I notice on VZW website that they have a network extender that you can buy. Seems to be able to boost your signal if you have poor reception in your house. I am thinking on getting it, but it is a bit pricey at $250.00. Was wondering if anyone has one and if so, is it worth it ?
    My Sister & Brother in law bought one of these because they had no service at their home.

Something they fail to mention and it takes days of support calls to figure out is that it has to be able to communicate with a VERIZON cell tower to function properly, so you can't have it work somewhere with no service at all, like their place.
    10-30-09 03:38 PM
    Actually to be precise, the maximum amount of bandwidth consumed by the device is documented in the user manual. You can probably find that information on-line.
    This has nothing do with performance adjustment.

Your router is directing traffic between your devices and the internet. If you are downloading a video and router is not releasing the bandwidth to your NE, then your NE will have to wait, hence, delay issue.
    10-30-09 03:38 PM
    My Sister & Brother in law bought one of these because they had no service at their home.

Something they fail to mention and it takes days of support calls to figure out is that it has to be able to communicate with a VERIZON cell tower to function properly, so you can't have it work somewhere with no service at all, like their place.
    Nope, wrong. It does not communicate with a Verizon cell tower to operate. It does however, have to be used in an area where Verizon has a license to operate-those areas are usually where Verizon already has cell towers in place. These are mainly designed to give you coverage indoors (Where normally Verizon does not guarantee their service to work).

Network extenders wont work in Verizons Extended Network Service Area
    Last edited by cenloe; 10-30-09 at 03:54 PM.
    10-30-09 03:50 PM
    Excellent Red Sox. Thanks.

Are you from Boston ? NH here, so a Sox fan too !

I'm actually in NH too but 100% a Boston girl at heart.
    10-30-09 05:03 PM
    This has nothing do with performance adjustment.

Your router is directing traffic between your devices and the internet. If you are downloading a video and router is not releasing the bandwidth to your NE, then your NE will have to wait, hence, delay issue.
    Router controls the usage with QOS. However the amount of bandwidth used by the N.E. Is documented. Crappy router low bandwidth connection poor performance. Good router high bandwidth connection no issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 12:20 AM

Also needs to be able to lock on GPS and as said be in an area Verizon is licensed to operate. It does not need a cell phone tower to operate.

10-31-09 12:22 AM
    Router controls the usage with QOS. However the amount of bandwidth used by the N.E. Is documented. Crappy router low bandwidth connection poor performance. Good router high bandwidth connection no issues.

QoS - ajusting the router routing setting. I said that already.

Bandwidth used by NE. Whether it is abc or xyz. What differnce does it make? It's what it is and there is nothing you can do.

Crappy router. No differnce at all for consumer homes. The bottleneck is the internet upload speed or lack of it. A $25 router has enough processing power to queue all packets to be uploaded. A $1000 Cisco router cannot improve the upload performance.

10-31-09 01:13 AM
    QoS - ajusting the router routing setting. I said that already.

Bandwidth used by NE. Whether it is abc or xyz. What differnce does it make? It's what it is and there is nothing you can do.

Crappy router. No differnce at all for consumer homes. The bottleneck is the internet upload speed or lack of it. A $25 router has enough processing power to queue all packets to be uploaded. A $1000 Cisco router cannot improve the upload performance.

A $1000 router should be able to manage traffic better than a $25 router. Have you looked at the bandwidth usage of a N.E? With the exception of dialup every other internet connection should be fine, except if your connection has high packet loss.

10-31-09 03:44 AM
    A $1000 router should be able to manage traffic better than a $25 router. Have you looked at the bandwidth usage of a N.E? With the exception of dialup every other internet connection should be fine, except if your connection has high packet loss.

I have seen some low end DSL connetions have issues as well satelite connections are not supported for the latency and upload speed issues. They can work, but not much can be if they don't.
    10-31-09 08:20 AM
    A $1000 router should be able to manage traffic better than a $25 router. Most definitely, but you are not identifying the problem. You are talking about traffic within your local network, but that's not the bottleneck. The bottleneck is your internet connection or traffic going outside of your local network. $1000 router is not going to get you faster download and upload speed.

"every other internet connection should be fine", completely wrong. So Amazon or eBay can just run their servers off a cheap DSL connection, right? Why are their speed price differences for internet services. Why do businesses have T1 lines?

Have you looked at the bandwidth usage of a N.E? No, there is no reason to? Assume it is 123456. What should I do with that? You kept referencing this information but have no use for solving the problem.

You have to think of the router as an "airport". Certainly a better router (bigger airport) will reduce taxi traffic within the airport. Planes can move around faster between terminals and aprons. It doesn's solve the delay problem as you have only 1 runway (slow internet connection) for takeoff and landing. All the traffic controller can do is to queue the 10 Boeing 747 (NE Extender), the 50 DC10 (files attachment) and 100 Cessna (email) for takeoff. They have to wait in line and can only takeoff 1 at a time. As it, it's first come first serve for take off. You use QoS to give the Boeing 747 priority so they cut to the front of the line at all time.
    Last edited by leskchan; 10-31-09 at 11:15 AM.
    10-31-09 10:02 AM
    NE requiremment as found on VZW website

Your Verizon Wireless Network Extender will work with most broadband or DSL connections (from Verizon or another Internet service provider). A minimum broadband speed of 300 Kbps is required. The Network Extender is not recommended for use with EVDO or satellite broadband service.

The impact on broadband performance varies depending on the Internet service provider and the broadband speed. A Network Extender utilizes approximately 40 Kbps of upload and download capacity per call.
    Last edited by lastraid; 10-31-09 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Edit Bandwith Used info
    10-31-09 10:39 AM
    NE requiremment as found on VZW website

Your Verizon Wireless Network Extender will work with most broadband or DSL connections (from Verizon or another Internet service provider). A minimum broadband speed of 300 Kbps is required. The Network Extender is not recommended for use with EVDO or satellite broadband service.

Now if memory serves me at this time each phone that attached to NE will use 20 Kbps.
    Okay. Now you add up your other internet usages, like internet browsing, music downloads, online games, etc. What do you do now?
    10-31-09 10:43 AM
    Okay. Now you add up your other internet usages, like internet browsing, music downloads, online games, etc. What do you do now?
    IF you have that slow of a connection, call your providser and see if they can upgrade your speed. Yes, it would cost more.
    10-31-09 11:16 AM
    IF you have that slow of a connection, call your providser and see if they can upgrade your speed. Yes, it would cost more.
    Yes, that was one of the two options we talked about already. See previous posts. My point is you can come to the same recommendation without needing to throw out randow specifications into the discussion that adds no value to solving the problem.
    Last edited by leskchan; 10-31-09 at 11:25 AM.
    10-31-09 11:21 AM
    Yes, that was one of the two options we talked about already. See previous posts. My point is you can come to the same recommendation without needing to throw out randow specifications into the discussion that adds no value to solving the problem.
    My statement was made as YOU! asked the question about speed. As far as posting specs, it is there help clarify the conversation. The main problems seen with the Net Ext. is not only speed, there ports issues, firewall issues, and router compatibilty issues to contend with. None of these have really been addressed here. Oh yes one more thing as well, the router has to VPN capable.

BTW I see you are sprint/nextel, why are posting in a forum about a VZW Network Extender anyway?

Also my statements are not random. So if you have any objections to my knowledge of the VZW network extender, please ask. If you do not like what I have to say, block my posts.

Have a nice day.
    10-31-09 11:34 AM
    Works great and now have 5 bars and my battery lasts all day and into the night. 1X only but adequate for emails, SMS, browser, etc. along with phone calls.

I notice on VZW website that they have a network extender that you can buy. Seems to be able to boost your signal if you have poor reception in your house. I am thinking on getting it, but it is a bit pricey at $250.00. Was wondering if anyone has one and if so, is it worth it ?
    10-31-09 11:45 AM
    My statement was made as YOU! asked the question about speed. As far as posting specs, it is there help clarify the conversation. The main problems seen with the Net Ext. is not only speed, there ports issues, firewall issues, and router compatibilty issues to contend with. None of these have really been addressed here. Oh yes one more thing as well, the router has to VPN capable.

BTW I see you are sprint/nextel, why are posting in a forum about a VZW Network Extender anyway?

Also my statements are not random. So if you have any objections to my knowledge of the VZW network extender, please ask. If you do not like what I have to say, block my posts.

Have a nice day.
    No, VPN is not required. Firewall has to do with security and has no performance relevant. And these has nothing to with the problem here.

I am hardware engineer working with Cisco routers and switches. I use the Sprint Airwave (another name for Verizon NE) and setup Verizon NE for my brother.

My point is people first don't look at the underlying issues and just throw out random numbers that's irrevlant to the problem. Going back to my "airport" problem. How does it help the problem if I just add "a Boeing 747 carries 500 passergers, 2 tons of fuel, 1456 cargo capacity, cruising speed of 400 mph."
    10-31-09 11:46 AM
    If bogging your internet connection is an issue, i would just go with a repeater like the zBoost YX510. When i read this thread a did some googling just to see what was out there. It basically uses an external antenna and amplifies the reception into your home (where it has been made clear that vzw DOES NOT guarantee coverage in). Other good things are that it works for EVDO as well! On ebay it can be had for about the same price that verizon is asking for its NE. just my .02
    10-31-09 11:46 AM
    No, VPN is not required. Firewall has to do with security and has no performance relevant. And these has nothing to with the problem here.

I am hardware engineer working with Cisco routers and switches. I use the Sprint Airwave (another name for Verizon NE) and setup Verizon NE for my brother.

My point is people first don't look at the underlying issues and just throw out random numbers that's irrevlant to the problem. Going back to my "airport" problem. How does it help the problem if I just add "a Boeing 747 carries 500 passergers, 2 tons of fuel, 1456 cargo capacity, cruising speed of 400 mph."
    VPN capability is. This is how VZW net extender works to authicate its connection to the VZW backbone to have it work. Other things I have stated have nothing to speed either, but general requirements for the device work properly. look at the big picture please.

Flaunting your credentials means nothing to me. except you went to school for a long time. I do not have college degree, but I will tell you being in aerospace for 20+ years, I trained quite a few Quality Engineers fresh out of college or limited experience.

Let me repeat once again, my commecnt was not posted to your concern, but a general knowledge statement to the overall requirement for bandwith speed.
    Last edited by lastraid; 10-31-09 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Fix typo
    10-31-09 11:53 AM
    You first.

Basically you are saying, "who the **** are your to talk about this ....."

Flaunting your credtials means nothing to me. except you went to school for a long time. I do not have college degree, but I will you being in aerospace for 20+ years, I trained quite a few Quality Engineers fresh out of college or limited experience.
    Now you are flauting your credital.
    10-31-09 12:12 PM
    You first.

Basically you are saying, "who the **** are your to talk about this ....."

Now you are flauting your credital.
    Yes, in way, but needed to debate another statement made by you to make a point. My point being a title and piece of paper does not mean one knows anything, but for the most part does help. So this is my last response to you about credentials, as it way off topic. If you wish to continue the working of Net Ext. I will respond.
    10-31-09 12:21 PM
    Why are you arguing with lastraid?
    10-31-09 12:47 PM
    If bogging your internet connection is an issue, i would just go with a repeater like the zBoost YX510. When i read this thread a did some googling just to see what was out there. It basically uses an external antenna and amplifies the reception into your home (where it has been made clear that vzw DOES NOT guarantee coverage in). Other good things are that it works for EVDO as well! On ebay it can be had for about the same price that verizon is asking for its NE. just my .02
    That is a MUCH better option - one that doesn't eat into your available bandwidth, needs no port work, and will work when your broadband connection goes down. It is also not tied to a particular carrier & doesn't require line of sight for GPS. You're also not limited to 3 connections. The options & capabilities leave femtos in the dust.

The advantage of femto units? They don't scare people with installation requirements AND you carrier will offer you limited support. After all, we needed to get into the attic to install my Wilson system - but some will mount on the wall/ceiling.

ZBoost is great & if you need more options or configurability, you can look at Wilson repeaters - but Wilson products do cost more. Wilson options include simultaneous CDMA & GSM as well as 3G performance on both.

I have seen zBoost repeaters for under $200.
    10-31-09 01:37 PM
    Why are you arguing with lastraid?
    Because it is fun?
    10-31-09 01:40 PM
    Because it is fun?
    But what are your credentials
    10-31-09 02:04 PM
101 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD