Is there anyone who has a NE and a BB in a place where they have minimal vzw coverage? Do you have a problem with battery draining?

I guess i ask because i get about 1 bar of EV coverage so even though i have full 1x coverage from the network extender, my phone is still trying to get or hold on to the 1 bar of EV coverage and draining my battery.. does anyone else have that problem?

Is there any way to force it to just stay on the network extender and only under 1X?
    05-29-09 06:48 PM
    I have a Network Extender, the service in my neighborhood is marginal at best. My battery has actually improved since I received the device. No longer do I need to charge it every day. Not sure about a way to make it stay on the network extender, I dont seem to have that problem. Only when I move upstairs does my signal decrease, even though I am still conected to the NE. I do notice that I have 1XEV (Full Bars) while I am connected to the NE, which is weird because its not supposed to give data on 3G. Dial #48 Send, and it will tell you if you are under NE coverage.
    05-29-09 07:21 PM
    I have a Network Extender, the service in my neighborhood is marginal at best. My battery has actually improved since I received the device. No longer do I need to charge it every day. Not sure about a way to make it stay on the network extender, I dont seem to have that problem. Only when I move upstairs does my signal decrease, even though I am still conected to the NE. I do notice that I have 1XEV (Full Bars) while I am connected to the NE, which is weird because its not supposed to give data on 3G. Dial #48 Send, and it will tell you if you are under NE coverage.
    right so when you see full 1XEV that means your phone is grabbing EV service from a tower. Because blackberries dont have two seperate signal meters like most other vzw phones, it displays the signal strength that is the highest. Thus it is possible to have 5 bars of 1X and 1 bar of EV but it still shows 5 bars of 1XEV.

Anyhow your battery is still draining fast because it is grabbing that EV signal from the tower. you would notice even a greater improvement in battery life if the NE had EV on it...
    05-29-09 07:33 PM
    I thought that the 5 bars of 1XEV was inaccurate, but when I made the test call It said I was under NE coverage. While on that call I still had 5 bars of 1XEV, so I guess Im still confused about it all.
    05-29-09 07:52 PM
    NE does not support EVDO coverage. With this in mind, a BB like to have an EVDO signal. This means the device will go out and try to get it. I have heard cases where a BB will even drop off an NE to do this. Rare, but I have heard it.

Does it make your battery drain? it should not as the 1X the basic signal the device looks for is strong off the NE.

Now I also hope that X2DAD will hope in on this as his tower and deep knowledge fromyears of experience should help in getting the total answer
    05-29-09 07:59 PM
    NE does not support EVDO coverage. With this in mind, a BB like to have an EVDO signal. This means the device will go out and try to get it. I have heard cases where a BB will even drop off an NE to do this. Rare, but I have heard it.

Does it make your battery drain? it should not as the 1X the basic signal the device looks for is strong off the NE.

Now I also hope that X2DAD will hope in on this as his tower and deep knowledge fromyears of experience should help in getting the total answer
    Except as you pointed out the BB likes to have an EVDO signal so if your in a place that has borderline coverage it will still be searching and using POWER to find and hold whatever little EVDO signal it has from the tower while staying on the NE for the voice portion.
    05-29-09 08:04 PM
    Except where I live and I just had a network ticket filled out today, my device switches between 1X and 1XEV all darn day. I have noticed no difference in my battery consumption
    05-29-09 08:11 PM

I agree, no arguement here, Im just saying that while connected to the NE my Storm will show 5 bars of 1XEV. But like ddarvish stated, "when you see full 1XEV that means your phone is grabbing EV service from a tower. Because blackberries dont have two seperate signal meters like most other vzw phones, it displays the signal strength that is the highest. Thus it is possible to have 5 bars of 1X and 1 bar of EV but it still shows 5 bars of 1XEV."
    05-29-09 08:25 PM
    makes sense to me
    05-29-09 08:28 PM
    is this a huge deal about the 1ex vs evdo? I mean when Im at home my berry goes from a power house to a house phone. What about you?
    05-31-09 12:39 AM
    Just talked to VZW (actually several) trying to my network extender at a discount. Not happening. Good job for those of you who did get a discount. Going to try it out for 30 days. If its a flop looks like I'm going else where. Maybe back to ATT? I was able to geta pearl flip for a one year price at no contract extension though (if I want to use it that is)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 07:16 PM
    I'm not sure what the situation is. I used to be an indirect agent for vzw a while back. I can tell you that when in a low signal area that your phone will triple the power it normally uses trying to find the better signal. Even though the phone will not find the better signal, the phone doesn't know that and therefore will continue to look killing the battery. I actually just received my network extender yesterday and am pretty pleased with it. I was just at the vzw site and only the 1x is covered through the n.e. Why when it's broadcasted through the internet is beyond me. Now understanding that and knowing that I do have internet service at home via home computer and a laptop, I mainly only use my bb internet when I'm out and about. I'm just happy to have perfect coverage in my house now and be able to make and maintain my calls as I do not have a house phone. The best way to get a discount on one of these is to say your coverage at home sucks, and that you are looking at going to another carrier based on that fact. That knowing you need to use your own internet service, your electricity ect. is enough to want to make you switch, and that without a nice discount that you will most likely change to a carrier that has the better coverage. The biggest deal breaker with any wireless company is coverage at home. If you don't get the coverage then you can disconnect without any early termination fee's. Because you are paying for coverage. I also let them know what my monthly bill is and what they make per year off me and trust me they gave me 50 off the price, still which I wasn't too happy with but at least it was something. In answering the original question, with 5 bars of the 1x signal your phone will not continue to search for the ev over the 1x. With the 5 bars of 1x signal your phone should be perfect on the battery life. So the coverage is not the issue with the battery. There has to be some other problem that is draining the batt.
    Last edited by Raptor6977; 06-26-09 at 06:07 AM.
    06-26-09 06:03 AM
    is this a huge deal about the 1ex vs evdo? I mean when Im at home my berry goes from a power house to a house phone. What about you?
    Not a big deal at all - voice is voice. The data is a little slower, but you won't notice much. BlackBerrys are not really equipped to take advantage of all the added speed.

And if you're in range of your extender, you have your broadband connection on your computer, complete with a real screen & real keyboard.

06-26-09 11:53 PM
    Not a big deal at all - voice is voice. The data is a little slower, but you won't notice much. BlackBerrys are not really equipped to take advantage of all the added speed.

And if you're in range of your extender, you have your broadband connection on your computer, complete with a real screen & real keyboard.

I agree. While the net ext can support 1X data, this device is really to improve voice in the home. If your purpose is to improve data for your device, you have purchased this for all the wrong reasons.
    06-27-09 08:28 AM
    I have asked about this before.... My phone switches on and off of the ne all the time.... Drives me crazy because whenever it does I lose the call..... Any of you hear of a ne coming down the road supporting evdo?

06-27-09 09:16 AM
    I have asked about this before.... My phone switches on and off of the ne all the time.... Drives me crazy because whenever it does I lose the call..... Any of you hear of a ne coming down the road supporting evdo?

This is a part answer.

1. BB devices want the EVDO signal and will try to access a regular tower to do it. WHen this happens you can drop a call. Not much one can do. I do know that VZW network can play with settings on the back end to that might help this, but would take a trouble ticket to get this done.

2. As far as getting an EVDO Net Ext, I have not heard anything about this. Like I stated earlier, this device is not for the betterment of data, but voice only. ALso as twins stated, if you have a net ext, then you have access to a high speed interent connection in the dwelling.
    06-27-09 09:20 AM
    Yes, however I have a blackberry for 2 reasons mostly, posting on CB while at work, and bbm which is not on computers (yet) and that requires evdo..... Guess we have to just wait and hope for an upgrade....

06-27-09 09:38 AM
    BBM does not require evdo. THis application will work on 1X
    06-27-09 10:00 AM
    It works, but not well. We both have a network extender and when we are home the messages are pending for a while before going through. When we are out and about it works with absolutely no problems. Last night took about 20 mun for a bbm to come through

06-27-09 11:02 AM
    I am using the Network Extender with My Tour where the data works fine everywhere but in my house. My device spends about 50% of time on 1XEV and 50% on 1X. My wife is using a pearl (8130) and is always on 1XEV with or without extender.

My hope is that the next 4.7 build will help the radio connect better with the network.

As i see the extender seems to only gurantee 1X
    07-17-09 10:40 AM
    I have a network extender for sale in the marketplace forum, if anyone is interested.
    07-17-09 10:50 AM
    I would think that if the wife get 1XEV all the time, she might be on a tower as the Net ext does not support 1XEV.
    07-17-09 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD