1. berrykrazy82's Avatar
    Ok here is the deal, I am the main line on a family plan and am eligible for the 1 year upgrade since October. I recently dropped my blackberry tour and cracked the screen (it still functions,its just annoying). People have also said that when I talk it sound like I have them on speaker phone and am across the room. Now on to the actual question- If I upgrade now does it move my two year upgrade date? I am just scared if I upgrade now, the first of the year Verizon will surprise us with a new phone in like January. I know its my choice but would love others opinions.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-10 08:36 PM
  2. e_lochry's Avatar
    I think you should go ahead and pick up the newest bold.NOW

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-10 09:08 PM
  3. the_sandman_454's Avatar
    If you spend enough with them, I believe you are eligible for a 1 year primary line upgrade from VZW. I have only one device on my plan and I get to do one year upgrades on a 2 year contract. I've been a customer for a long time though.

    You might call customer service and ask about your eligibility for that.
    12-25-10 09:35 PM
  4. Super_Mario's Avatar
    Now on to the actual question- If I upgrade now does it move my two year upgrade date?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes. Anytime you upgrade it changes your eligibility to upgrade for another 10 months (1-year) or 20 months (2-year) or every 12 months (annual upgrade). I am not sure why you would be confused about this. Were you wanting to upgrade without having to accept a new contact? That's called full retail purchase.
    Last edited by supermario28; 01-01-11 at 09:36 PM.
    12-25-10 11:16 PM
  5. Fret Madden's Avatar
    If you want to stave off using your upgrade, try picking up another device through someone willing to sell or similar. A few months ago I bought my wife a LG EnV Touch because someone swiped the one I'd originally got her with her upgrade - paid $65 for it, PLUS he had a new Curve to sell for $85. I didn't pick it up, but the point is that you can find something inexpensive to use until something you really want drops.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-10 12:04 AM
  6. berrykrazy82's Avatar
    Supermario I don't mind signing a contract. I believe I am being misunderstood. I am not as concerned with the upgrade itself. I am more concerned with the rumors of new phones coming the first of the year. I would pay full price now for a basic smartphone ( like the Motorola citrus or bb curve) and save my upgrade till the beginning of the year. My question about upgrade status may could have been worded different, like saying would it be worth upgrading now, and not being able to upgrade for another year.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-10 07:00 PM
  7. Super_Mario's Avatar
    Well in that case if you can wait, I would. They will be announcing new devices really soon. Might as well save for something fancy and get a used phone for now.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-10 07:09 PM
  8. Fret Madden's Avatar
    Supermario I don't mind signing a contract. I believe I am being misunderstood. I am not as concerned with the upgrade itself. I am more concerned with the rumors of new phones coming the first of the year. I would pay full price now for a basic smartphone ( like the Motorola citrus or bb curve) and save my upgrade till the beginning of the year. My question about upgrade status may could have been worded different, like saying would it be worth upgrading now, and not being able to upgrade for another year.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    But he makes the point that if you use your upgrade now then you'd have pay full retail later. If you get a low-cost device now and hold off upgrading then you can use the new contract price to reduce that expense.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-10 07:11 PM
  9. Fret Madden's Avatar
    Well in that case if you can wait, I would. They will be announcing new devices really soon. Might as well save for something fancy and get a used phone for now.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And of course you post right as I do.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-10 07:12 PM
  10. aab81901's Avatar
    If she claims insurance on it and gets a replacement through Assurion, will that extend her contract as well? I've always been unclear on this...
    12-27-10 06:59 AM
  11. berrykrazy82's Avatar
    No aab81901. My other line did that earlier this year when my husband's cell got stolen. I do have insurance on my tour. That is a option.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 08:12 AM
  12. aab81901's Avatar
    No aab81901. My other line did that earlier this year when my husband's cell got stolen. I do have insurance on my tour. That is a option.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    In that case, I don't see how any other option makes sense. Claim the phone, pay the deductible, and wait for the new phone to come out.
    12-31-10 02:00 PM
  13. ThePinkChameleon's Avatar
    Now on to the actual question- If I upgrade now does it move my two year upgrade date? I am just scared if I upgrade now, the first of the year Verizon will surprise us with a new phone in like January. I know its my choice but would love others opinions.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes, if you upgrade it will change your upgrade elgibility date. As someone already posted, for a 1yr you can upgrade after 10mths and for a 2yr you can upgrade after 22mths.
    .
    I had a Curve 8330 and my upgrade was avail in Sept.2010, and I waited. I was in the same boat as you, do I wait to see what Vzw will have to offer in the new year, or do I upgrade now. Well in Dec, the Bold 9650 was avail for a 2yr@$29.99 & I got a BOGO for my son as well. So I decided not to wait anymore & if something new comes out in 2011, I'll eventually have an upgrade avail to use in the future if I really want to. But for me I'm glad I didn't wait-i really love the Bold. So its really up to you if you want to wait or just upgrade now. There will always be something better coming out, its hard to keep on top of the newest. you'd be chasing your tail trying to lol.


    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-11 09:07 PM
  14. 7scarabs's Avatar
    In that case, I don't see how any other option makes sense. Claim the phone, pay the deductible, and wait for the new phone to come out.
    +1 to that choice. Since we're not really sure when the new phones will be released, and what they will be, you might as well resolve the problem with the cracked screen and poor call quality while you wait to see what will be offered.
    01-03-11 12:18 AM
  15. Stides's Avatar
    +1 to that choice. Since we're not really sure when the new phones will be released, and what they will be, you might as well resolve the problem with the cracked screen and poor call quality while you wait to see what will be offered.
    +2 on this. That is why you have insurance. Even a used tour in decent shape cannot be had on ebay for $50 (the cost of the deductible). I fear we will not be seeing any new BlackBerries on VZW until spring or even summer of 2011 so if you want to stay with RIM I would get the refurb. tour from Asurion and hold off until the Storm 3, Bold w/touch screen or some CDMA Torch launches on VZW.

    At the very least, get the phone from insurance and then sell it on ebay for over $100 (maybe $150) and use the profit to put towards a different blackberry or android phone that you want and would be paying full price for. I certainly don't want to encourage you to commit insurance fraud, but I don't think it would be. You are entitled to get the refurb. phone through your insurance and once you obtain it you can do whatever you want with it. Maybe other forum members would disagree?
    01-03-11 01:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD