04-01-09 02:09 PM
57 123
tools
    I have a few questions, I am a new customer to Verizon (under 30 days) and was wondering if anyone has any input in reducing the cost of there activation fees or monthly plan. I got my first bill and in comparison to what I had(similar to/almost identical plan) with sprint it is almost twice the price. I love my phone but I could go back to my old phone on sprint. Will Verizon work with you on their price? Any Verizon reps have any input? Thanks
    03-23-09 11:01 AM
    no.... how is this even an issue? you knew how much the bill was gonna be before you signed up
    03-23-09 11:10 AM
    with the unlimited data plan you can drop your talk min. to the minimum who talks that much any more now with email & texting.
    03-23-09 11:10 AM
    Verizon does something called "Pro-rate billing" so the FIRST month of your contract you are charged for two months. Next month should be near half the price of your first bill.

EDIT: Whenever you add a new feature to your line you are prorated for that feature. So anytime you add a new feature that is charged to your bill you will be billed for the first 2 months on that one bill.
    Last edited by lyoko37; 03-23-09 at 11:14 AM.
    03-23-09 11:11 AM
    yea the first bill sucks balls. I had a friend sign up with verizon recently. She got her first bill which was like $250, she nearly had a heart attack
    03-23-09 11:16 AM
    Also make sure you tell them you want the $30 a month data plan. They always sign everyone up for the $45 plan which only adds tethering. It took me three months to notice but they were nice enough to refund it.
    03-23-09 11:25 AM
    A bit confused by your question. Didn't you know what your monthly cost would be before you signed the contract? Or, are you suggesting VZW hit you with charges that were unknown or unexpected? Anyway, it's hard to know if your VZW plan cost can be lowered if you don't post info about your plan. You might be on the lowest one already.
    03-23-09 11:25 AM
    no.... how is this even an issue? you knew how much the bill was gonna be before you signed up
    $268 dollars is not what I signed up for but to those with helpful responses ...thank you
    03-23-09 11:26 AM
    It should go down to around $100 to $130 I would guess on the next bill.
    03-23-09 11:28 AM
    $268 dollars is not what I signed up for but to those with helpful responses ...thank you
    if you look at your bill you were charged 2 months and will not get a bill for next month.......I thought you were complaining your monthly access was too high
    03-23-09 11:37 AM
    I finally found on the website, my detailed bill and I can now relax. Has anyone had any luck with them dropping the activation fees?
    03-23-09 11:41 AM
    if you look at your bill you were charged 2 months and will not get a bill for next month.......I thought you were complaining your monthly access was too high
    He will get a bill next month. It will be the bill for April or May. You will get a bill every month but it will be near half the price of what you were charged.
    03-23-09 11:42 AM
    He will get a bill next month. It will be the bill for April or May. You will get a bill every month but it will be near half the price of what you were charged.
    I think I I remember correctly I didnt.. maybe I dont remember correctly....

I dont know...

but you will only be paying about half of that... I am guesing that you are on the 450 mins plus texting plus BIS?
    03-23-09 11:47 AM
    I finally found on the website, my detailed bill and I can now relax. Has anyone had any luck with them dropping the activation fees?
    no but I never tried.....its not that steep of a fee is it?
    03-23-09 11:48 AM
    I can't remember ever seeing activation fees waived after the fact. It's worth a shot, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.
    03-23-09 12:21 PM
    I have had luck dropping the $35 (or sometimes $25, I've seen--second line?) activation, but only by playing skeptical shopper with them BEFORE signing up.

Also have been able to get the $35 device-return fee waived by the same tactic, again BEFORE signing up.
    03-23-09 12:25 PM
    Also make sure you tell them you want the $30 a month data plan. They always sign everyone up for the $45 plan which only adds tethering. It took me three months to notice but they were nice enough to refund it.
    No they don't. I was never put on the bes plan. It may have happened to some, but saying "always" is exaggerating.

I agree with Jim. How did you not know what your 1st bill was going to be? We were told at the time we signed up that the 1st bill is almost twice what your normal bill would be. How did you not know you would be charged to activate your BB?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 12:32 PM
    Probably with the excitment of getting the new BB the OP zoned out in ahhh!
    03-23-09 01:09 PM
    And that becomes verizon's fault how? I got a new BB and I knew about everything.

03-23-09 01:12 PM
    No they don't. I was never put on the bes plan. It may have happened to some, but saying "always" is exaggerating.

I agree with Jim. How did you not know what your 1st bill was going to be? We were told at the time we signed up that the 1st bill is almost twice what your normal bill would be. How did you not know you would be charged to activate your BB?

Perhaps not 'always' but I can understand how someone could say that. I got a Storm, talked at great length about BIS/BES and made it clear that BES was of no use to me. When I returned the Storm (hated it!) I mentioned that I had seen the $45 BB access on my receipt. His response? "They all say that at first, it'll correct itself. It won't be on your bill that way." Now it's on my bill and on my plan (after reverting to the 8330 again).

And nobody mentioned a higher-than-normal bill when I got my first contract (ever) a few years ago, and I do recall being alarmed when I got the first bill. And how exactly could you figure that out if you signed up online? It only tells you what your monthly access charge will be, under ordinary circumstances, and not factoring in miscellaneous fees and taxes.
    03-23-09 01:17 PM
    I am on the family plan w/ 700 mins(unlimited text) , bb service & insurance on both phone around $160 a month not including the 18% corp discount I get in two months. The activation fees are not steep($60 total) but I have never payed one in all the companies that I have been with. Also I should mention that I was under the impression (from what the salesmen told me that they would be wavied) I will have to check my bill of sale when I go home to see if they were in fact wavied.
    Last edited by elamb23; 03-23-09 at 01:22 PM.
    03-23-09 01:18 PM
    You cannot price-compare Sprint & VZW. VZW & AT&T are premium priced, full-service, wide-area carriers. Sprint, MetroPCS, Cricket and, to a lesser extent, T-Mobile, are economy carriers with limited footprints, often lower credit requirements and sometimes spotty customer service.

I can use my VZW service in the sticks, in places Sprint simply tells me to stick it.

There is no price negotiation with any carrier. They all tell you upfront what their rates are, as well as estimate of what your bill will be each month, all before your final signature.

Remember that these are wireless carriers in the US. As such, they do not barter, negotiate, dicker, bargain or haggle with you. You signed a wireless contract - you're not buying a used car or a camel.

If you don't like the price, don't commit to the service.

03-23-09 01:41 PM
    And that becomes verizon's fault how? I got a new BB and I knew about everything.

It was sarcasm! Your are the only one that failed to see that! Geeeeeeez

03-23-09 01:48 PM
    I bought (4) phones in January ..... 2 BB's and 2 LG's. when I got my first bill is was $546 !! After carefully reviewing the bill details, I noticed several discrepancies that need attention. Thankfully the VZW rep was very apologetic, and I was credited for a few hundred dollars off my bill.
    BTW ... with (2) blackberries, (2) LG's ..... 1400 minutes, unlimited text, vz nav, visual voice mail, ringback tones, full insurance on the 2 LG's ( kids phones), and usage controls ..... my bill is roughly $221.00 per month.
    03-23-09 02:06 PM
    The $45 plan has nothing to do with tethering. It is used for people on a BES server. Tethering is still extra.

And we don't "always" sign people up for the $45 one. The system defaults to that and it has to be manually changed. Reps are supposed to ask which one the customer wants, but that doesn't always happen as you can see.
    03-23-09 03:14 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD