I know no one prob knows this yet, but i understand that rim has an agreement with Verizon, probably all phone carries, but in my case i have verizon. anyways, with this new BESX it's going to be a free service. i know with verizon you have to pay the 29.99 a month to keep the bis plan and the phone all together, but if someone were to use the BESX later on on their service what will charges be? will it be standard data prices or what?
    02-16-10 01:47 PM
    It technically isn't free based on BGR's article.
    Deployment of BESX shouldn’t be much of an issue for most SMBs as the software is compatible with Microsoft Exchange 2003, 2007 and 2010 as well as Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 and 2008. In terms of security, RIM says BESX has “the same robust security architecture found in BlackBerry Enterprise Server” whilst allowing IT admins to oversee over 35 IT policies and controls, including password controls and remote wiping. The BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express software itself will be free, but we’ve been told RIM will charge $5 per user per month. Furthermore, BESX does not need users to be on a BES data plan which translates to even more savings. Pretty damn awesome if you ask us. One huge downside we’ve heard? BESX will not support enterprise activations (OTA deployment).Look for the software to drop next month if all goes well.
    You'd probably end up paying the regular 29.99 + $5/month for the BESX.
    02-16-10 02:12 PM
    i wish data plans weren't so expensive..
    02-16-10 02:23 PM
    DON'T we all? I wish they had announced something to allow calendar syncing to BIS services.
    02-17-10 10:49 AM
    Just to clarify for those who don't get it...ive had a few people say Hey, we'll get our emails right away now instead of waiting like on BIS. But what they don't get is this isn't a replacement of BIS. If you're a small business that already has Microsoft Exchange 2003, 2007 and 2010 as well as Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 and 2008, and you're collecting your own email for your own domain, it's all good. If not, then you'll have to buy a server, and exchange or wsmbs 2003 or 2008 to use it. If you have a POP or IMAP account with a provider under your own domain, you'll also have to have that transfered to your server, rather than having them deliver.

So anyone that thinks this is a replacement for BIS, it's not. It's an added service. Just clarifying because a few people are thinking this is going to clear up BIS 20 minute wait times.
    02-17-10 10:56 AM
    It technically isn't free based on BGR's article.

You'd probably end up paying the regular 29.99 + $5/month for the BESX.
    The BGR report is the only place that I have seen that mentions the $5/month fee. The page on the Blackberry site specifically mentions no license fees for users, so I'm assuming it will be completely free.
    02-18-10 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD