07-22-09 02:57 PM
62 123
tools
    Notice of Administrative Charge Increase:
    Beginning July 1, 2009, the monthly Verizon Wireless Administrative
    Charge for voice and email plans will increase from $0.85 to $0.92 per
    line. For Mobile Broadband plans, the charge will remain at $.06.

I was just reading my "need to knows" on my statement and discovered a fee increase effective 10 days ago. I know it's not much on an individual level, but if you look at the big picture man wow. 80 million verizon customers all getting hit for an additional $.06 cents, thats almost a $5 million a month increase in revenue for big red. And it's without choice to the consumer.

For those looking to ditch a contract, try to locate your contract and find this statement

"UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WE CAN ALSO CHANGE PRICES AND ANY OTHER CONDITIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME BY SENDING YOU WRITTEN NOTICE PRIOR TO THE BILLING PERIOD IN WHICH THE CHANGES WOULD GO INTO EFFECT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR SERVICE AFTER THAT POINT, YOU'RE ACCEPTING THE CHANGES. IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, WITHOUT ANY EARLY TERMINATION FEE, JUST BY CALLING US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER WE SEND NOTICE OF THE CHANGE."

a material adverse effect is not defined and at this point in the economy and I'm not sure about ya'll, every additional penny I have to pay out is a material adverse effect on me. If something isn't done now to stop "admin" increases, that fee will again go up in the future resulting in additional charges. I would like to know what the administration charge amount was initially when it was first implemented.

All corporations are trying to put the burdon of increased daily expenses on the consumer, from gas to cell phones..lol.
    07-11-09 12:43 PM
    We've previously had a thread on this situation.

Its been discussed to death.
    Although sorry you feel the way you do. I know personally that every penny counts these days. I'm just not up for complaining about it.
    07-11-09 12:49 PM

Although sorry you feel the way you do. I know personally that every penny counts these days. I'm just not up for complaining about it.
    yeah, i just know every penny DOES count as well, and i guess i will have to just cut back somewhere else... i guess i will drop my ringback tone... no more Pink Floyd!

BTW... Love your sig!
    07-11-09 12:52 PM

gotcha, guess I've been missing out and apologize for reposting a topic that has previously been discussed. I'm not really up for complaining about it either, which is why I'm sure the increased charges are made. Now if only I could find a way to charge 80 million people 7 cents a month without contention.
    07-11-09 12:56 PM
    Doesn't work. We have policies regarding these changes. Verizon will not waive your ETF.
    07-11-09 01:02 PM
    Doesn't work. We have policies regarding these changes. Verizon will not waive your ETF.
    Of course they can. If you signed up before July 1st 2009 you signed a contract for an administrative charge that was lower. They send you written notice that they are breaching so you know about it. If you want to leave, you can and they have to let you out ETF free because they are breaching contract by increasing an administrative charge (notice, it's not a mandatory tax or charge from federal, state or local governments...this is a VZW charge). If you fail to take action during the alloted grace period you "accept" the new terms and remain under contract.

I got out of a verizon contract because of this and a sprint contract because of this in the past.
    Last edited by RushTheBus; 07-11-09 at 01:38 PM.
    07-11-09 01:35 PM
    Of course they can. If you signed up before July 1st 2009 you signed a contract for an administrative charge that was lower. They send you written notice that they are breaching so you know about it. If you want to leave, you can and they have to let you out ETF free because they are breaching contract by increasing an administrative charge (notice, it's not a mandatory tax or charge from federal, state or local governments...this is a VZW charge). If you fail to take action during the alloted grace period you "accept" the new terms and remain under contract.

I got out of a verizon contract because of this and a sprint contract because of this in the past.
    No you didnt.
    07-11-09 01:46 PM
    I'd rather not get into a debate on whether or not you can get an ETF waived BUT, you most certainly can if you know the proper steps to take. I'm not talking about calling CS every 10 minutes and going up the chain in supervision either. Calling and complaining to a customer service rep who needs upper management approval for just about anything related to account adjustments resulting in company loss isn't gong to get you far. No offense intended, but most simply don't know and the easiest solution is to say no.

"If" I were wanting to contest the increased charge I would first Research binding consumer contracts and the law a little. Jot the statutes down and draft a formal legal dispute. Disputes need to have paper trail proof to show responsible parties and individuals to hold liable for having knowledge of the dispute. Ie.. send certified letter's disputing the agreed upon contract. The dispute letter needs to be in a specific format and state exactly what is being disputed and the reason it's being disputed and what you are demanding as a solution. Include any documentation ( ie (copies)..contract with important area's in question highlighted, statements showing what is being disputed, heck a past due notice on any bill showing a current financial hardship). The absolute best information is, to get in contact(search the web, a quick google search resulted in many customers with waived etf for this July 1st, 2009 increase) with another customer that was given the resolution your seeking for the exact action in which your disputing. If they are willing to give you any information like their name, account #, phone # it's a lock. Site this persons account and the resolution that was awarded to them and demand unbiased equal treatment. Your contract or ETF or whatever your seeking will be void about an hour after someone signs the certified stub accepting your letter.

Business law is mostly pro consumer and contracts are approved by much higher authorities than simply a corp law dept. They are to protect both parties, expecially the consumer.
    Last edited by Mattsworld; 07-11-09 at 02:13 PM.
    07-11-09 02:08 PM
    So many internet lawyers these days....
    Why are they wasting time being the shift lead at McD's when they could be saving the world from "EVIL CORPORATIONS"? Probably because everything they know about the legal system is from watching Law and Order and reading forum posts from other Law and Order fans.
    07-11-09 02:28 PM

No, you didn't. It's in our policies regarding this (as this is some internet sensation that this will waive your ETF) that if you disconnect you will get an ETF. It's been cleared by Verizons legal department, so I guess sue us to find out.
    07-11-09 03:29 PM
    I'd rather not get into a debate on whether or not you can get an ETF waived BUT, you most certainly can if you know the proper steps to take. I'm not talking about calling CS every 10 minutes and going up the chain in supervision either. Calling and complaining to a customer service rep who needs upper management approval for just about anything related to account adjustments resulting in company loss isn't gong to get you far. No offense intended, but most simply don't know and the easiest solution is to say no.

"If" I were wanting to contest the increased charge I would first Research binding consumer contracts and the law a little. Jot the statutes down and draft a formal legal dispute. Disputes need to have paper trail proof to show responsible parties and individuals to hold liable for having knowledge of the dispute. Ie.. send certified letter's disputing the agreed upon contract. The dispute letter needs to be in a specific format and state exactly what is being disputed and the reason it's being disputed and what you are demanding as a solution. Include any documentation ( ie (copies)..contract with important area's in question highlighted, statements showing what is being disputed, heck a past due notice on any bill showing a current financial hardship). The absolute best information is, to get in contact(search the web, a quick google search resulted in many customers with waived etf for this July 1st, 2009 increase) with another customer that was given the resolution your seeking for the exact action in which your disputing. If they are willing to give you any information like their name, account #, phone # it's a lock. Site this persons account and the resolution that was awarded to them and demand unbiased equal treatment. Your contract or ETF or whatever your seeking will be void about an hour after someone signs the certified stub accepting your letter.

Business law is mostly pro consumer and contracts are approved by much higher authorities than simply a corp law dept. They are to protect both parties, expecially the consumer.
    I'm not going to argue either, I've check and even spoken with the legal department regarding this change and it's legal to hold you to your contract. If you feel this materially adverse we will credit the charge for the rest of your contract so if you had 20 months left and it's a six cents increase we will credit the $1.20 and that removes that "adverse" affect.
    07-11-09 03:31 PM
    I just did this with tmobile and I just called and annoyed customer service for about a total of 5 hours. I took noted on everyone I spoke to and everything they said. Eventually I broke through and got the ETF waived. I also filed a formal complaint with the BBB to back me up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-09 05:01 PM
    I just did this with tmobile and I just called and annoyed customer service for about a total of 5 hours. I took noted on everyone I spoke to and everything they said. Eventually I broke through and got the ETF waived. I also filed a formal complaint with the BBB to back me up.

TMobile has no problem letting people go who call in and complain enough. Verizon is not TMobile.
    07-11-09 05:07 PM
    I'm not going to argue either, I've check and even spoken with the legal department regarding this change and it's legal to hold you to your contract. If you feel this materially adverse we will credit the charge for the rest of your contract so if you had 20 months left and it's a six cents increase we will credit the $1.20 and that removes that "adverse" affect.
    Actually, according to a Contract lawyer locally in Worcester MA, and the FCC and BBB, your contract also states
    "About This Agreement

∞ A waiver of any part of this agreement in one instance isn't a waiver of any part or any other instance. You can't assign this agreement or any of your rights or duties under it. We may assign all or part of this agreement or your debts to us without notice, and you agree to make all subsequent payments as instructed. NOTICES ARE CONSIDERED DELIVERED WHEN WE SEND THEM BY EMAIL OR FAX TO ANY EMAIL OR FAX NUMBER YOU'VE PROVIDED TO US, OR 3 DAYS AFTER MAILING TO THE MOST CURRENT BILLING ADDRESS WE HAVE ON FILE FOR YOU, IF BY US, OR TO THE CUSTOMER SERVICE ADDRESS ON YOUR MOST RECENT BILL, IF BY YOU. If any part of this agreement, including any part of its arbitration provisions, is held invalid, that part may be severed from this agreement. This agreement and the documents to which it refers form the entire agreement between us on their subjects. You can't rely on any other documents or statements on those subjects by any sales or service representatives, and you have no other rights with respect to service or this agreement, except as specifically provided by law. This agreement isn't for the benefit of any third party except our parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, agents, and predecessors and successors in interest. Except to the extent we've agreed otherwise in the provisions on late fees, collection costs and arbitration, or as required by Federal law, this agreement and disputes covered by it are governed by the laws of the state encompassing the area code assigned to your wireless phone number when you accepted this agreement, without regard to the conflicts of laws rules of that state. "

I've bolded/underlighted the most important phrase in this paragraph, meaning your legal department wording/response is NULL and we cannot RELY on their words. unless they are CHANGING THE CONTRACT to what they are trying to SCREW customers over with
    PS: if they do deside to change the agreement to read what your sayin that would give every VZW customer the opertunity to back out. per our Origonal contract as it states. Verizon has no leg to stand on, i've already filed with the FCC/BBB and have vzw Corporate suposed to call me today. i doubt they will, i will drag this to arbitration (as per the contract) then to a class action lawsuit if need be. read the contract carefuly if you guys left no way when you change anything for people to back out it would be COMPLETELY against FCC . what you guys are doing is FORCING consumers into a contract they dont want. that is also illegal, also while we are on this step check your website make sure the BBB section is correct your Rating is a B- not an A++. that is fraud. just for reference. i did however notice that it changed today nifty that the supervisor listened to me on that. i've got print outs already of the fraud and will be mailing them to BBB for reference on VZW .

i've not had a bad problem with VZW in the past until i've recently noticed charges skyrocketing. in 2008 the admin charge went from .40 to 70ish cents, then went to 80 then 85..now 92 when will it stop? according to the supervisors they try and claim this isnt an adverse effect. but it is, if we allow them to continuesly raise each charge 7-10 cents without standing up for ourselves and having a voice we will hit a point when everyone will get hit with the ETF. i for one love my BB storm. but with the raise in charges/fees cosntantly i can no longer afford to deal with VZW which means in must give up my BBstorm. it's sad but it has to happen otherwise i'll go into Further debt. with this economy it's been 3 years since my last raise, but VZW has raised their fee's estimated 14-15 times in that time period.
    07-13-09 10:46 AM
    Why don't you just call and get your credit for 1.50 then?

Also, the whole RELY ON part is to prevent anyone from writing "free service for life with unlimited free upgrades" on your contract and it being binding.

Have fun being an internet lawyer though. I'm sure its more fun than being a real one.

07-13-09 12:03 PM
    I guess the supposed opinion of one "lawyer" in Massachussetts trumps the work of entire legal departments at all carriers & US case law/judgments.

07-13-09 12:24 PM
    I'm not going to argue with you guys anymore. Obviously being a lawyer on the internet is the cool thing of this thread, you guys clearly know more than Verizons attorneys who have drafted verizons policy stating this does not constitute a waiver of the ETF.

If you were clearly canceling because of the "adverse" affect you would call and get a credit for the difference and call it good, but you aren't, rather you are leaving the company. So what you're really trying to do is weasel out of your contract.
    07-13-09 01:00 PM

Where is this at? I want out!
    07-13-09 01:09 PM
    Where is this at? I want out!
    Read here:

You May Get Out of Verizon Wireless Contract without ETF - check June/July 09 Bill

This guy posted he was successful
    Yes. I completed this yesterday, successfully, based solely on “Administrative Charge” increase. My Verizon service will remain active until the end of my billing cycle at which point, I will receive a final bill without an Early Terminations Fee. If you are unclear as to what this fee increase is and would like clarification, please call 888-684-1888, option # 3. I have been a Verizon customer since 2000 and had over 1 year left on my contract. It is time for me to part ways, due to another increase, which is a “Verizon initiated charge”, not a taxation required by the FCC or Federal/Sate law. If this were the case, Verizon does not honor the requests to cancel without receiving a ETF. Petty and humorous it may be - the rate increase will allow you out of your contract under Verizon’s own contractual terms.

To cancel my Verizon service, it did take 1.5hrs on the phone, allot of patience, speaking with 2 different CSR’s and 2 different Supervisors, and me not accepting any other offers they presented me with to remain a Verizon customer. Multiple times in our conversations, the Supervisors stated that they would like to do research and call me back. Do not allow them to do this. Clearly state to them that this is unacceptable and you would like the matter resolved immediately.

"Geeky One", the self proclaimed Verizon supervisor, is in clear violation of his employer/employee contract with Verizon. To come on here and make false statements, which he has, could cost him his job; especially if this ends up on the desk of the CSO (Smile). While "Geeky One" means well (to be debated), the customer retention scare tactics he is using, are completely false. If this happens to anyone, please contact the BBB and your local State Attorney Generals office. Action, although delayed and slow, shall be taken against the denial of a contractual obligation. If enough claims are filed, this could also help initiate the process of a rightful Class Action Lawsuit.

Verizon, by law, is required to honor this request for up to 60 days, after the notification to the customer. In this case, I received notification on my June statement and at that point, I have 60 days to cancel, without receive an Early Termination Fee. Verizon, by law, is bound to their own contract which clearly states the following:

“Our Rights to Make Changes
    Your service is subject to our business policies, practices and procedures, which we can change without notice. UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WE CAN ALSO CHANGE PRICES AND ANY OTHER CONDITIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME BY SENDING YOU WRITTEN NOTICE PRIOR TO THE BILLING PERIOD IN WHICH THE CHANGES WOULD GO INTO EFFECT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR SERVICE AFTER THAT POINT, YOU'RE ACCEPTING THE CHANGES. IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, WITHOUT ANY EARLY TERMINATION FEE, JUST BY CALLING US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER WE SEND NOTICE OF THE CHANGE.”

Verizon clearly exercised their right to make a change, increasing a Verizon initiated fee and then notifying the customers of the increase. We, as customers, have 60 days from that notification, to exercise our right to end our Verizon service, without receiving Early Termination Fees. Verizon chose not to define “Material Adverse Effect”, so even if it is a $.01 increase, Verizon has no way, or law abiding rights for that matter, to judge the direct effect this has on you. Funny this loop hole may be, but this is basic law and the way Verizon instituted their contract.

If you end up with a CSR or Supervisor, who is unaware of your rights to cancel your contract without the ETF, politely ask to speak with someone else who can assist you. I would advise you to set aside at least 1 hour, to complete this process. Good luck and bring some extreme patience to the table.
    Last edited by BoNg420; 07-13-09 at 01:22 PM.
    07-13-09 01:12 PM
    Great I'll try when i get off
    07-13-09 01:27 PM
    My question though would be if I get out of my contract, can i get another one. I just want to be able to get a new phone and not wait a year.
    07-13-09 01:45 PM
    Sure - the guy paid a MA attorney hundreds of dollars to get an opinion on a few cents variation? That would be blatantly stupid.

I don't buy it for a moment.

07-13-09 01:52 PM
    You can hem, haw, call names & act in all manner of combativeness & juvenile iinsults. But here is reality:

The only portion of any cell phone service covered by contract is the voice-plan component. Nothing more & nothing less. Taxes, optional features & your temperment/common-sense are not included.

Nothing can be accomplished here, unless your only intent is to stir things up. Your position has been disproven in court and online and even if it weren't, no one here could help you anyway.

It is a few cents and it is lower than what some other carriers charge anyway. If you're going to spend this much time arguing over a few cents, I would seriously question your judgment & reasoning abilities.

07-13-09 01:52 PM
    My only reason would be to stir people up with a couple wtf's. Thats lame i know its only change but please.
    07-13-09 02:00 PM
    The FUSC is a charge that does vary by quarter. This, along with the charge itself, was explained to you in the welcome guide when you signed up. Even if some people do get their contracts canceled it's not because they're right it's because some supervisor just gave in.
    07-13-09 02:51 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD