Hi all... I am a long time verizon user that decided to take the leap to blackberry, bought a curve online and it's on its way to me. I have some questions, if someone can help out

1) If i activate online there is no fee for switching, correct?

2) I currently use backup assistant on my dare, how do I switch my contacts over to the blackberry? I am assuming the easiest way is to walk into a verizon store, but will they do this if I didnt buy the phone in store? FWIW, I have a macbook.

3) Anything I should know about the curve itself (good, bad, otherwise)?

Thanks for the help.
    03-24-09 05:29 PM
    Hi all... I am a long time verizon user that decided to take the leap to blackberry, bought a curve online and it's on its way to me. I have some questions, if someone can help out.
    Welcome to CB - some good people, some bad. You'll learn which soon enough.

For the record, I am one of the latter.

If i activate online there is no fee for switching, correct?.
    There is no activation fee for it as long as you're upgrading a VZW line to a BlackBerry purchased through VZW, no matter how you activate it.

I currently use backup assistant on my dare, how do I switch my contacts over to the blackberry? I am assuming the easiest way is to walk into a verizon store, but will they do this if I didnt buy the phone in store? FWIW, I have a macbook..
    Take it to the store or download your contacts for import into your BlackBerry. Backup Assistant does not work for BlackBerry.

Anything I should know about the curve itself (good, bad, otherwise)?.
    Great phone - more than probably 70% of BlackBerry owners need. Bad thing is you'll be spending a lot of time here reading me causing trouble.

Thanks for the help.
    Again, thanks for joining us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 05:50 PM
    Icant tell you anything about verizon, but the curve is a great phone. One thing I don't like is the ring and vib option. It won't ring and vibrate at the same time unless you get a third party app. Make sure you read the manual. A lot of questions can be avoided if you take your time when you get it, and read the manual. Also if your ever stumped check this site. There is a wealth of knowledge. Good luck, and prepare to be addicted.

03-24-09 05:52 PM
    I've been a VZW customer for almost 10 years now. Just recently upgraded my BB Pearl to a BB Curve (didn't care for the functionality of the Storm, IMO).

To answer some of your Q's....

1) there should not be a fee for switching phones, especially since you bought it through VZW. It might be easier for you (again, IMO) to activate your new BB over the phone with tech support (800.922.0204) - if you do this, you need to do it from a landline phone, since they will be walking you through steps needed.

2) I'm not sure about Backup Assistant, as I do not use it, but I did on old pre-BB phones. I haven't heard of using Backup Assistant on BBs, (Perhaps someone else can assist in this?). I will tell you that BB's only really sync with either Outlook or Google sync (I use Outlook for everything) - there is a version of Desktop manager available for Mac's (I believe), but again, I'm not sure about the specs on it. You may be able to dload your contacts into a csv file, and import them into either DM, or your outlook and transfer them (or into gmail, google, etc.)

3) I've had my curve for about a week or so now, and it's honestly one of the best phones I have had.. Probably your biggest thing to get used to is that there is no touchscreen capability on the Curve, you will have to use keys and the trackball for everything. Having owned the Pearl (which is notorious for memory leak issues), the Curve is hands down definitely a better phone. My own advice to you would be to give it some time - at least a week or so to get used to a new system, but I think once you get the hang of it, you will definitely not look back!!!

Welcome to the crackberry addiction!!!!!
    03-24-09 05:54 PM
    Thanks so much for all of your answers!!
    03-24-09 06:44 PM
    That's what we're here for.

Now if I can only get out of the car, I can clean up my dupes...

[EDIT]Dupes cleaned, as promised. [/EDIT]
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 03-24-09 at 10:39 PM.
    03-24-09 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD