Ok so I bought a Blackberry Curve via Ebay. My new every 2 date didn't change for an upgrade. For some reason I thought if you upgraded to a new phone...even if you didnt buy directly from Verizon...the date would change. While im estatic that it didnt change i dont want to be pinched from a dream.

I often like to change phones and ive been with verizon for less than a year. So if a newer better blackberry come out next year I want to be sure I can get it at the NE2 price.

Can anyone confirm this for me? Thx
    04-05-09 11:40 AM
    As long as you didn't purchase or upgrade with a VZW phone or sign another contract, nope, it won't change.
    04-05-09 11:43 AM
    No, you have to buy the phone from Verizon. Even if you bought the phone from Verizon and it wasn't time to upgrade it wouldn't change. (Paying retail)
    The way it changes is if you upgrade when you're up for an upgrade AND buy the phone from them. (Renew your contract)

So you can change as many phones and it won't change the date. Wouldn't make sense anyways. Lol.

I don't know if I explained it that well . . .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-09 11:44 AM
    So as long as I don't buy a phone from VZW directly or sign a new contract it will never change?
    04-05-09 11:46 AM
    No, you have to buy the phone from Verizon. Even if you bought the phone from Verizon and it wasn't time to upgrade it wouldn't change. (Paying retail)
    The way it changes is if you upgrade when you're up for an upgrade AND buy the phone from them. (Renew your contract)

So you can change as many phones and it won't change the date. Wouldn't make sense anyways. Lol.

I don't know if I explained it that well . . .

this is good to hear, plus if i decide o buy a new blackberry in a year I can get my insurance on it back
    04-05-09 11:50 AM
    What insurance? The monthly $5 insurance thru Verizon/Assurion?
    04-05-09 11:53 AM
    So as long as I don't buy a phone from VZW directly or sign a new contract it will never change?
    You CAN purchase a phone from Verizon.
    But if you're not up for the NE2 then you pay retail price no rebates no nothing. But it's like buying from somewhere else. It won't change your date.

I don't like signing contracts lol so I buy phones somewhere else x)

04-05-09 11:58 AM
    What insurance? The monthly $5 insurance thru Verizon/Assurion?
    yes that insurance...ive read on here that the insurance is only for the original owner, being that i bought my bb on ebay my insurance is null and void.

however the cs rep told me my insurance covers the bb 2...i guess ill see if i ever have to use it
    04-05-09 12:02 PM
    You CAN purchase a phone from Verizon.
    But if you're not up for the NE2 then you pay retail price no rebates no nothing. But it's like buying from somewhere else. It won't change your date.

I don't like signing contracts lol so I buy phones somewhere else x)

I know I originally went to a VZW store to buy a BB when they told me $400 I was like NO THANKS, so I opted for Ebay. I know my attention spans for phones is short, and I love my BB, as this is my first one, but I know im going to want a newer version eventually when verizon comes out with one thats not the storm.

I dont like signing contracts either then again who does?
    04-05-09 12:07 PM
    Some people do. Haha. Weirdos !

Well you'll be fine if you want to get a new BB with Verizon.

Ah! I want a new BB !

04-05-09 12:29 PM
    Some people do. Haha. Weirdos !

Well you'll be fine if you want to get a new BB with Verizon.

Ah! I want a new BB !

Awesome. Dont we all want newer technological toys
    04-05-09 01:02 PM
    I know I want something new like everyday.
    Besides the fact that I like BB and I'm a sucker for phones lol.

My Curve is awesome. I will always have a special connection with this one. I don't know why.

Your first BB ?

04-05-09 01:07 PM
    When you get a plan, you get a huge discount on the phone, that's your incentive to go with a long term plan. On the flipside, you can pay full price for a phone and not sign a plan. So if you pay fullprice, you can switch to whatever phone is available, without changes or updates to your contract or contract date.
    04-05-09 02:20 PM
    I know I want something new like everyday.
    Besides the fact that I like BB and I'm a sucker for phones lol.

My Curve is awesome. I will always have a special connection with this one. I don't know why.

Your first BB ?

first bb its my <3
    04-05-09 10:40 PM
    When you get a plan, you get a huge discount on the phone, that's your incentive to go with a long term plan. On the flipside, you can pay full price for a phone and not sign a plan. So if you pay fullprice, you can switch to whatever phone is available, without changes or updates to your contract or contract date.
    see thats cool except the phones are sooo expensive...everytime i bought a new phone or changed my plan when i was with sprint i had to extend the contract i think the same rules were with tmobile
    04-05-09 10:42 PM
    see thats cool except the phones are sooo expensive...everytime i bought a new phone or changed my plan when i was with sprint i had to extend the contract i think the same rules were with tmobile
    The carriers need to recoup that subsidy they gave you wheb you but the phone, hence the contact.

Now there is NO reason to extend the contract, simply for changing plans. VZW doesn't do it at all, even though I could see them making a good case for it if you dropped from say, a BlackBerry to a basic dumbphone plan after getting a subsidized smartphone.

Some carriers even charge a fee just for upgrading.

04-06-09 02:45 AM
    Also, check your contract to see if it includes 'Annual Upgrade'. I don't know if they still offer it, but on mine it's included even though they never mentioned it to me. It means that after 1 year of your 2-year contract, you can pay the promotional price for any new phone through Verizon. Or you can wait an extra 8 months and get the New Every 2 discount on top of that promotional price. Of course, if you take the Annual Upgrade, you have to sign a new 2-year contract and it resets your New Every 2 back to 20 months away again.

Hope that makes sense.
    04-06-09 08:34 AM
    With an annual upgrade, you get the 2 year contract price without the NE2 discount, your contract starts over as does your NE2 ticker. It's available to anyone on a base plan of 79.95 or more. Occasionally Verizon will extend it to others at their discretion. I had it given to me once when I lost a phone and did not have insurance.
    04-06-09 11:42 AM
    With an annual upgrade, you get the 2 year contract price without the NE2 discount, your contract starts over as does your NE2 ticker. It's available to anyone on a base plan of 79.95 or more. Occasionally Verizon will extend it to others at their discretion. I had it given to me once when I lost a phone and did not have insurance.
    Its actually 59.99 or higher.
    04-06-09 11:45 AM
    Ok 59.99 then.

EDIT: I know what I was thinking it's the NE2 higher threshold price.
    04-06-09 03:37 PM
    wow thats really good to know, just in case something happens.

I dont plan on switching from verizon so signing a contract with an option for a new phone really doesnt bother me.

my wants for new cell phones gets to be excessive in the 9 years ive had a cell phone ive had about 10 phones in total including my bb. I only lost 2 and both had been found. I recked one at a water park, and there were 2 that just decided to malfunction.

I'd love to get a storm but to me touch screen technology needs to advance more and be perfected before i jump down that road.
    04-06-09 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD