I ordered an 8830 World Edition from ebay today, to hold me over till the Tour comes out. Currently I have a Voyager which is totally locked down by Verizon and I am worried that the Blackberry will be just as locked down.

Two of my biggest concerns are Instant messaging and internet. The Voyager forces you to use a built in mobile IM client that is awful, it treats each IM as a text and half the time it doesnt go through. Can I download a real IM client like Yahoo instant messenger and use it instead of the mobile IM app. Also will instant messages sent be counted as texts or data?

My second concern is browser, can I use Opera or Bolt or will I have to use the BB browser only?

Im sorry if these are noob questions but I am coming from the phones that are locked down, and using the blackberries at the verizon store they appear to be locked in the same manner. Im hoping this is not the case
    05-24-09 06:33 PM
    Yes you can download other IM clients and there are many available. Whether or not it goes through data or texts depends on the client itself.

You can use other browsers, you're not limited to Browser only.

Btw, welcome to CB!
    05-24-09 06:45 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I want to use Yahoo Instant Messenger. Basically the same people I text are on Yahoo so if Yahoo just uses data I could drop my texting plan,which is what Im hoping for.
    05-24-09 07:15 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I want to use Yahoo Instant Messenger. Basically the same people I text are on Yahoo so if Yahoo just uses data I could drop my texting plan,which is what Im hoping for.

most of the messengers on blackberrys use data all of the rim clients use data ie yahoo, aim, msn, gtalk, icq,

the multi clients usually also use data so yes if your going to use the IM clients instead of texting then you can definitely drop your texting plan.
    05-24-09 11:30 PM
    most of the messengers on blackberrys use data all of the rim clients use data ie yahoo, aim, msn, gtalk, icq,

the multi clients usually also use data so yes if your going to use the IM clients instead of texting then you can definitely drop your texting plan.
    Thank you that is exactly what I was hoping to hear
    05-25-09 05:47 PM
    thats right with im it just used data not sms so you will be fine with dropping the bundle if you have one
    05-30-09 08:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD