This is for all of you that also own a Verizon Network Extender, maybe some of you have had similar strange behavior.

Recently I dumped my Storm, I sold it to some dude on Craigslist and went back to my old Curve. When I attempted to dial Verizon via #611 via the 8330, the automated system wouldnt respond to my input. (Press 1 for English, etc.) I tried over and over and I initially thought it was the Curve since it had been sometime since I had used it. I tried making a call, sending an MMS, SMS and all worked. After some brainstorming, I unplugged the Network Extender and tried the automated system (AS) again.

It worked just fine.

My wife has also had problems with various AS with her Pearl, and this past week we had visitors from out of town. Well they too had issues with their banking AS. So everytime I need to use any type of AS, I have to unplug it and step outside to acquire a signal.

Has anyone else had this issue? What could be the cause and how can I resolve it?
    07-01-09 11:02 AM
    Sounds like the DTMF tones aren't being transmitted through the network extender. That's weird!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 11:24 AM
    It almost sounds like there might be just enough latency in the connection to miss the short tones on a BlackBerry.

Unlike many devices, BlackBerrys typically don't have the ability to adjust DTMF from short to long. This adds to the fact BlackBerrys have a shorter than average DTMF length. It works well in most cases, but can cause problems where latency or a less-than-optimal signal exists.

To top it off, if you hold a key, it sounds like the tone is extended. In reality, you hear a long tone, while only a short tone is transmitted.

The BlackBerry DTMF duration is about 150ms - barely long enough for most processes. It is evidently a way to conserve battery life - I can't think of any other reason RIM wouldn't offer the ability to lengthen it.

It is a BlackBerry issue and not any particular model. I have a friend with a Bold - he has issues entering the password for his AT&T voicemail, but can control his Qwest home VM without a problem.

07-01-09 12:02 PM
    Could it be cause he dialed #611?
    07-01-09 04:45 PM
    Only if he had to first press a key to speak English. Sorry, but when I get that I take my business elsewhere.

#611 works just fine. It is the original dial sequence for CS.

07-01-09 04:53 PM
    It almost sounds like there might be just enough latency in the connection to miss the short tones on a BlackBerry.

Unlike many devices, BlackBerrys typically don't have the ability to adjust DTMF from short to long. This adds to the fact BlackBerrys have a shorter than average DTMF length. It works well in most cases, but can cause problems where latency or a less-than-optimal signal exists.

To top it off, if you hold a key, it sounds like the tone is extended. In reality, you hear a long tone, while only a short tone is transmitted.

The BlackBerry DTMF duration is about 150ms - barely long enough for most processes. It is evidently a way to conserve battery life - I can't think of any other reason RIM wouldn't offer the ability to lengthen it.

It is a BlackBerry issue and not any particular model. I have a friend with a Bold - he has issues entering the password for his AT&T voicemail, but can control his Qwest home VM without a problem.

I think it could be a latency issue as you mentioned. I typically have trouble holding conversations with-out talking over the other party and vice versa. There is certainly a lag when using the network extender, which I dont necessarily think is the network extenders fault, but more than likely related to the speed of my connection (10 Mbps). As for it being just a Blackberry issue, I've had it happen on dumbphones as well.
    07-01-09 04:53 PM
    I use both #611 and *611, they are effectively the same.
    07-01-09 04:55 PM
    I just use 611, really hate dialing more than I have to

Actually I have to call employee accounts
    07-01-09 05:03 PM
    I think it could be a latency issue as you mentioned. I typically have trouble holding conversations with-out talking over the other party and vice versa. There is certainly a lag when using the network extender, which I dont necessarily think is the network extenders fault, but more than likely related to the speed of my connection (10 Mbps). As for it being just a Blackberry issue, I've had it happen on dumbphones as well.
    Latency can affect any phone - it is why I am not a fan of VoIP - but most other phones will let you choose long or short tones within the config options. Why BlackBerry doesn't, I have no clue.

As to LR's comment, I am the same - I dial 800-555-1212 and not 1-800-555-1212 because I don't want to dial any more than I have to. With mobile phones, you don't have to.

I'd rather save my fingers for something more worthwhile - like raising Cain here.

07-01-09 05:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD