Hi all, great site!

I just bought a BB from eBay - I don't even know what model it is, but it was so cheap I couldn't resist.

Questions:

When it arrives, do I need to take it in to a Verizon store to switch over from my old phone (Motorola W385) to the Blackberry? Or can I just call them to transfer service?

I don't need to access the internet/browse at all on-the-go, but I do send text messages (I have unlimited texting on my Family Plan). Do I still need to pay extra to use just the phone, texting, calendar, photos, games, etc. on the BB?

Sorry if these are silly questions, just so excited to be finally getting a Blackberry!
    06-07-08 04:44 PM
    BTW, here's a pic - if anyone can tell what the model is:

06-07-08 04:47 PM
    Ok first off... in order to have a BB with verizon it is REQUIRED to have a data plan... if you are a BIS user (which from what youve mentioned i beleive you are) then you can get unlimited data for 29.99 however without this dataplan the blackberry will not operate... Also as long as the phone is has a clean ESN meaning it wasnt reported lost or stolen then you should be able to activate it over the phone no problem by providing the CSR with the ESN and a few other digits they will ask you for
    06-07-08 04:50 PM
    Oh and by the way if my memory serves me right that looks like a 7200 series to me you can find out more about it on the blackberry site
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry 7200 Series Wireless Handheld Devices | 7250, 7270 & 7290
    06-07-08 04:54 PM
    Hi all, great site!

I just bought a BB from eBay - I don't even know what model it is, but it was so cheap I couldn't resist.

Questions:

When it arrives, do I need to take it in to a Verizon store to switch over from my old phone (Motorola W385) to the Blackberry? Or can I just call them to transfer service?

I don't need to access the internet/browse at all on-the-go, but I do send text messages (I have unlimited texting on my Family Plan). Do I still need to pay extra to use just the phone, texting, calendar, photos, games, etc. on the BB?

Sorry if these are silly questions, just so excited to be finally getting a Blackberry!

If you have Motorola Phone Tools, it will sync to outlook, as does BB desktop manager..
    You have to have a BIS account with a berry, $29.99 per, for unlimited data.
    The texting and call minutes are seperate to the plan..
    Enjoy
    06-07-08 05:05 PM
    So I can't do *anything* with it without paying $29.99 more a month? Well, that blows.

BIS = ?? Sorry, I'm totally new here. What does BIS stand for - Blackberry Internet Service? I don't have anything now except Verizon wireless family share w/1400 mins and unlimited text/picture.
    Last edited by mp9205; 06-07-08 at 05:31 PM.
    06-07-08 05:25 PM
    [QUOTE=mp9205;373964]So I can't do *anything* with it without paying $29.99 more a month? Well, that blows.[/QU

Unfortunatly, ya... see blackberrys operate a lil differently then your average PDA or Smartphone because of this being the case VZW has blackberrys on there own 3g network... they dont share the same network as all the other PDA's and smart phones and since they need a Voice/data plan to operate blackberry and VZW makeS it mandatory to have it .... see if you had just a basic smart phone or pda then it would be and optional service because they just use the basic 44.99 data plan... and those phones are mostly all phones first / computer secondary...with blackberrys its 29.99 for unlimited because again this is needed for the phone to operate as blackberrys are computer 1st / phone 2nd.... ( PLEASE SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG IN ANY WAY AS I AM NEW TO THIS MYSELF)
    06-07-08 05:37 PM
    So I can't do *anything* with it without paying $29.99 more a month? Well, that blows.

BIS = ?? Sorry, I'm totally new here. What does BIS stand for - Blackberry Internet Service? I don't have anything now except Verizon wireless family share w/1400 mins and unlimited text/picture.
    no prob

BIS= Blackberry Internet Service (this is for people who use personal emails like yahoo,gmail,aol, etc)

BES= Blackberry Enterprise Service (this is for people that connect to there work or company email)

since you are a BIS user you would pay 29.99 for unlimited as it is for personal use and you are not using the Enterprise service
    (BES service is 44.99)

I also have a family share plan so that is not and issue however your text/pic messageing would become just Text as you do not have a camera so your phone will not send nor recieve pix... sounds to me like you would be alot happier with a Curve as it does have a camera..full qwerty kboard...and all the great features that come standard with the BB
    06-07-08 05:44 PM
    Thanks REPro. I might just resell the cheapo BB and get something different. I don't really want to add an additional $30/month to our already high bill (3 phones on it).

All I really need is a good PDA with calendar, lists, games, etc.. Any recommendations? (I know, this is a BB board, but a girl can ask!)
    06-07-08 05:47 PM
    Thanks REPro. I might just resell the cheapo BB and get something different. I don't really want to add an additional $30/month to our already high bill (3 phones on it).

All I really need is a good PDA with calendar, lists, games, etc.. Any recommendations? (I know, this is a BB board, but a girl can ask!)
    Umm theres alot of decent PDA's out there... (nothing like a BB IMO) but my experiences are with the Iphone, Windows Mobile, & blackberry and ever since i got the berry i havnt looked back.... the Iphone is only with ATT so that wont really help you ( and they also require a data plan) and personally i would stay away from a windows device as i found myself constantly doing battery pulls all day.... but i mean i would def post a thread asking this question... there are alot of nice experienced people on this forum that im sure would help give you an idea as to what they think the next best things is (that doesnt require a data plan) i just dont feel i have much experience with other Smart phones/ PDA's to point you in the right direction.
    06-07-08 06:02 PM

To be honest with you, run the other way with Verizon and their other PDA/smartphones. I may be biased as a BB user, but with all my experience with the other things offered, they suck big time. Windows mobile is atrocious and everyone I know with WM based devices have it crash multiple times daily. Through seeing and using the Palm series verizon offers, the Moto Q, and several other service provider's models, I'd honestly recommend paying the extra a month to be able to have something with a stable OS.
    06-07-08 06:11 PM
    Or get an iPhone. I normally hate Apple, but that is quite a piece of work they have out. Blackberry is still better, of course
    06-07-08 06:12 PM
    do what works best for you but the BB is def worth it

I have 1400 family share as well with 2 lines, unlimited messaging both lines, TEC asurion both lines, mobile web one line and Blackberry email and web other line & ringback tones both lines...My bill comes to about 170 a month after all my discounts (22% of plan each month - 20% off features each month)

IMO its def worth it
    06-07-08 06:39 PM
    Thanks all - great tips here.

As for ditching Verizon, I still have 1.5 years on a contract. I know, I know...

I will check out the BB when it comes, see if it's worth the expense, and go from there I guess.

So with the unlimited data, you can surf the Net on the BB, email, text, whatever you want as long as you want??
    06-07-08 08:49 PM
    Yes the unlimited data allows you to surf,email to your hearts content. I got mine and my wifes and she grumbles about the bill every once and awhile but its worth it. I love the BB messenger it uses email instead of SMS and your not limited on the number of characters. I still SMS like crazy though. I would ditch the old 7200 and get a curve or pearl style
    06-08-08 01:53 AM
    I think Im going to be selling my pearl for 200.00 in july... i bought it like 3 months ago so it still in very good condition... 200 isnt cheapy.. but its cheaper then full retail price and your contract date wouldnt change :-)
    you can pm me about it
    Last edited by Sensesfail99; 06-08-08 at 02:31 AM.
    06-08-08 02:26 AM
    I see that you enjoy your BB.
    06-08-08 07:28 AM
    welcome to the wide world of crackberry!
    06-08-08 07:39 AM
    Ok this may help and this is strictly my opinion. I got my first BB 7 months ago and I can tell you that there is nothing even remotely as stable, with the exception of an iphone. That being said, I am very, how should I say, cheap at heart... so I feel your pain about paying. I need a BB for my business so I just pay because it has alot of value to me. Now I have also had experiences with UT Starcom 6700 and HTC mogul 6800, and they are both windows based. They are good for average demand user like you have explained yourself to be, but they will require some patience where a BB can work well without flaw. The windows mobile 6 is decent (again not BB OS But...) it has a calender, on board memory for saving pics, mp3, etc and you can view your email/setup it up email very easily. I can not tell you how verizon works and if the data plan you have would include a windows mobile PDA, but I am willing to bet that it would. I hope some of that info helps, but as far as cell plans being cheap, I dont think that comes around too often.. I pay $85 for 3 lines, one is a BB, the rest are normal phones, but all have unlimited data/text. Hope you find a solution, sorry for the length...
    06-08-08 07:56 AM
    Ok, I did it! I *finally* got my BB (3 weeks thanks to slow ebay shipper, but for $10 who can complain??), and just switched my # over. Gotta drive up the road to program it, since I'm just outside the area... then should be good to go!
    06-22-08 03:14 PM
    i just sold a pearl on ebay . it had no scratches on it and was flawless. it had the clear protector full skin installed and an extra clear protector screen protector, 3 silicon skins, 3 batterys, a car chager(never used) and whatever came in the box. i got 210 for it total. unless your phones in perfect shape with a ton of accessories or its the pink pearl(which seem to sell for 250 on ebay even if they were run over by a truck lol) its very hard to get 200 out of a pearl. after the fees i think i got 192 total for mine. or something like that

and the thread , the 30 sucks a month . that phoen you have now just came out so ur gonna pay 2 year prices to upgrade.
    06-22-08 04:35 PM
    It is old, but it works like a charm for now. I'm sure I'll want a newer model sooner or later. But for now, it's new-to-me!
    06-22-08 04:57 PM
    awsomeness
    06-24-08 03:35 AM
    I originally had that 7200 from verizon and it seriously made me hate a BB. Now I have a Pearl and I love it. I have the family share with one other line and my bill is only around 130/month, that's with the unlimited data @ 29.99. If you get a BB you might as well get thre data plan to go with it!!!
    06-24-08 08:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD