11-05-09 11:18 PM
76 1234
tools
    FYI... emulators are available for the HTC and Moto droid...

I think the moto one is pretty fugly... HTC always make purty phones though.. for the most part.
    The Droid isn't pretty or flashy, but that's what I like about it. I think the design scheme matches the marketing scheme. Nothing in the ads or the hype scream elegance. I actually like the straight lines and weight the phone has. It's a man's phone haha
    11-01-09 09:28 AM
    The Moto Droid has an ARM Cortex A8 processor, which is the same as the iPhone 3Gs. So yes, that processor can handle your everyday multi-tasker and some pretty crazy stuff. You can even overclock it if you want to kill your battery life!

From that article Trendy posted:

I wouldn't worry about the processor speed. The Droid uses an ARM Cortex A8 based processor which is roughly 1.5-2x as fast as the ARM11 cores of previous Android handsets. So a 550MHz OMAP3430 is roughly equivalent to a G1 running @ 775MHz+, only with the lower power draw of the lower clock speed. You can't directly compare the clockspeeds of the two processors without considering their IPC (instructions per clock) performance. In short, the Droid should be plenty fast.

How the OMAP3 should compare to the Qualcomm Snapdragon @ 1GHz is anyone's guess. My suspicion is that the Snapdragon would be faster, but at the expense of battery life. Given that the Droid apparently gets quite good battery life and is fast, I think it may be a decent trade off. We'll have to wait to see them side by side to know for sure, but you won't be making a mistake in getting a phone with either Cortex A8 design.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 11-01-09 at 09:53 AM.
    11-01-09 09:32 AM
    If Droid could manage push email from exchange and Gmail (which it most likely will have the latter) I'd switch and give it a go. I could always just go back to BB.
    I believe with Android 2.0 you can handle multiple exchange accounts. So with the Moto Droid you will be able to handle exchange mail but not with Eries.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 09:50 AM
    The Droid isn't pretty or flashy, but that's what I like about it. I think the design scheme matches the marketing scheme. Nothing in the ads or the hype scream elegance. I actually like the straight lines and weight the phone has. It's a man's phone haha
    Ugly phones die on the market and that one is definitely fugly. +1 Cheeks!
    11-01-09 11:12 AM
    With the run of smartphones coming to VZW between now & Christmas, anyone looking to get that seriously ugly Moto will certainly be sorely disappointed rather quickly.

The Eris is coming about the same time, but with fairly crappy specs.

The Passion is also on its way, as is the Leo - both with 1GHz Snapdragons.

For those on the WM bandwagon, the 800MHz Omnia 2 is nearly here (I know - since August), with a sublime AMOLED screen.

As for that Moto? I've seen better looking laptop power bricks & wall warts. Carry one of those & the iPhone crowd will not only be unimpressed, they'll snicker. The Pontiac Aztek was a decent car, but would you be caught dead driving one of those hideous things?
    11-04-09 12:04 AM
    I wouldn't say the Motorola Droid has crappy specs.. The phone performs very well from what I could throw at it.
    11-04-09 12:07 AM
    I wouldn't say the Motorola Droid has crappy specs.. The phone performs very well from what I could throw at it.
    I said Eris has crappy specs - not Moto.

The Moto doesn't need crappy specs - the Moto logo makes it crappy.
    11-04-09 12:09 AM
    I said Eris has crappy specs - not Moto.

The Moto doesn't need crappy specs - the Moto logo makes it crappy.
    My bad - misread the post!
    11-04-09 12:18 AM
    Verizon will charge more if you use exchange:
    $45 per month on top of your voice plan to add data and Exchange support

They say its the same for BB.???
    11-04-09 12:32 AM
    Its late, Aaron's been drinking, it's no wonder you misread it.
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 11-04-09 at 09:03 AM.
    11-04-09 12:34 AM
    I wouldn't worry about iPhone crowd snickering at the Moto's looks. I would enjoy having a more capable phone... Though I would agree that to some the design may be off putting to some.... But I personally think the look matches the user base. Its a techy phone......

11-04-09 12:44 AM
    Its a techy phone......
    I would say its a Trekkie phone - more Kirk/Sulu than Picard/Worf.

Reminds me of some Ericsson models from the past - like 1998 or so.
    11-04-09 12:47 AM
    As for new phones coming out.... The Moto is currently the cream of the crop... At least from an Android standpoint....

If the Passion comes out and the specs are as rumored, I would have no problem scooping it up...

The new WinMo phones are shaping up quite nicely, but from what I've seen, really aren't catching on all that much with the average user... Now I don't have any numbers to back that up, but the users who go for BlackBerrys or iPhones because of how easily they can pick it up and use it, don't go for the WinMo phones because they take some time to get into...

11-04-09 12:59 AM

Its definitely not a traditional looking phone, but its unique, and something can definitely be said for a noticeable phone... Though again I can see how people may see it as ugly...

11-04-09 01:07 AM
    The new WinMo phones are shaping up quite nicely, but from what I've seen, really aren't catching on all that much with the average user... Now I don't have any numbers to back that up, but the users who go for BlackBerrys or iPhones because of how easily they can pick it up and use it, don't go for the WinMo phones because they take some time to get into...
    I am in your corner on this - WM isn't for grandma, or the technically nave. The Samsung & HTC overlays have gone a long way toward alleviating this, but the reputation is still there.

Still, gobs of capabilities aren't always easy to use or available to the masses. It wasn't too long ago that a car capable of 200MPH was tempermental, hard to get into, had touchy manual transmissions & rode rough. But today, a few tweaks on a Cadillac CTS will get you 190.

We're seeing a similar transformation in smartphones, where high-performance is getting easier, but there are still a few eccentricities.

11-04-09 01:31 AM
    Its definitely not a traditional looking phone, but its unique, and something can definitely be said for a noticeable phone... Though again I can see how people may see it as ugly...
    It is definitely noticeable - like the beautiful woman who wears mumus during the say & turtleneck Amish nightwear to bed. It isn't until you get past all the hooks, buttons & bonnets that you see what is underneath.

Ask phone buyers why they chose their phone & a large percentage will tell you it is because it looked cool.

Most guys will gravitate to the slightly heavy girl with the muffin-top rolls over her low-hanging pants & the tramp-stamp on her lower back & leave the booted beauty in the long seersucker dress with the bonnet & bun sitting in the corner.

Conversely, dress Brad Pitt like Herb Tarlek, complete with white shoes, white belt & plaid suit & the women will run the other way.

11-04-09 01:40 AM

I'm still waiting for some manufacturer to make a real Trek-Phone that's specifically modeled after the communicator thingies.

(Hey, Nokia, you listening? You're the ones that got the whole product-tie-in going!)
    11-04-09 01:52 AM
    I'm still waiting for some manufacturer to make a real Trek-Phone that's specifically modeled after the communicator thingies.

(Hey, Nokia, you listening? You're the ones that got the whole product-tie-in going!)
    I don't know - this phone is awfully close.
    11-04-09 02:05 AM
    Look cool is one thing, but a rep showing off a phones capability is going to also have a lot of influence....

Droid fever is going through Verizon, and a lot of people I know are planning to get it as soon as possible... And of course if the reps are excited about the product, they're going to get the customers excited...

On a side note... I don't know personally know a single person who wants the Storm2... I know they're out there... But Android is what's hot right now...

11-04-09 02:21 AM

Droid fever is going through Verizon, and a lot of people I know are planning to get it as soon as possible... And of course if the reps are excited about the product, they're going to get the customers excited...
    I agree - but my point was that those who jumped fast into a Moto Droid were going to be disappointed, with an emphasis on Passion & Leo. Both of those promise to be much better than Tao/Sholes or Eris.

As to your assertion on the S2, I don't have any numbers to post, but I've heard it is really sucking pond scum in the sales department, as it should. Droid is better, WM is better. Why settle for a poorly designed has-been phone?

I truly think the BlackBerry rise has topped out & the descent is beginning. Consumers are smarter than that & want good things.
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 11-04-09 at 08:55 AM.
    11-04-09 08:52 AM

On a side note... I don't know personally know a single person who wants the Storm2... I know they're out there... But Android is what's hot right now...

It might be hot, but when you question/qualify to any extent, I don't think it's what most customers come in looking for, and that's a device for efficient email delivery. I've talked with quite a few people about the Droid, and directed them to our website and reviews on CNET, etc, to check it out before the release. I had three come back yesterday, two got the Storm 2, one got an original Storm.

The Storm 2 certainly hasn't taken off like the original did. After setting four of them up yesterday, I think I may just like the screen more than I originally thought I did.
    11-04-09 09:11 AM
    So I thought this forum (the Verizon Wireless sub-forum) had a lot of animosity... But I decided to look into the Android sub-forum, and its just full of BlackBerry faithfuls going at it with those who are planning on switching to the Droid... Its quite entertaining to read...

It might be hot, but when you question/qualify to any extent, I don't think it's what most customers come in looking for, and that's a device for efficient email delivery. I've talked with quite a few people about the Droid, and directed them to our website and reviews on CNET, etc, to check it out before the release. I had three come back yesterday, two got the Storm 2, one got an original Storm.

The Storm 2 certainly hasn't taken off like the original did. After setting four of them up yesterday, I think I may just like the screen more than I originally thought I did.
    To be honest, if a person ONLY came in looking for efficient e-mail delivery, I might point them towards a BlackBerry. But by sacrificing the phyisical Qwerty keyboard for a virtual one, its obvious the Storm series isn't just aiming at the e-mailing crowd... The browser is still mediorce, the screen resolution is laughable when compared to the Droid, or even the Touch Pro 2 or Imagio... And while the SurePress is slightly better, that is, it now has four buttons instead of one, it still hasn't proven to be any easier to use than a regular touch screen phone... So if you're willing to cough up $179 for a Storm2... Why not $199 for a Droid or an Imagio? Or why not save $80 and get the Eris for $99...

So while I'd have no problem hooking someone up with a Storm or Storm2, I would feel like I had cheated them if I didn't at least show them some phones that can do so much more...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 11-05-09 at 05:29 AM.
    11-05-09 05:21 AM
    I saw a review, on Giz I think, and they said they weren't too impressed with it. I use my BB's camera a lot. They said that the Droid takes bad pictures and the camera is incredibly slow. Support for multiple gmail accounts isn't so good either. And would it be easy to get my email off of exchange?

I'm starting to see some issues with BBs but still. I can't beat the push email.
    11-05-09 06:29 AM

Most guys will gravitate to the slightly heavy girl with the muffin-top rolls over her low-hanging pants & the tramp-stamp on her lower back

Someone knows me to well
    I have to agree that a great looking device will most times outweigh the better operating device especially for a first time user.
    11-05-09 11:01 AM
    I saw a review, on Giz I think, and they said they weren't too impressed with it. I use my BB's camera a lot. They said that the Droid takes bad pictures and the camera is incredibly slow. Support for multiple gmail accounts isn't so good either. And would it be easy to get my email off of exchange?

I'm starting to see some issues with BBs but still. I can't beat the push email.
    Gizmodo gave it one of the harshest reviews... And still called it the second best smart phone out there. As for the camera, its something that can be fixed with updates...
    11-05-09 03:24 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD