11-08-09 09:38 PM
101 ... 2345
tools
    But what are your credentials
    I have a high post count & bust WV's chops?
    10-31-09 03:20 PM
    I have a high post count & bust WV's chops?
    Works for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 05:31 PM
    Works for me.
    Good thing - would hate to bust your chops - you exhibit a high degree of intelligence!
    10-31-09 06:47 PM
    Good thing - would hate to bust your chops - you exhibit a high degree of intelligence!
    Thank you I think Also I like to stay on your good side.
    10-31-09 07:17 PM
    Thank you I think Also I like to stay on your good side.
    I think you have that covered.
    10-31-09 07:17 PM
    That is a MUCH better option - one that doesn't eat into your available bandwidth, needs no port work, and will work when your broadband connection goes down. It is also not tied to a particular carrier & doesn't require line of sight for GPS. You're also not limited to 3 connections. The options & capabilities leave femtos in the dust.

The advantage of femto units? They don't scare people with installation requirements AND you carrier will offer you limited support. After all, we needed to get into the attic to install my Wilson system - but some will mount on the wall/ceiling.

ZBoost is great & if you need more options or configurability, you can look at Wilson repeaters - but Wilson products do cost more. Wilson options include simultaneous CDMA & GSM as well as 3G performance on both.

I have seen zBoost repeaters for under $200.
    zBoost makes some awesome products that can cost upwards of $800 or more installed, for those with deeper pockets. The YX610-PCS-CEL was provided to me as a test unit and is working extremely well. It is designed for larger homes and offices. Antennas are directional and should be dialed in with a signal meter. Wi-Ex, the manufacturer makes a variety of units from under $200 to over $500 plus installation. They also make a mobile kit. The YX610 has solved the signal issues I had at my house. I have also installed this at several of my clients homes and everyone is satisfied.
    11-01-09 05:47 AM
    zBoost makes some awesome products that can cost upwards of $800 or more installed, for those with deeper pockets. The YX610-PCS-CEL was provided to me as a test unit and is working extremely well. It is designed for larger homes and offices. Antennas are directional and should be dialed in with a signal meter. Wi-Ex, the manufacturer makes a variety of units from under $200 to over $500 plus installation. They also make a mobile kit. The YX610 has solved the signal issues I had at my house. I have also installed this at several of my clients homes and everyone is satisfied.
    I have a question about these. I have one installed at home and in my truck and they are better than the net extenders. But my question is does Verizon frown on these? I heard that somewhere they say you aren't supposed to use a repeater to amplify their signal. If true I don't know how they would enforce it but I think I did read it somewhere.
    11-01-09 10:10 AM
    I have a question about these. I have one installed at home and in my truck and they are better than the net extenders. But my question is does Verizon frown on these? I heard that somewhere they say you aren't supposed to use a repeater to amplify their signal. If true I don't know how they would enforce it but I think I did read it somewhere.
    Yup, they do. I read it somewhere on their site. Like you said I dont know how they would enforce it. I'll try and find it...

11-01-09 01:43 PM
    I have seen that too - not sure if they were meaning private repeaters, though. I think it might be more for people trying to resell a signal or making a profit by extending range to an unlicensed area.

I can't think of any way they could (or would) enforce it if I am just enhancing signal for my own use. If I understand FCC regulations - and I mostly do - they can't, as long as the signal is used for what the carrier intends.
    11-01-09 01:56 PM
    Because I am a former Alltel customer, still on an Alltel plan, VZW will not authorize a NE for me. My only resort was to take matters into my own hands. The good news is that these devices work and once installed properly, they work for just about any carrier. Poor reception at my house was not an option.

11-01-09 04:27 PM
    Didn't they discontinue it?
    11-01-09 04:37 PM
    These other solutions may be better but they are not more portable. On a recent trip I knew I was going into an area with a weak signal. I packed up the network extender and at the destination, hooked up to internet and voila 4 bars. Clearly dragging the NE around was not my idea of a good time, but it is semi-portable and works as advertised. Also, wife wasn't happy I took away her 4 bars.
    11-01-09 10:19 PM
    These other solutions may be better but they are not more portable. On a recent trip I knew I was going into an area with a weak signal. I packed up the network extender and at the destination, hooked up to internet and voila 4 bars. Clearly dragging the NE around was not my idea of a good time, but it is semi-portable and works as advertised. Also, wife wasn't happy I took away her 4 bars.
    Both zBoost & Wilson have portable & vehicle-mount systems. I have one in many of my cars.

Of course, I don't have a wife to upset.

11-01-09 10:38 PM
    Both zBoost & Wilson have portable & vehicle-mount systems. I have one in many of my cars.

Of course, I don't have a wife to upset.

Although zboost has some interesting technology, I would rather use the N.E. It's supported by Verizon and works as advertised. zboost technology would obviously be more useful in the field where you can't plug your N.E. into a wired network.
    11-03-09 08:05 AM
    Although zboost has some interesting technology, I would rather use the N.E. It's supported by Verizon and works as advertised. zboost technology would obviously be more useful in the field where you can't plug your N.E. into a wired network.
    One of the issues with the VZW NE is that VZW will not provide it if you still have an Alltel plan. zBoost and Wilson works with most carriers. Physically, the NE Is much easier to install.

11-03-09 12:47 PM
    I installed a NE yesterday. It took all of 10 minutes to hook up and about 10 to boot up an obtain a GPS lock. Unfortunately I paid full price but the trade of is no more long distance, I can get text and email. I went from one bar to 3 to 4 with no lag or static.

11-03-09 04:54 PM
    They cannot "guarantee" a signal in a building according to their policy because of materials but this commercial kinda contradicts that statement along with some of their other "Dead Zone" Commercials.

In this one a guy is in a building and then "hey mister, you going to the laundry room", "I was", "it's a dead zone, reception is terrible blah, blah, blah," "I have the Verizon Network", "you are good", "that's cool"

Now to me that is representing on TV they have coverage in a building

Oh yeah this one says "in there"

I understand that there are extenuating circumstances but when you are 2.25 miles away from a working tower in a single story ranch you would think that signal strength would not be a problem but I do drop and lose calls on the BB all the time, the same with the wife’s new LG ENV3. When we had Motorola's there was never a problem. No, we do not want to go back to Motorolas

There have been a number of folks on CrackBerry that had a poor signal in their house and got FREE extenders, true ?

Myself, being that I believe in conspiracy theories believe and that they are lowering their tower signal strength so they can sell more network extenders to increase the bottom line, but that is just me
    Last edited by Easy Ed; 11-08-09 at 08:53 PM.
    11-08-09 06:57 PM
    All I can say is I know folks a lot closer towers in the same boat you are. Bottom line no carrier will assure srevice in a building. If I really say what I want to say about your word of non-wisdom, I would banned for life from the board. So I will defer to other that also know how Wireless works to rip you a new one.
    Last edited by lastraid; 11-08-09 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typos
    11-08-09 07:15 PM
    Please PM then, I am willing to learn, and if I have it coming for something said, I can take it, no problem, please say what is on your mind in the PM, Ed

All I can say is I know folks a lot closer towers in the same boat you are. Bottom line on carrier will assure srevice in a building. If I really say what I want to say about your word of non-wisdom, I would banned for life from the board. So I will defer to other that actually know how Wireless works to rip you a new one.
    11-08-09 07:34 PM
    I am not one who gets baited. If you questions about the Net Ext, I or others will do our best to answer them for you. To expand on your distance conern though, you may 2.25 miles from a tower, but not only can building get in the way, but everything between you and the tower.

As for device you comparing other devices, this is not good way either as they are differnent manufactuers and the insides are different. Antennas are different, etc.
    11-08-09 07:41 PM
    What, you think I would go to the mods over something you would say to me, come on I am 54 not 15 and don't play those games. Give me some credit here. If you are right and I am wrong in what I said I will own up to my mistake versus go whining to the mods, PROMISE !!!!

I do know that Motorola makes a better phone from our learning experience here at home, but I wanted the BB functions, just did not know about the radio in it and the same with the LG.

I live in the country/sticks, flat land and not a lot of foliage and at night I can see the red light on the tower, if I turn my phone to the tower while at the front window I will get four bars, turn it away and they go to no bars. My phone calls now consist of setting the phone on the front picture window and use BlueTooth and then I am able to talk for hours on end without a problem at all.

Ed

I am not one who gets baited. If you questions about the Net Ext, I or others will do our best to answer them for you. To expand on your distance conern though, you may 2.25 miles from a tower, but not only can building get in the way, but everything between you and the tower.

As for device you comparing other devices, this is not good way either as they are differnent manufactuers and the insides are different. Antennas are different, etc.
    Last edited by Easy Ed; 11-09-09 at 12:18 PM.
    11-08-09 07:55 PM
    What, you think I would go to the mods over something you would say to me, come on I am 54 not 15 and don't play those games. Give me some credit here. If you are right and I am wrong in what I said I will own up to my mistake versus go whining to the mods, PROMISE !!!!

I do know know that Motorola makes a better phone from our learning experience here at home, but I wanted the BB functions, just did not know about the radio in it and the same with the LG.

I live in the counrty/sticks, flat land and not a lot of foliage and at night I can see the red light on the tower, if I turn my phone to the tower while at the front window I will get four bars, turn it away and they go to no bars. My phone calls now consist of setting the phone on the front picture window and use BlueTooth and then I am able to talk for hours on end without a problem at all.

Ed
    This would then tell me, that your phones will work better outside and that dwelling is causing the issue with the signal.

It is not that I am giving less credit or insulting your intelligents. This why there is forums here to communicate and debate. Also others will learn and benfit from the conversation. Each experience is different. I use to live in LA, saturated with towers, I could not make calls from in my office to save my life, yet I took 3 steps outside and no problem. What did VZW do for me? Nada. So I can feel your pain. The Net Ext is an option for those in a postion like ours.

I wish they would have had a Net Extender back then.

Cost is cost and a business will charge what the market will bear and from what I have seen, people are willing to pay the price. Have there been free or reducded prices given? Maybe I have no idea, but I am sure each case reviewed is done on a case by case basis.
    11-08-09 08:12 PM
    It doesn't take what's outside and bring it inside. The network extender is basically it's own cell tower. You have to have at least a DSL internet connection in order for it to work and if you're in an area where you get little to no reception indoors it's well worth the money. You only pay for the device the one time since there is no monthly fee. And I think it's cool that it can support 3 calls at a time.
    11-08-09 08:16 PM
    The phone for the most part does work fine outdoors agreed. I also agree on a case by case on the extender on who gets one for free or not. But my greif with them is that in the end they said I only dropped two calls and that was not bad. Well true, but, what they did not know was that to keep from dropping the calls I put the phone in the window and use the BlueTooth to prevent lost call, it was my "work around" and if they would have asked me why I was complaining over two calls I could have explained but they elected to close the ticket and not bother to call me about it. It was me to call them to find the result I did contact them through their site to try to reopen the ticket and explained to them again about our past lack of problems with Motorolas and now we have phones with minds of their own and have the fluctuating signal and to please take another look at the problem. And yes I did include their commercials and what was stated in them

And as for my last comment in my first post about them changing signal strength was a joke hence the winky eyed smiley face

Ed

P.S. If all else fails and we buy the extender, it will have to wait till things pick up in our area, jobs are few and far between.

This would then tell me, that your phones will work better outside and that dwelling is causing the issue with the signal.

It is not that I am giving less credit or insulting your intelligents. This why there is forums here to communicate and debate. Also others will learn and benfit from the conversation. Each experience is different. I use to live in LA, saturated with towers, I could not make calls from in my office to save my life, yet I took 3 steps outside and no problem. What did VZW do for me? Nada. So I can feel your pain. The Net Ext is an option for those in a postion like ours.

I wish they would have had a Net Extender back then.

Cost is cost and a business will charge what the market will bear and from what I have seen, people are willing to pay the price. Have there been free or reducded prices given? Maybe I have no idea, but I am sure each case reviewed is done on a case by case basis.
    11-08-09 08:39 PM
    The phone for the most part does work fine outdoors agreed. I also agree on a case by case on the extender on who gets one for free or not. But my greif with them is that in the end they said I only dropped two calls and that was not bad. Well true, but, what they did not know was that to keep from dropping the calls I put the phone in the window and use the BlueTooth to prevent lost call, it was my "work around" and if they would have asked me why I was complaining over two calls I could have explained but they elected to close the ticket and not bother to call me about it. It was me to call them to find the result I did contact them through their site to try to reopen the ticket and explained to them again about our past lack of problems with Motorolas and now we have phones with minds of their own and have the fluctuating signal and to please take another look at the problem. And yes I did include their commercials and what was stated in them

And as for my last comment in my first post about them changing signal strength was a joke hence the winky eyed smiley face

Ed

P.S. If all else fails and we buy the extender, it will have to wait till things pick up in our area, jobs are few and far between.
    First off, sorry to hear things are by you community and hope things better really soon.

Another option is to kind of taking a hit and marking the calls everytime you drop by dialing *** after each dropped call. This way, they know you dropped the call prior to the marking. This way if they have been to your area in a bit, they may send a performance team to the area and measure. This can result in finding a tower that is weak, adjustment can be made, they can recommend new towers if warranted. They may deem the area as a known issue area.

Keep in mind, the phones work better outside, and they will say it is a dwelling issue and you are back to square one.

Best of luck on your decision.
    11-08-09 09:05 PM
101 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD