I don't have a blackberry yet, but I'm due for an upgrade in June from my old Cherry Chocolate, and I'd love to get the Curve 8330.

I have a couple of questions about the switch. I understand when you get a Blackberry on Verizon, you have to get a Blackberry data plan. Okay, well my dad and I are secondary lines - so we're $9.99 - and my mom has the primary line. We're on the America's Choice II Familyshare plan. I also have unlimited M2M MSG (txting) w/ 500 msg for an extra $10 per month.

So here's my question... what exactly will be the changes we make? I heard Verizon has the $29.99 per month Blackberry Data Plan that's unlimited. Does that cover texting/voice mins? Or is that ONLY email/web? How am I going to use this plan when I'm a secondary line?

Also if I'm using the Blackberry Data Plan, does the corporate discount we get for my dad working at Mead apply to this plan so I'd get a discount with this plan every month, or does the discount only apply to the primary line?

I'm basically clueless since my parents take care of the bill, but I'm going to the Verizon store soon to take a look and ask questions, so I'd like to know what's going on and what I should ask, etc...

Thanks for any help!
    04-06-09 01:25 PM
    Hi,

The big difference would be the $29.99 data plan. You'll still need a texting plan, but you might find yourself using it less if you I'm, too.
    Pretty much, add the data plan & run - often, you may qualify for up to $100 of advanced device credits.

Corporate discounts apply to the data plan, as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 01:28 PM
    Would the $29.99 BB data plan replace the $9.99 secondary line payment or would it be in addition to?
    04-06-09 01:42 PM
    No it would add to it. The data plan is just data no minutes no txt. And I'm assuming the discount would apply to the account as a whole not just one line.

04-06-09 02:05 PM
    No it would add to it. The data plan is just data no minutes no txt. And I'm assuming the discount would apply to the account as a whole not just one line.
    Exactly.
    Line: $9.99
    Data: $29.99
    Text:: $10.00
    Total: $48.98, less any discounts.

04-06-09 02:10 PM
    Thanks a lot guys!!

Just to make sure I have my figures right... (not including tax)

My account now is 9.99 + 10 w/ .17 discount = 16.59
    The BB would be 9.99 + 10 + 29.99 w/ .17 discount = 40.66

24.07 difference... if I'm right about the figures, I could just make some sacrifices elsewhere to make up for the difference.

Or does the .17 discount only affect the entire bill of our 3 lines together? I thought it was .17 discount on my plan, .17 discount on my dad's plan, .17 discount on my mom's plan... I didn't realize it just grouped together all our regular prices and then did an overall .17 discount. Just making sure I'm in complete understanding.
    04-06-09 06:11 PM
    The percentage discount would aply to the entire billing, minus some of the taxes.

If a tax is a percentage of a charge after discount, then those taxes would be affected. If the tax is a set amount or before taxes, then they won't be affected.

04-06-09 06:23 PM
    Thanks! so then the difference would actually be 29, not 24.07... and the price would jump to 48.99 per month with the BB data plan... gotcha!
    04-06-09 06:29 PM
    Depends on how the discount is set up per the agreement- some discounts only apply to access fees, if this is case then no discount for the data. Other apply to features, and last but not least both access and features. The 29.99 plan is an add on feature to the BB. So without seeing the account we cannot assume it is an across the board discount.
    04-06-09 07:48 PM
    Depends on how the discount is set up per the agreement- some discounts only apply to access fees, if this is case then no discount for the data. Other apply to features, and last but not least both access and features. The 29.99 plan is an add on feature to the BB. So without seeing the account we cannot assume it is an across the board discount.
    But aren't corporate discounts (I work for a company that has 223 lines of VZW service types) on all non-tax charges?
    04-06-09 08:01 PM
    Not really. Depends on the agreements made. I see corp accounts all the with access only discounts. If a company has 223 lines, I am sure they get a better deal than a 20 line company

04-06-09 08:24 PM
    i'm not sure what carrier you're on (sorry if i missed it), but i'm on verizon and my corporate discount doesn't apply to texts, but it does to minutes and data. of course, corporate discounts vary from company to company, but just a heads up
    04-06-09 08:26 PM
    i'm not sure what carrier you're on (sorry if i missed it), but i'm on verizon and my corporate discount doesn't apply to texts, but it does to minutes and data. of course, corporate discounts vary from company to company, but just a heads up
    And mine covers everything except international tolls and possibly text overages.

Can't tell you about the text overages, as I never have any.

Dont have VZNav either, so I don't know that one.

But voice minutes, data, text plan - all covered & discounted.

The OP is on VZW.

04-06-09 08:37 PM
    I'm on Verizon :-)

I talked to my dad about it and he said our discount is only applied to the primary phone's plan, so no other additional lines get any discount whatsoever, nor does the overall bill. That seems to contradict other things I've read online so I'll definitely be sure to ask about this when I visit the Verizon store on Wednesday. Thanks again!
    04-06-09 08:49 PM
    This is true. If your dad is the primary on the account and works for company that gives him a discount, then his is only line it applies to. None of the secondary lise will get the discount
    04-06-09 09:07 PM
    Since my mom's phone is the primary line, I registered her on VZW's website and on our plan, it lists the 17% discount as "access discount." So no discount I guess..

About upgrading - we've been with Verizon for years and years, never been late on payments, no outstanding fees... is it possible for me to get the $50 upgrade credit for a new phone early? So instead of being $99.99, the Curve 8330 would be $49.99? Do they do that for reliable customers, or do I have to wait another 2 months with no exceptions? I mean I've heard a little about early upgrades, but I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.
    04-06-09 09:15 PM
    Since my mom's phone is the primary line, I registered her on VZW's website and on our plan, it lists the 17% discount as "access discount." So no discount I guess..

About upgrading - we've been with Verizon for years and years, never been late on payments, no outstanding fees... is it possible for me to get the $50 upgrade credit for a new phone early? So instead of being $99.99, the Curve 8330 would be $49.99? Do they do that for reliable customers, or do I have to wait another 2 months with no exceptions? I mean I've heard a little about early upgrades, but I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.
    your NE2 upgrade can come after 20 months of the plan, or 4 months before the current contract ends. You may get $50 credit, but it may only apply to the primary number and can be transferred to your line. (For example, my phone is the primary on my contract and I got the credit for my storm, my father is the $9.99 line like you, and he got the free one in the BOGO).
    04-09-09 12:52 PM
    ^ Oh that is great news!! I'll be sure to ask about that next time I go to Verizon, thanks!!
    04-09-09 06:02 PM
    my father is the $9.99 line like you, and he got the free one in the BOGO).
    This is your dad we're talking about here. He gets stuck with the free one while you get the expensive one? Why you ungrateful little...

04-09-09 06:06 PM
    This is your dad we're talking about here. He gets stuck with the free one while you get the expensive one? Why you ungrateful little...

We paid $150 for the two phones, not too bad I think
    He had a LG chocolate and figured him and my mom would get whatever free dumbphone came with the one I got, but he got lucky
    04-09-09 06:29 PM
    usually the discount applies to the calling plan, since the txt usage is included, that is applied also...if your company's contract with VZW outlines that it will cover the whole bill, then that's what you get. the C/S rep for vzw will be able to elaborate if needed
    04-09-09 07:35 PM
    One more question... the account is in my dad's name (hence the discount) but my mom's number is the primary line. So in order to transfer the $50 credit from her primary line to my secondary line, do both of my parents have to come with me, or can my dad do that? Since it's my mom's line that would have the $50 credit transferred from?
    04-09-09 10:31 PM
    As long as your dad is an account manager onthe account, he can go with you
    04-09-09 10:41 PM
    Just thought I'd say I got my new BB Curve 8330 yesterday and LOVE it!! So happy and well worth the money!
    04-12-09 03:10 PM
    Congrats. You are going to LOVE it and quickly become addicted. Be sure to check out all the Blackberry tips and how tos. And most of all, play around with your new curve to discover all it can do.
    04-12-09 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD