Hi, newbie here. I am looking to get a Storm2 which will be my first smartphone, switching and porting my number from Sprint. Right now Best Buy has the Storm2 at $100, which is $80 less than Verizon's web site or local store. Wondering if there is any potential downside to getting the phone at Best Buy, searched these forums and can't see any clear answer.

I plan to get full insurance on the phone, but would getting the phone at Best Buy limit me to getting it serviced there, rather than the local corporate Verizon store?

Does Best Buy have the same technology to copy phonebook entries (from Sanyo SCP-8400 in my case) to a new Blackberry?

Are inter-carrier number porting issues any more likely to occur by using Best Buy rather than local corporate store?

Does not getting the phone at a corporate store affect my "new every two" eligibility in the future?

Thanks for any replies!
    Last edited by Stratoblaster; 03-14-10 at 09:33 PM.
    03-14-10 09:04 PM
    As far as I know, you will have a seperate return policy for the first 30 days but the warranty can still be done through VZW after the 30 days. You will still be able to get your New Every Two and I am unsure if they can transfer your contacts at Best Buy...maybe someone else can fill you in there.
    03-14-10 11:11 PM
    Thanks, you're right I need to just scope out the local BestBuy. For $80 price difference, I'm like "What's the catch?!" Looking forward to joining the world of the Crackberry.
    03-14-10 11:42 PM
    It was $179 at vzw when I got mine but they had the $100 mail in rebate which made it the same price as Best Buy. Not sure if the rebate is still going on. There really is no catch. Like supermario stated you'll just need to take any issues back to Best Buy for the first 30 days. But its a great device and I haven't had any trouble with mine. And porting the number shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't cancel service with your previous carrier first or you will lose your number.
    03-15-10 07:02 AM
    Thanks! Oooh, now I see it's basically free from Amazon Wireless and Wirefly, may try that route.

I assume BB Desktop can import the .VCF phonebook I exported from my current phone, or the .CSV file I created from Sprint Wireless Backup, so maybe my phonebook transfer concern is no big deal? Anyone?
    03-15-10 10:17 AM
    Best buy and wirefly and those places put there own stuff in the contract. So read it before you sign it (I know what a concept huh). That is why it is cheaper.
    03-15-10 10:54 AM
    Thanks! Oooh, now I see it's basically free from Amazon Wireless and Wirefly, may try that route.

I assume BB Desktop can import the .VCF phonebook I exported from my current phone, or the .CSV file I created from Sprint Wireless Backup, so maybe my phonebook transfer concern is no big deal? Anyone?
    If you can transfer your contacts via .csv, you should be able to import those into Outlook and sync your phone with Blackberry Desktop just fine.
    03-15-10 11:20 AM
    I can speak for Best Buy (work there as a 2nd job in Mobile). Buying it at Best Buy gives you no difference service wise. It is activated in the same systems that Verizon uses and your monthly prices and everything will all be the same. You are still a full Verizon customer so you get full verizon benefits (New Every 2 etc) Porting is no problem and is normally completed by the time you leave the store. We have machines at my store that can transfer phonebook and sometimes pictures etc depending on the devices.

As far as servicing the phone on insurance, if you have the Verizon insurance it is not serviced by Best buy OR Verizon, it is handled by a company by Assurion, so that will not change no matter where you get the phone. Best buy does off their own insurance. 9.99 a month, covers against everything except lost/stolen and water damage. Differences is that there is no deductible and is handled by Best buy. It also covers a battery replacement and covers your charger. Blackberries are actually handled with instore NEW phone replacement also.

In the first 30 days if you need to exchange or return a phone it will have to be done at best buy. Past that it will be covered by your insurance or manufacturers warranty. The warranty part can be done by either Verizon or Best Buy but it will be mailed off.

As far as pricing, best buy doesnt do mail in rebates so everything is instant in the store. 99% of the time it is a better deal to go through a reseller than it is through the corporate stores.
    03-15-10 11:31 AM
    I would get your phone from Best Buy. I never had a problem with there phones. I think Best Buy gets a diff stock from VZW
    03-16-10 06:51 PM
    Thanks for all the replies; love the profile pic MissJennell!

I took a chance on Wirefly, phone will arrive later today, looking forward to it! I understand Wirefly's terms and think I can live with them.

I saw online in the system requirements for BB Desktop that it appears to support sync with Yahoo, of which I am a long-time email user. So I imported the .VCF from my current phone into Yahoo Contacts, and cleaned everything up. Hoping I can just dump Yahoo Contacts directly into the new phone (but I guess I'll use Outlook if I really have to).
    03-17-10 12:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD