09-29-09 03:00 PM
40 12
tools
    I went to best buy and opened a new account with verizon. I ported over from ATT. I purchased the BB Tour. I like it but Im on my second one. I am still having people tell me they cant hear me while im talking.

I was wondering if I was to use a verizon phone i already have and return this one to best buy will they reset my eligibility so I can buy the storm 2 when it comes out? Im just not very happy with the tour right now.

Thanks in advance.

I am still within my first 30 days.
    Last edited by khart214; 09-27-09 at 09:50 PM. Reason: initial info
    09-27-09 09:45 PM
    Are you within 30 days? Also check BB's return policy as it is different than VZW

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 09:46 PM
    yes im within 30 days
    09-27-09 09:52 PM
    Yes you can return it. Make sure you tell them you want your eligibility reset. They may have to call it in to VZ but that's no biggie. Just make sure you have all the stuff that came with the phone and preferably a receipt, although they could look that up if they have to. Good luck. I'm anxiously awaiting the S2 myself!

09-27-09 09:57 PM
    I went to best buy and opened a new account with verizon. I ported over from ATT. I purchased the BB Tour. I like it but Im on my second one. I am still having people tell me they cant hear me while im talking.

I was wondering if I was to use a verizon phone i already have and return this one to best buy will they reset my eligibility so I can buy the storm 2 when it comes out? Im just not very happy with the tour right now.

Thanks in advance.

I am still within my first 30 days.
    Yes you can return it. Make sure you tell them you want your eligibility reset. They may have to call it in to VZ but that's no biggie. Just make sure you have all the stuff that came with the phone and preferably a receipt, although they could look that up if they have to. Good luck. I'm anxiously awaiting the S2 myself!

there is no eligibility to reset you can return the tour but if you signed a two year contract it will be a two year contract. so no if you return it you will not be eligible unless you go back to ATT
    09-27-09 10:00 PM
    Then whats the point of the 30 day return period? I guess I will have to call verizon in the morning.
    09-27-09 10:17 PM
    there is no eligibility to reset you can return the tour but if you signed a two year contract it will be a two year contract. so no if you return it you will not be eligible unless you go back to ATT
    you can return the phone, then activate your own equipment... so therefore you are technically starting service with your own equipment, in which you can upgrade at 2 yr pricing at any time. thx for playing, you lose.
    09-27-09 10:30 PM
    The eligibility for discounted phone pricing is at the time of new service OR after you've completed X amount of time under contract.

If you return the phone without an exchange, you will not get a discount again until the one-year point.

This practice is standard across all carriers.

If you don't like the Tour, you won't like Storm 2.
    09-27-09 10:49 PM
    The eligibility for discounted phone pricing is at the time of new service OR after you've completed X amount of time under contract.

If you return the phone without an exchange, you will not get a discount again until the one-year point.

This practice is standard across all carriers.

not entirely true twins... within 30 days, you can do a return or exchange, and doing a return will reset you upgrade eligiblity date. if it didnt, they would not have the clause for the restocking fee...

A $35 restocking fee will apply if you exchange your device for a different model or color, or if you return your device and within three days purchase another one
    09-27-09 10:55 PM
    not entirely true twins... within 30 days, you can do a return or exchange, and doing a return will reset you upgrade eligiblity date. if it didnt, they would not have the clause for the restocking fee...
    Which is why I said...

09-27-09 11:02 PM
    isnt your statement saying "if you return the phone without getting another one immediately, you cannot upgrade for 1 year"?????
    09-27-09 11:06 PM
    Wait - so you're saying new customer gets a discounted phone, then returns it - they can get a new discounted phone three months from now? Because the exact opposite was stated by several VZW reps here a few days ago.

You all are trying your best to confuse me.

09-27-09 11:12 PM
    I remember that convo. Need to find it again.

09-27-09 11:14 PM
    find that convo plz... but yes that is what I am saying. if they buy a phone and return it, and activate their own equipment, they are eligible for an upgrade immediately. if they do the upgrade within 3 days, they will be charged the restocking fee. if they wait 4 days, then they just pay promo pricing. just did it for a customer today... upgraded an air card yesterday, returned it (long story there), checked upgrade date, was automatically reset to the old upgrade date.
    09-27-09 11:23 PM
    If he's a new customer, no. It'd pretty much be "return and start all over".

However, his eligibility *is* reset if he's a current customer who buys a phone but returns it.

It's a 2 year contract, but the WFG gives each customer a 30-day "get out of contract free" clause as long as the equipment is returned in "like new" condition.

Figured Twins was worth a quote here, since this whole thread reminds me...

I was pretty much ROTFL this spring when people were treating the Tour like some sort of "magic fix" for the Storm. Things have come full circle, eh?

Blackberries are Blackberries, whether they be keyboard or touchscreen or implanted in your skull. Love 'em or hate 'em, they're pretty much the same device, no matter which one you get. (Just with different screen sizes, keyboards, etc....) Blackberries usually sound about the same in call quality, and tend to have the same quirks in the OS.

It's like returning a CRT television to buy a Plasma because the CRT has burn-in... Sure, there may be different technologies driving the picture, but the base technology is the same, and that pretty, bright picture still comes from charging up those phosphors like there's no tomorrow..
    Last edited by Polychrome; 09-27-09 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Just making sure my analogies work.
    09-27-09 11:27 PM
    I have been looking - but may be able to stop now. Polychrome seems to have backed the way I understood it.

09-27-09 11:44 PM
    the only way the eligibility for a new customer can be 'reset' is if they go back to their old carrier. they can not activate a new line with new equipment, and then return it, and activate their own equipment and have the ability to upgrade prior to one year.. just like twins said.. thats for playing though crackalack... maybe you should read all of what people post and not just what you want to hear.
    09-28-09 07:53 AM
    I just called Verizon and they said for a new customer who activates a new phone and then returns it within 30 days and does not purchase another phone can have their contract reset by the credit department. She said best buy would have to call the credit department to get it reset.
    09-28-09 08:33 AM
    I just called Verizon and they said for a new customer who activates a new phone and then returns it within 30 days and does not purchase another phone can have their contract reset by the credit department. She said best buy would have to call the credit department to get it reset.
    let us know how that turns out.... lol
    09-28-09 08:54 AM
    I think khart214 may be on the wrong track here. New customer returns phone - they can ask for the contract to be reset, as there is no phone to subsidize anymore.

Just got an email back from my account manager on my query - new customer returns phone & doesn't exchange it, they do lose discounted pricing on a new phone. So from that info, jnepsa, polychrome & I appear to be correct.
    09-28-09 03:54 PM
    its late so not gonna get too in depth but...

I looked today. there is no specific policy for this situation. There is also nothing stating you have to wait a certain amount of time to upgrade. So here is my take on the matter: If you buy a phone and return it, it is like you never bought one... which is the same as if you upgrade and return the phone, its like you never upgraded. When you activate a new line of service using your own equipment, you can do it with no contract and can upgrade at any point, just creating a new contract at that point. Therefore, combining those 2 policies, if you start a new line of service buying a phone, then return it and activate your old equipment, its like you never bought a new phone, which would make you eligible. If needed, i can check with my operations consultant about it tomorrow.
    09-28-09 11:38 PM
    Sounds complicated...
    09-29-09 07:36 AM
    its late so not gonna get too in depth but...

I looked today. there is no specific policy for this situation. There is also nothing stating you have to wait a certain amount of time to upgrade. So here is my take on the matter: If you buy a phone and return it, it is like you never bought one... which is the same as if you upgrade and return the phone, its like you never upgraded. When you activate a new line of service using your own equipment, you can do it with no contract and can upgrade at any point, just creating a new contract at that point. Therefore, combining those 2 policies, if you start a new line of service buying a phone, then return it and activate your old equipment, its like you never bought a new phone, which would make you eligible. If needed, i can check with my operations consultant about it tomorrow.

funny last I checked you had to sign at least a one year contract as a new customer even with your own equipment..
    09-29-09 09:42 AM
    funny last I checked you had to sign at least a one year contract as a new customer even with your own equipment..
    I think you are mislead... They are not a new customer because they are thinking of upgrading which means they are up for an upgrade.

"Its like you never bought a new phone, which would make you eligible"

Therfore....
    It would make it seem as though you just switched phones while out of contract.
    09-29-09 09:58 AM
    I think you are mislead... They are not a new customer because they are thinking of upgrading which means they are up for an upgrade.

"Its like you never bought a new phone, which would make you eligible"

Therfore....
    It would make it seem as though you just switched phones while out of contract.
    did you even read the op where they said they "opened a new account", ported from ATT?? or did you just assume because you know all that we are all incorrect?
    09-29-09 10:45 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD