I have been with Verizon for a few years now. I really enjoy the reliability, call quality, and coverage area that Verizon provides. I recently upgraded to a Curve and my girlfriend want a blackberry, too. I saw that Sprint has the "All Everything" family plan for $129.99. It is very tempting to return the Curve within the 30 days and sign up with Sprint, but I am skeptical about Sprint's service. It also bothers me that some functions are locked out by Verizon, but from what I understand the Verizon data network is better than the Sprint network. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
    06-19-08 09:01 AM
    I would stay with VZW, as I have been as well a long time customer. Not only that, after all, they are "Americas most reliable network." lol Seriously though, they are the top U.S. carrier and their sister network Vodafone (last I looked in to it they had a 45% stake in the company) is one of the leading in Europe. That says something about their operations. This means more towers for better quality and more employees to better serve the customer. I've seen friends walk into their carriers offices and get no where with customer service. Whenever I have an issue with my bill or services that they mess up when I upgrade it is usually immediately fixed, if not I ask for a supervisor and it gets handle pretty promptly. Granted this is just from one customers perspective, after all I have heard horror stories people have with VZW. I guess you'll have to weigh out the options from the collective group of people who respond.

I will agree that it does suck that VZW has locked out certain features, but I would argue that the GPS thing is a new feature and thats why it has been locked out. VZW has just recently created their VZW Navigator, I had it on my Voyager and it worked wonders (Voyager sucks I wouldn't recommend it to anyone reading, all hype, gave it to someone in my plan and got a Curve)! I carried the Navigator over to my BB. I think they wouldn't have locked out the BB GPS if they wouldn't have their Navigator. Even though its not in "Beta," I think VZW is still testing it out to see how people pick it up and use it across the network. Thus, they had to block the GPS to truly find out if Navigator is worth their investment and servers. Just my take on it.

You would want the data package anyways with Sprint, "wi-fi" only goes so far.
    I think I touched on everything you mentioned, I'm open to debate this issue and/or reading other people's advice for the OP.

Edit: I wanted to add this before other's posted that whether you posted this in Sprint or VZW forums your going to see favoritism. Just try and sift through it I guess to see what's credible. While I do lean towards VZW, I tried to be neutral, as I even noted that I have read horror stories people experience with VZW. At the end of the day though, I think its safe to say that for "quality" you will get no better than VZW.
    Last edited by revolutionary_3; 06-19-08 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added disclaimer ;)
    06-19-08 09:39 AM
    I have been with Verizon for a few years now. I really enjoy the reliability, call quality, and coverage area that Verizon provides. I recently upgraded to a Curve and my girlfriend want a blackberry, too. I saw that Sprint has the "All Everything" family plan for $129.99. It is very tempting to return the Curve within the 30 days and sign up with Sprint, but I am skeptical about Sprint's service. It also bothers me that some functions are locked out by Verizon, but from what I understand the Verizon data network is better than the Sprint network. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
    It's up to you really. Sprint is no doubt cheaper than Verizon, and that probably won't change any time soon. On the flip side, Sprint isn't even close to Verizon with regards to coverage or customer service. It's no coincidence that they lost over a million customers in Q1 of 2008--the only major carrier to LOSE customers.

Your post about functions being "locked out" isn't quite true, though. I'm assuming you're referring to GPS, which is one function? Not to criticize, but everyone always talks about the functions Verizon "cripples" and then gives an example like "GPS, etc." There is no "etc." though, GPS is the only one. You can pay $10 a month for VZNavigator or buy a bluetooth puck and use iet for free. Sprint locks MMS messaging down though, so if you go with Sprint and like sending picture or video messages, you can kiss that habit goodbye.

If the price is all that is important, you should probably switch. But if coverage and customer service are more important than the price, it's a no-brainer.
    06-19-08 12:40 PM
    It all comes down to coverage in your area. The provider with the best coverage wins, if they have equal coverage then the one with the lowest cost wins.

I've been with Spring for 8+ years, with great service. Sure I've had a few rude and unhelpful CS reps but that's with any company. Plan pricing wise no one beats Sprint. I'd suggest taking Sprint on a test drive to see how they perform in areas you frequently use your phone.

The data packages are included in the new Sprint plans so, what the poster above stated in irrelevant. Some where out there on the net is a comparison between the Sprint and Verizon Curve with Sprint coming out on top when it comes to data speeds and signal strength. I believe this took place in NYC. If I can find the link I'll post it here.

My only experience with Verizon is a buddy who has them as a provider, I tend to get better coverage with less dropped calls. Also e-mail push is quicker on Sprint.

Give'em a test drive is the best advice anyone can give.
    06-19-08 12:46 PM
    I agree with Mr. ER... It does definitely all come down to coverage in your particular area. However, I have heard much more good stuff about Verizon than Sprint. I have had both and I hands down prefer Verizon. They are a bit more spendy, yes, but you get what you pay for.

Keep in mind also that Sprint disables the MMS feature on its Blackberry devices. On the other hand, Verizon disables the GPS feature. It's all a matter of opinion.....
    06-19-08 12:48 PM
    Try out Sprint and see how you like it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-08 12:48 PM
    Everyone mentions the customers that Sprint has lost as if that makes them a bad company. If you know anything about the people who have "left" Sprint you would know they were frequent callers to CS to complain about anything and everything. Sprint decided they couldn't do anything to make these customers happy so they cut them loose. Smart move on Sprints part if you ask me, every call to CS becomes a cost to the company.

Personally I think if you're calling CS more than a couple times a year you're the problem not the company. In 8 years I can count on one hand how many time I've had to call Sprint.

Again take a test drive and see how they work for you in the areas you frequently use your phone.
    06-19-08 12:51 PM
    heres my 2 cents... I would rather deal with the lockout of gps/which you can pay for if you do want it! then dealing with the bullsh*t that sprint cant send mms... and their is no fix for that!!! Its not like verizon where you can just pay to fix the problem :-)
    06-19-08 01:12 PM
    Like others have said try it out. I've had vzw for 6 years and had no probs could care less abt gps. I agree w the coverage get who you hv bttr coverage w in your area. I don't know if you're going to get a curve on sprint but I heard the mms doesn't work if that's a big deal to you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-08 01:13 PM
    Grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. I am always looking for a good deal, but some how I always find out that mt SP is giving me a great deal.
    06-19-08 01:16 PM
    Everyone mentions the customers that Sprint has lost as if that makes them a bad company. If you know anything about the people who have "left" Sprint you would know they were frequent callers to CS to complain about anything and everything. Sprint decided they couldn't do anything to make these customers happy so they cut them loose. Smart move on Sprints part if you ask me, every call to CS becomes a cost to the company

LOL! Smart move? Good to know that Sprint's modus operandi for fixing problems is to just get rid of the customers with the problem instead of working towards the solution. I think that statement right there should pretty much answer the author's questions about service. And you wonder why they get such horrible customer service reviews.
    06-19-08 01:26 PM
    Everyone mentions the customers that Sprint has lost as if that makes them a bad company. If you know anything about the people who have "left" Sprint you would know they were frequent callers to CS to complain about anything and everything. Sprint decided they couldn't do anything to make these customers happy so they cut them loose. Smart move on Sprints part if you ask me, every call to CS becomes a cost to the company.

Personally I think if you're calling CS more than a couple times a year you're the problem not the company. In 8 years I can count on one hand how many time I've had to call Sprint.

Again take a test drive and see how they work for you in the areas you frequently use your phone.

I'm sorry I completely disagree with all that was said......

Sprint CS phone calls cost the company????? come on man every company has CS and they factor in the cost... they make it available to you to call and help......

Also if your calling more than a couple times a year????? Your the problem not the company ?????? what does that mean....

Doesn't make sense at all...... If your calling more then a couple times... maybe the device is bad..... maybe the service sucks........ account problems.... how can this be the user problems....... where did those idea's come from.....

For the amount of money we all pay for service and for devices now days I just shake my head to people that state things like you just did... It's a Cell phone company no matter who it is, they provide service.. If that service is not par, then by all means you deserve what you pay for.......

I would suggest you re evaluated your provider and current status... if your dealing with problems just because you don't want to cost them money.... guess what no matter what they are still getting your's remember that!
    06-19-08 02:38 PM
    Sprint has the lowest credit requirements to obtain service of any carrier. (which is changing) If you've dealt with the less than credit worthy you know how they try to get everything and anything for free. **** the less than desirable come into the ER looking for their free handout of anything from food to drugs.

Sprint is simply eliminating the less credit worthy people from their service. Read through the Sprint threads and you'll see people telling folks how to work the system to get free this or reduced that from Sprint.

Yester18 I never said I was dealing with problems to reduce the cost to Sprint. Seriously unless you're having an equipment problem on a new phone or a billing issue what reason is there to call CS? Have insurance, you call the insurance provider.

I've read it here several times if you don't get what you want on the 1st call, hang-up and call back until you get a rep that will give you what you want, if that doesn't work call retentions and tell them you're going to cancel service because they'll give you the world. Can you see the increased cost to do business here with multiple phone calls to have it your way?
    06-19-08 07:48 PM
    I must admit that the simply everything plan is attractive on the surface however the coverage and customer service is certainly lacking. Over 1 million customers left sprint in the first quarter, guys thats only three months!! To also clarify one thing, sprint year to date has only terminated an estimate of 7,000 customers for the reason posted above so that is not a true factor. Customers have the oppurtunity to have everything for one low price and still are leaving...over a million of them!!...nuff said
    06-19-08 08:05 PM
    Why anyone would go to Sprint at this point is a mystery. They are the closest thing to Dead Man Walking in the wireless industry that there is.

They are losing the battle on practically every front. Teaming with Nextel has been a disaster. Their CS stinks on ice. Their phone offerings are midrange at best. Their network is abysmal if you live anywhere remotely rural.

There's a reason they are the only major US carrier that is losing customers, while the rest are gaining customers. People are talking with their feet in droves, and nothing is being done to halt the flow.

I expect within the next 5 years Sprint will be bought out by another carrier.
    06-20-08 09:02 AM
    might as well stay with verizon if the coverage is better. thats why you have a particular wireless provider?
    06-20-08 09:34 AM
    I have just been dropped by my carrier of 8 years T-Mobile due to excessive roaming. Although no fault of mine, where I live, the ATT tower would pick up our service constantly. They found it was costing them money keep me. I understood the business decision yet I had just purchased phones in February (I have a family plan with 5) and I was not happy. T-Mobile was kind enough to reimburse me 50% of what I paid and let me keep the phones so after selling them I actually came out ahead. My lesson to share is always ask for the compensation or you will leave money on the table.

I chose Verizon because of their customer service and rating in consumer reports, after all, I kept the same carrier for 8 years, I don't like to change. I was disheartened in the beginning because of the lock outs but soon realized the coverage and clarity of the service was excellent. As it turned out, I am paying the same I did with T-mobile, and Verizon gave me 100 extra minutes. Also, I am able to tether my 8330 for internet at home. This is not the fastest internet but it keeps my kids from streaming and downloading viruses unless I am there to immediately catch them. My son was mad because he can't bluetooth rings to his buddies who have AT&T and had to spend time creating new ones and learning "how to" the Verizon way. Their guarantee was honored, 4 out of 5 of us switched phones, accessories were not received (mail order) and Verizon was exceptional at compensation. After a few calls getting things set up, I agree with the person who said, Who wants to call customer service all the time? The calls take an hour if there is a true issue. I have better things to do with my time than to talk on the phone with a phone rep. I work with some Sprint Reps and they are anything but focused on customer service. They are required to keep their sales at a certain level just to keep their Jobs! So if it is service you want, they will try anything to trick you off the phone because quality only has to be 85%. Even the people who work for Sprint don't like Sprint. They are obviously hurtin for certain. I turned all my friends and family to T-mobile and now they will all have to turn to Verizon. They are #1 for a reason.
    06-22-08 09:29 AM
    sprint is cheaper when compairing unlimited plans. 99.99 for sprint vs vzw's 149.99 unlimited everything plan. but the covg sucks for sprint. they need to master the cdma like vzw. and they are hurting for money right now i just red an article. stick with vzw
    06-22-08 03:12 PM
    Who care's if Sprint is cheaper.They are hurting for customer's so therefore they will bend over backward's to make their plans cheaper.The main purpose here to have a cell phone is to be able to make and receive a call when you are out and about and if you need to get your email's then you will go with either a blackberry
    or a PDA. As far as the carrier goes,it is a no brainer to go with a highly ranked carrier that provides 95/% of excellent coverage like verizon than sprint who can't even get out of their own way and
    provides coverage at 50/50. If you want great coverage,then you will pay just a little more money. If you want to pay less
    then you will get what you pay for with sprint. I know first hand because i worked for them in uppermanagement and i am glad that i had quit before the bottom had dropped out like it did. Bottom line: Which ever carrier works better in the area that you use the phone the most,then that is the carrier to choose. If all carriers work the same way in your area then go with verizon. You will have no regret's and before anyone should ask! No,i don't work for verizon. I am just a very happy customer.
    06-24-08 06:00 PM
    First hand...I was a Sprint customer for 2.5 yrs.

Within the last year we had an employee access some of our other personal utility accounts and personal info, had money stolen out of our bank account that they still havent found, and their phones always quit working, their service sucks and when you call customer service plan on at least an hr or so to get your problem fixed...you will be transferred at least 10 times and then prob hung up on too.

We ported to verizon a month ago after sprint couldnt satisfy us to keep us from suing them over the privacy violation and stolen money..We attempted to give them a chance and they didnt obviously care.

We have had nothing but good luck with Verizon I havent gotten a rude rep yet they always work to make you happy, they ship promptly, theirs no dumb spending limits, and I dont believe we have been anywhere where we couldnt get service and we live in a mostly rural area. We got 2 curves and our plan isnt that much more expensive than the 129..Granted we only have 700 min we have net, navigator, untld txt with verizon for 145. We never needed the untld minutes just because we usually only use 300 min anyway.

TRUST ME..Its cheaper for a reason...You get what you pay for!! Cheap svc means bad customer svc and bad svc overall.
    07-21-08 10:42 PM
    First hand...I was a Sprint customer for 2.5 yrs.

Within the last year we had an employee access some of our other personal utility accounts and personal info, had money stolen out of our bank account that they still havent found, and their phones always quit working, their service sucks and when you call customer service plan on at least an hr or so to get your problem fixed...you will be transferred at least 10 times and then prob hung up on too.

We ported to verizon a month ago after sprint couldnt satisfy us to keep us from suing them over the privacy violation and stolen money..We attempted to give them a chance and they didnt obviously care.

We have had nothing but good luck with Verizon I havent gotten a rude rep yet they always work to make you happy, they ship your items promptly, theres no dumb spending limits, and I dont believe we have been anywhere where we couldnt get service and we live in a mostly rural area. We got 2 curves and our plan isnt that much more expensive than the 129..Granted we only have 700 min we have net, navigator, untld txt with verizon for 145. We never needed the untld minutes just because we usually only use 300 min anyway.

TRUST ME..Its cheaper for a reason...You get what you pay for!! Cheap svc means bad customer svc and bad svc overall.
    07-21-08 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD