I have had a network extender for the past year and recently have notice my signal strength is getting lower. I have opened a trouble ticket with Verizon, still awaiting resolution, but was told they could increase the signal strength.

Has anyone run into this problem and were they able to increase the signal strength of your Network Extender?

I can be sitting 10 feet from the extender, in an open area, and still only receive 1 bar of service.
    09-10-10 10:01 AM
    I have the Sprint version of that box since it came out almost 2 years ago. Never had an issue with signal strength. When was the last time you turned it off and back on? Make sure it's where it can receive gps coordinates/have the gps antenna attached and by a window. Also do you have any lights out or red, there should be 4 steady blue (or whatever color Verizon deemed appropriate).
    09-10-10 10:28 AM
    I have the Sprint version of that box since it came out almost 2 years ago. Never had an issue with signal strength. When was the last time you turned it off and back on? Make sure it's where it can receive gps coordinates/have the gps antenna attached and by a window. Also do you have any lights out or red, there should be 4 steady blue (or whatever color Verizon deemed appropriate).
    I did a reboot again yesterday. GPS and everything is blue. I can even lay the phone right next to the extender and still get one bar.

I hope the extender is not broken, it only has a one year warranty and I have had it for 13 months. Frustrating as I have had the ticket open for just over a week-but the rep bumped it to a P1 priority last night.
    09-10-10 10:46 AM
    Yes the gain on the unit can be boosted from the network end, if needed. Make sure your PRL is current, Software/firmware is current on the phone. Have there been any changes in your home network, either by you or your ISP? Did they test your conenction? goto voiptest.8x8.com and run the test. Post your results here for download, upload, Quality of Service (QOS) and Jitter. If they did not run this, then all trouble shooting has not been done. There are also other sites this can be checked at - so it may have been done.

Would also be helpful to know the make and model of you router and who the ISP is.

I will check back later.
    09-10-10 02:43 PM
    Yes the gain on the unit can be boosted from the network end, if needed. Make sure your PRL is current, Software/firmware is current on the phone. Have there been any changes in your home network, either by you or your ISP? Did they test your conenction? goto voiptest.8x8.com and run the test. Post your results here for download, upload, Quality of Service (QOS) and Jitter. If they did not run this, then all trouble shooting has not been done. There are also other sites this can be checked at - so it may have been done.

Would also be helpful to know the make and model of you router and who the ISP is.

I will check back later.
    Whoa man, haven't seen you in a while.
    09-10-10 03:10 PM
    Oh i have been here, not much to say
    09-10-10 03:58 PM

I will check back later.
    Sorry for the delay and thanks for the response. I just received a Curve 8530 with v5.0.0.886. Updated to the latest PRL. Router is a dLink DIR-655.

Verizon did boost the gain on the extender and it has fixed my signal issues - 5 bars now throughout the house and even outside the house.

I never really had complaints about call quality, but I did run the Voip8x8 tests - wow, need to get TWC over here to work on that issue. Only getting 4.5mbs down and 326kbs up.
    09-11-10 11:27 PM
    YES! I had the same problem too and it took me 2 months to fix.

There are 2 sides to your Internet Service. Download speed (is what we hear all the bragging about) but Upload Speeds are just as important (especially if you use a Network Extender).

First determine what you upload/download speeds are by go to "Speedtest.net." Enter your nearest location on the map and then it will run a download/upload speed test.

If your upload speeds are below 1.0mbps it won't ping your extender, and so your Extender isn't going to work. If that is the case your gripe is with your Internet Service Provider, not your Extender. You need to tell your ISP to kick up your speeds or you are going to use someone else because things are not working around the place because of it.

I have a Verizon Network Extender too and I use TWC (Turbo) for my ISP. My cell phones would not work over here because TWC had my upload times dragging as low as 0.18bps. Verizon told me my upload times need to be over 1.0bps. It took me 2 month to straighten out the problem, which was TWC having too many people on one trunk line located out on the street, but after to months of constant complaints, they finally fixed it!

Assuming your are getting the mandatory 1 or 2 bars, and your Extender is in a good spot for GPS signal, it should work fine unless your download/upload speeds are screwy. Good luck going through the "Issue Up grade" process. Once you this speed issue resolve, a Network extender is a beautiful thing to have in a fringe service area.
    Last edited by Scimonetti; 09-12-10 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling
    09-12-10 12:06 AM
    I agree an extender is awesome, I get no signal where I live and it has been invaluable. The extender is one of the main reasons I chose Verizon.
    09-12-10 12:35 AM
    Sorry for the delay and thanks for the response. I just received a Curve 8530 with v5.0.0.886. Updated to the latest PRL. Router is a dLink DIR-655.

Verizon did boost the gain on the extender and it has fixed my signal issues - 5 bars now throughout the house and even outside the house.

I never really had complaints about call quality, but I did run the Voip8x8 tests - wow, need to get TWC over here to work on that issue. Only getting 4.5mbs down and 326kbs up.
    Good to hear the issue is resolved. 326 kbps is on the very low end. while the min to run it is 300 kbps, I like to see at least 600-800. What was your QOS and Jitter? This to is very important.

I will check the router as well, there are six routers with known issues and th Net Ext. I think the DIR-655 is one of them. I will let report back when Ihave the info.
    09-13-10 08:32 PM
    UPDATE:

DIR -655 router is okay.
    09-15-10 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD