Anyone used the new netbook yet? If so, any reviews, thoughts or opinions?

I am looking at getting one to take on planes instead of my laptop, and though the built in aircard might be nice, but am wondering if it is worth the investment
    05-18-09 09:03 AM
    I have the same netbook that Verizon will release minus the aircard. The netbook is extremely slow and cannot multitask well. Don't plan on having more than one browser window open at a time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 10:50 AM
    Why would you pay for service for a netbook. Wifi is everywhere. Just get the same net book for 299

05-18-09 04:56 PM
    I agree...they should integrate their aircards into computers that will last...netbooks are great for...well not much.
    05-18-09 05:51 PM
    I agree...they should integrate their aircards into computers that will last...netbooks are great for...well not much.

this is something I have been trying to tell my brother in law. I told him DONT GET A NETBOOK just buy a sweet cellphone whether its the pre or whatever because the cellphone can do just as much as the netbook and its always in your pocket anyway.

I just feel like the netbook is a phaze that will just come and go. Your better off purchasing a small regular laptop if you really want a compact notebook. even a 13 inch macbook or dell or whatever will be nice and light and do way way more then a netbook
    05-18-09 06:08 PM
    I have a acer aspire one now for about 6-7 months, and i love it!!!! I do not know anything about the verizon model, but the whole netbook idea is great and i highly recomend the acer.
    05-18-09 06:09 PM
    I also have the aspire one (Pearly). I like it but I don'tconsider it a netbook. It has 160gb harddrive compared to the dell and hp models that are 16gb. I would have liked the sim slot to really work. There are certain things you can not do on a smartphone. My mini laptop fiyts in most of my handbags with ease. Would I continue to get it from ATT or Verizon, that is simply no I would just buy it outrite. ATT has the Aspire One starting at 99.
    05-18-09 06:31 PM
    ND7188, Please ignore some posters who negatively talk about netbook.. they have lack of experience with netbook nor own netbook.

I have own ASUS netbook with the upgraded MemoryRAM 2GB since 10/2008. I have no any major problem with it when I heavy use for purposes than my own 15.4 Laptop or desktop. My netbook is consideration the primary computer. I love it. netbook behavior alike laptop/ desktop does, expect it has no in-built dvd rom. thats all..

If you bought netbook, please buy more Memory RAM 2GB asap.

So Good luck with your decision.
    05-18-09 06:32 PM
    Yeah I forget to tell you about broaddband data plan could be rip off you. I posted @ Buyer beware- Don't buy a netbook with a broadband data plan! , there you go.

I wont use broadband data plan. I rather have hotspot wifi and pay 10 bucks for a day.
    05-18-09 06:39 PM
    ND7188, Please ignore some posters who negatively talk about netbook.. they have lack of experience with netbook nor own netbook.

I have own ASUS netbook with the upgraded MemoryRAM 2GB since 10/2008. I have no any major problem with it when I heavy use for purposes than my own 15.4 Laptop or desktop. My netbook is consideration the primary computer. I love it. netbook behavior alike laptop/ desktop does, expect it has no in-built dvd rom. thats all..

If you bought netbook, please buy more Memory RAM 2GB asap.

So Good luck with your decision.
    im far from lacking experience with it. I think the netbook idea is pretty much a joke and always will. Why spend 300-600 bucks on a netbook when you can go buy a laptop 13 inch screen or even a 15 inch screen with way more horsepower for 600-1000. The netbooks are basic pcs pretty much like a e-machine...

also what you do with a netbook is very similiar to that of what you can do with almost any of the current smarphones available....

I mean to each is own on what you want to purchase and carry around but I know at least 30 people who purchased one and returned it within the week because of what they are.

If you like yours hey thats great and If other people purchase it and like it thats fine..

but to say people dont have experience with it or know what it is makes no sense. I know perfectly well what it is and I have had experience with them.
    05-18-09 07:23 PM
    I am looking at one as I travel about 300 days a year, and while there are wifi hotspots all over, paying 10 bucks a pop at 3 different places to log into my intranet for work is a little much.

I currently have a 17" laptop and a 14.1" laptop, but I like the idea of getting something nice and small and light to use on the plane and the car charger is nice too.

Is getting the Verizon netbook more expensive in the long run than getting one without the 3g card, yeah it is, but the ease of use for work will more than make up for it I think.

I currently have a pc card that this would replace on my account and use about 200-300 megs of data a month, so I am not worried about the cost of the plan.

I ordered one today, as with our company discount and the rebate it ended up at 49 bucks, so I will try it out and see
    05-19-09 12:18 PM
    the netbook is a great little computer...but here is whats not so sweet about it

512 Mb of RAM?!? Don't even think about running more than 2 programs on it?

I'lll agree with FARBES....upgrade that baby to 2gb.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 13" and I have no problem taking it with me anywhere. The size is perfect. I would still recommend going with a 13" notebook and not sacrificing the performance.
    05-19-09 12:26 PM
    SuperDarius,

I thought about a 13" (well my 14.1 is not much bigger and only about a 1/4lb heavier) but I really like the idea of the modem built in, Leave one aircard on a bench in LAX.... well you get the idea
    05-19-09 12:32 PM
    I did have an ASUS netbook; one of the 900 series models with Xandros Linux. It was a wonderful little box, and worked very well for what I needed; email access and limited internet browsing for when I wasn't at home or in the office.
    At the time, the price was right, and the form and function were exactly what I wanted. The wireless card works very well when you can locate a hotspot. In this part of New England wifi is not everywhere.
    I stopped using the netbook when I got my BB.
    I recently sold the netbook, and the new owner is very happy with it as well.
    I've been following the threads about the Verizon netbooks, and it is tempting, but for *ME* I don't think this would work better than the BB.
    It really all comes back to the individual users needs and preferences.
    05-19-09 01:04 PM
    Its true. It is all to your needs. Most netbooks come with just enough memory to get by, so you'll want to upgrade. Second, I don't lack experience with one since I own one and have for a while now.

I just wouldn't want to have one under a two year contract. I hate having a phone for two years.

05-20-09 07:50 AM
    I'm glad I found this thread. I've been laid off for a few months now and am looking at 3 jobs that are traveling jobs (2 of which are 5 days away and 1 is 3 weeks at a time).

Anyways, I have an old HP laptop that hasn't been working and the battery is shot so I've been looking into something to take with me while I'm gone. I have a storm, but can't do everything I want as far as internet. Other than normal web browsing, I would use the netbook/laptop for streaming hockey and baseball games (audio and/or video) when I'm out of the local area.

I just didn't have much knowledge about the netbooks so I didn't know if they would be worth the $300-$400 or if it would be best to just spend another $200-$300 and get a lower end laptop...............
    05-20-09 11:52 PM
    Thought I would chime in as to my experience of the general usability of netbooks for anyone considering. I have a Samsung NC10 (with Windows XP) and for me it works very well. I love the size and battery life and it handles pretty much everything I need it to. I did upgrade it to 2 GB ram but I am able to do a lot of hefty data analysis on it and even run photoshop and illustrator (latest versions) really well. It is slower than my desktop but everything is certainly usable and not too slow as to be frustrating. I would certainly suggest hands-on testing, as I found smaller than the 10 inchers to be a little too small for my needs. The low screen resolution takes some getting used to (tweeking your browser to make the most of your screen is a must) but overall I am glad I got it.
    05-21-09 12:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD