04-01-09 02:09 PM
57 123
tools
    Also make sure you tell them you want the $30 a month data plan. They always sign everyone up for the $45 plan which only adds tethering. It took me three months to notice but they were nice enough to refund it.
    The 45 dollar plan does NOT add tethering.

Tethering is a whole seperate feature.

The 45 dollar plan gives you BES access. Without that price plan the billing system aparently wont let you do any sort of corporate provisioning.

And good luck haggling. Verizon wireless is not in the buisnsess of bartering. The pricing is set by someone who sits in an office in bedminster NJ probably making at least 5 times what I make. and his only responsibility is to think about stuff like that... maybe not, but its an interesting thought
    03-23-09 03:51 PM
    Probably with the excitment of getting the new BB the OP zoned out in ahhh!
    And it was VZW's fault he zoned out?

It was sarcasm! Your are the only one that failed to see that! Geeeeeeez
    I smiled the first time I read that. Then your Geeeeeeez made me crack up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 04:02 PM
    I was just trying to make light of the situation I just don't understand how some people just sign on the doted line and then flip out when they get the bill. I'm the dude that holds up the line so i can read the fine print, even though the plan price is clearly stated and you are informed of the first billing cycle.
    03-23-09 05:24 PM
    I was just trying to make light of the situation I just don't understand how some people just sign on the doted line and then flip out when they get the bill. I'm the dude that holds up the line so i can read the fine print, even though the plan price is clearly stated and you are informed of the first billing cycle.
    Exactly - and as far as the prorating of bills & paying a month in advance goes, CATV, POTS, Internet and even online gaming companies use this for billing processes.

You can see as much as 7 weeks' worth of billing your first bill cycle. Toss in equipment charges and activation fees, and any reasonable soul who didn't crawl out from beneath a rock this morning would know that first bill is going to be larger than normal.

03-23-09 05:51 PM
    That's what I was trying to say, it's like buying a new car and demanding the dealership pay for the engine damage from you lack of maintance. A lot of people like to complain about Verizon and there supposed huge bills, but in comparision to other large network they are roughly the same.

I can honestly say that I do not drop any call, or ever have no service. And for that I am happy to pay my bill in full every month.

Last edited by joeymusleh; 03-23-09 at 09:11 PM.
    03-23-09 05:57 PM
    Also make sure you tell them you want the $30 a month data plan. They always sign everyone up for the $45 plan which only adds tethering. It took me three months to notice but they were nice enough to refund it.
    like someone else mentioned, the system defaults to the 45 dollar plan, and must be manually changed to 30. also ive noticed that the system will rarely leave the 45 dollar plan on sometimes even when changed to the 30. the rep has to pay attention to a box that pops up saying if it really came off or not which is sometimes overlooked.
    03-23-09 10:37 PM
    Verizon does something called "Pro-rate billing" so the FIRST month of your contract you are charged for two months. Next month should be near half the price of your first bill.

EDIT: Whenever you add a new feature to your line you are prorated for that feature. So anytime you add a new feature that is charged to your bill you will be billed for the first 2 months on that one bill.
    what verizon does is called charging in advance. and because they charge in advance (like every other carrier, landline phone, apartments, etc), your bill must be prorated for the portion of your first month. when you first start up an account you get charged from that day till your bill cycle day plus an additional month. the bill cycle day is chosen by the computer randomly.

so if today is the 23rd, and the system picks the 27th as your bill cycle date, you will be charged from the 23rd till the 27th plus a full month plus your act fees. in this case the persons bill wont be too high.

but what happens to some people is they come in on the 23rd, and their bill cycle date is put for the 16th. so the cust will be charged from the 23rd till the 16th of the next month, plus an additional month. this is when a cust gets a real big bill.

lastly, what also messes people up is that if the cust starts a new account with 900 minutes and they start it on the 23rd. and their bill cycle date is the 27th. so this cust will be charged from the 23rd till the 27th plus an additional month. although this customer has 900 minutes, their full 900 minutes dont start until the first day of their bill cycle (the 28th). so from the 23rd till the 27th the customers minutes are prorated. meaning the customer doesnt have a full 900 minutes. because they have 5 days of proration, which is about a 1/6th of the month the customer will also have a 1/6th of their minutes availible to them until the 28th when the minutes reset to 0 of 900. so this means if the cust uses over 150 peak minutes in those first 5 days they will be charged overage.
    03-23-09 10:49 PM
    I am on the family plan w/ 700 mins(unlimited text) , bb service & insurance on both phone around $160 a month not including the 18% corp discount I get in two months. The activation fees are not steep($60 total) but I have never payed one in all the companies that I have been with. Also I should mention that I was under the impression (from what the salesmen told me that they would be wavied) I will have to check my bill of sale when I go home to see if they were in fact wavied.

usually when act fees are waived its because of your emp discount. i dont believe it appears on any of the papers that the rep gave you. sometimes the waiver wont apply automatically and the rep must credit you manually. if he said your act fees will be waived, id call customer service and ask them if your emp discount gives you waived activation on 2 year contracts. if the customer service says yes, ask why it appeared on your first. they should credit you if your entitled.

lastly, you said you used to have sprint. if you had sprint and ever upgraded your phone, they charge you an 18 dollar act fee on your bill. almost every single time you upgrade (i think if you upgraded from nextel to sprint the fee was waived). with verizon, its only charged for brand new customers. upgrades dont get charged it.
    03-23-09 10:55 PM
    I am on the family plan w/ 700 mins(unlimited text) , bb service & insurance on both phone around $160 a month not including the 18% corp discount I get in two months. The activation fees are not steep($60 total) but I have never payed one in all the companies that I have been with. Also I should mention that I was under the impression (from what the salesmen told me that they would be wavied) I will have to check my bill of sale when I go home to see if they were in fact wavied.
    I have also been told by the salesperson the activation fee would be waived. Call customer service and explain this to them. They may just remove the fees. They did for me!
    03-23-09 11:00 PM
    The $45 plan has nothing to do with tethering. It is used for people on a BES server. Tethering is still extra.

And we don't "always" sign people up for the $45 one. The system defaults to that and it has to be manually changed. Reps are supposed to ask which one the customer wants, but that doesn't always happen as you can see.
    you totally stole my thunder haha

guess thats what i get for replying before i read everything...
    03-24-09 11:58 AM
    Typically you want to get this kind of stuff in writing....PRIOR to the sale
    03-24-09 03:23 PM
    As far as the activation fee goes, it should be waived if you have a discount as high as 18%. For accounting purposes, the fee is charged on your bill and then credited off.

Usually the credit is on the very first few lines of your bill. Lots of people miss it cause of where it is. If you do not see the credit by the second bill, call the rep who sold you your phones and ask him/her to check on it.
    03-25-09 01:40 AM
    Exactly: it can take a few bills for the activation fee to go through. If your discount is 18% it should have waived fees.....however this is something that should have been discussed at time of sale.
    03-25-09 08:50 PM
    Haggling with Verizon.

I keep getting a picture in my head of two people in the Middle East haggling over the price of a camel.

Somebody needs to turn in their green card & go home.

03-26-09 10:41 PM
    Haggling with Verizon.

Somebody needs to turn in their green card & go home.

i really dont think that that was appropriate.
    03-28-09 02:27 PM
    i really dont think that that was appropriate.
    And why not? Haggling is accepted in many cultures outside of the US. In many countries, haggling over posted service rates is common, too.

My passport has stamps from over 40 countries, representing six continents - I should know. My family has roots in Mexico, the Middle East and Germany. You need not get on your high-horse & tell me what is appropriate and what isn't.

This PC crap is just that - crap. The day I can only hate or make fun of a white man is the day the world needs to come to an end.

03-28-09 02:45 PM
    Ok so is there a "best day" to sign up for a contract?
    03-28-09 04:27 PM
    Sure any day that ends with the day.
    03-28-09 04:31 PM

The stores are less busy during the week in the mornings .. if that helps.
    03-28-09 10:03 PM
    The stores are less busy during the week in the mornings .. if that helps.
    And, Sat/Sun before 9AM is best for 611.

03-28-09 10:15 PM
    The $45 plan has nothing to do with tethering. It is used for people on a BES server. Tethering is still extra.

And we don't "always" sign people up for the $45 one. The system defaults to that and it has to be manually changed. Reps are supposed to ask which one the customer wants, but that doesn't always happen as you can see.

Thank you, I do more Blackberry's in my store then anyone and I next to
    never do the $45. plan, I'm very good about finding what the person needs
    and putting the correct plan on their acct.
    A BB sale is time consuming if you go over everything with the person that
    needs to be gone over. The last thing I want is that sale returned because
    they are pissed off about a bill.
    03-29-09 03:08 AM

Ok, I will admit, I hate it when people want to haggle over prices with me.
    It is why I do not shop in Mexico. I prefer to see a price and know that
    is what I am going to pay. It's not my cup of tea.
    That being said, end of month is the time to get me for deals.
    I'm often trying to hit some gp number and I'm trying to get in as many
    last minute sales as I can.
    03-29-09 03:12 AM
    I have a few questions, I am a new customer to Verizon (under 30 days) and was wondering if anyone has any input in reducing the cost of there activation fees or monthly plan. I got my first bill and in comparison to what I had(similar to/almost identical plan) with sprint it is almost twice the price. I love my phone but I could go back to my old phone on sprint. Will Verizon work with you on their price? Any Verizon reps have any input? Thanks
    You can't haggle but you may be eligible for some kind of discount because of where you work. For example I get a 20% discount in my plans, some features, and accessory purchases, as well as phones bought at full retail. I also don't have to pay activation fees.
    03-30-09 01:37 AM
    it does not include tethering, actually. the 45$ plan includes the Corporate Provisioning, and THAT is the only difference.

edit: I got too excited to read that other people have responded to this already. Sorry.
    Last edited by eissacdn31rf; 03-31-09 at 04:01 PM.
    03-31-09 03:50 PM
    The only way you can get the activation waived is to get that deal from the representative in the store when you get the phone or if you sign up online. I'm in the military and they waived all fees for three lines for me and a 15% discount. When I got my first months bill though it still had the activation fees so all I had to do was call customer service and tell them about it and the fees were gone. But it showed on my account that they store was going to waive them. I had to still pay the $344 first month bill but I was refunded on my next months bill.
    03-31-09 04:58 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD