ok so my wife and i just switched to vz and had some reg phones after already having bb on att. well we go thru our 30 days and decide that we dont like our phones and want bbs again. well we recieved them and there are a few things different about them over atts curve.

1. standard on the bb is the call back number feature for sms so the reciever knows the number to call ya back at.

now the only way i have found to stop this from happening is to go options and sms and delete the number save and go. no thats not too bad but when the device resets it has the call back number on it again.

2. no branding banner on homepage?

no im now im using it straight outta the box and havent done any upgrades to the os so is that why there is no service banner on homepage...

3 the gps isnt that great i had downloaded blackstar a gps app and it said no gps device detected and my gps setting was set to location on so i dont know what to do there...

any help would be welcome so i can know what i do or dont need to do.
    thanks all
    08-15-09 07:19 PM
    Not sure what the question is since that seemed to be a bunch of statements. But I'll give it a whirl.

1. Yep. That's how it works on the 8330. CMDA is different from GSM.

2. Yep. That's how it works on the 8330. CMDA is different from GSM.

3. Yep. That's how it works on the Verizon 8330. The GPS chip is locked except for use with BBMaps and VZNav.
    08-15-09 07:44 PM
    How do you unlock the GPS chip?
    08-15-09 08:02 PM
    You can not on a 8330. The only apps it works with are VZNav and BB maps if I remember correctly at least on Verizon. Not sure with other carriers.
    08-15-09 08:05 PM
    Welcome
    08-15-09 08:24 PM
    Its not that anything is locked...... The phone does not have "GPS", it has aGPS which is different and only accessible by VZNav and Blackberry maps.

There are about 9952236522332822226225 threads about this already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 11:19 PM
    How odd...same phone...different networks and not everything is EXACTLY the same. What a concept!
    08-15-09 11:47 PM
    Its not that anything is locked...... The phone does not have "GPS", it has aGPS which is different and only accessible by VZNav and Blackberry maps.

There are about 9952236522332822226225 threads about this already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Wow, thats a $hit ton of threads!
    08-15-09 11:54 PM
    Error: Double Post
    08-15-09 11:54 PM
    I believe Weatherbug can use the gps also. It did on mine.
    08-16-09 06:21 AM
    ok so my wife and i just switched to vz and had some reg phones after already having bb on att. well we go thru our 30 days and decide that we dont like our phones and want bbs again. well we recieved them and there are a few things different about them over atts curve.

1. standard on the bb is the call back number feature for sms so the reciever knows the number to call ya back at.

now the only way i have found to stop this from happening is to go options and sms and delete the number save and go. no thats not too bad but when the device resets it has the call back number on it again.

no im now im using it straight outta the box and havent done any upgrades to the os so is that why there is no service banner on homepage...

3 the gps isnt that great i had downloaded blackstar a gps app and it said no gps device detected and my gps setting was set to location on so i dont know what to do there...

any help would be welcome so i can know what i do or dont need to do.
    thanks all
    yeeeeah... about the gps... verizon/blackberry has it locked on our network to only work with vzNav and sometimes with bb maps and google maps.
    Not sure what you mean by branding banner on the homepage... should come up as a BING search and then the vzstart icons under that.
    Apples to Oranges really... hope you enjoy the network anyway.
    08-16-09 07:40 AM

It doesn't matter how the phone is set. CDMA automatically IDs the SMS.

Verizon doesn't customize their smartphones.

While they are not the same phone (you cannot run an 8330 on AT&T or an 8300, 8310, 8320 on Verizon), they do have exactly the same gps functionality. Verizon doesn't allow the agps access to proprietary network data. Protecting this is something a CDMA carrier can do while a GSM carrier cannot with the heavily channeled architecture. If you want gps, you're stuck with getting a different phone on Verizon (Tour/Storm/Multiple Winmos), or picking up a dedicated gps device. Or you can get a gps puck for the Curve and it will work that way. The only apps that have applied for and received access to the network location functions are Vznav and BBmaps. The native weather app might do it, too.
    08-16-09 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD