CS told me.

Yes, when I log into the online account, the main line is good to go for its upgrade. Its the second line that isn't up until April 30. But, if we are going to go all "bogo" I wasn't sure on how it all worked..
    03-12-10 02:18 PM
    Best thing you can do is call and give it a shot. If the CSR says it's a no I would try going to the store, because I have had a rep that let me upgrade early before, it just depends on what their supervisor tells them.
    03-12-10 03:19 PM
    If you're going to another device other than a Blackberry, you might want to deal with the store so they switch your address book for you. I wouldn't even bring up the issues with your 8330; they might just fix it for you and send you on your way.

As for the early upgrade, it just depends on who you talk to and how you act. Just treat the VZW folks nice...because they deserve it.
    03-12-10 03:20 PM
    Call CS and ask them to transfer you to the continuity marketing department (CMO). They will usually allow an upgrade within 30 days of eligible upgrade date.
    03-12-10 03:21 PM
    If you're going to another device other than a Blackberry, you might want to deal with the store so they switch your address book for you. I wouldn't even bring up the issues with your 8330; they might just fix it for you and send you on your way.

As for the early upgrade, it just depends on who you talk to and how you act. Just treat the VZW folks nice...because they deserve it.
    I am not concerned about the transfer situation. I use the google backup "stuff" so any phone I go to, I will just download..

and being nice always helps....no need to be an a$$ when I am trying to do something that I shouldn't.....that won't get me anywhere..
    03-12-10 03:59 PM
    Assuming that there's no past due amount, have a good payment history, and you're congenial on the phone, any decent rep can get that upgrade date moved 30 days. More than that? Not so easy. Not at all.
    03-12-10 08:15 PM
    I know when I have questions about bogo or new every 2, the reps in the store I go to have no idea and have to ask someone else for the answer. I call CS and I get the answers I am looking for leaving me a happy camper. I am with the majority call CS.

03-12-10 09:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD