I want to get my wife a Tour for Christmas but we are not eligible for an upgrade for a long time. So it is going to be bought full retail. Anyone have any tips or leads on the best/cheapest place to buy at retail? I'm in the San Diego area.

Was going to try Costco, Best Buy (I have a 12% coupon)... Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    12-10-09 07:00 PM
    eBay is your friend!!
    12-10-09 07:36 PM
    But it doesnt come with a warranty from ebay.
    12-10-09 08:01 PM
    no but its cheaper. You can buy one from any carrier for full retail price. Which I think is about $500 - $600
    12-10-09 09:05 PM
    Check the Market Place Forum here too.
    12-10-09 09:26 PM
    I checked out ebay. Have bought a lot of stuff there. My concern is I am on my fourth tour and don't want to buy a phone without a warranty.

I will check the market place here for sure, thanks!
    12-11-09 08:17 AM
    the tour is 489.99 retail and will come out to around $519 and some change with tax. I know because i just purchased one under 2 months ago and then returned it for the droid.
    12-11-09 08:19 AM
    the tour is 489.99 retail and will come out to around $519 and some change with tax. I know because i just purchased one under 2 months ago and then returned it for the droid.
    Thanks for the info. So if I get it at Best Buy, I should be able to save about $60 with my coupon. That might be my play.
    12-11-09 08:34 AM
    TRY THIS FIRST!!!

I was in the same situation, except i wanted the TOUR for myself. I had a BB 8330 and was not eligible for upgrade for a long time.
    I talked to BestBuy and they wanted to charge $600+ for a new TOUR out of contract.
    I decided to call a local Verizon store (not a 3rd party rep store). The manager of that store answered the phone. I told him i am not eligible for for an upgrade discount, but still wanted a Tour, so i asked him how much retail price is. He then told me, "It sounds like you lost or broke your phone to me, so we will sell one to you for $299. So come in and we will talk." SO, i go to the store, asked for him, and he took me up to the register and said to the employee, "This guy needs a Tour because he lost is previous phone, so sell it to him at the replacement cost." AND, i also got a $100 mail in rebate! 2 weeks later i got my rebate, and this is what i purchased! LOL ThinkGeek :: a320 Pocket Retro Game Emulator

I want to point out that i was expecting to pay around $500+ for my new Tour. I wasn't looking for ways to "work the system", and i did not say anything that would make him think or believe i lost or broke my phone. He is just a rad manager! I simply called the VZW store to make an honest retail price purchase.

Anyway, my point .... call your local Verizon store and explain your situation and what you want to do. They might be willing to work with you, especially when you let them know you are willing to shell out $500-$600 for a new phone. Also, ask for the manager. (c;

Good luck!
    Last edited by wryun; 12-11-09 at 10:21 AM.
    12-11-09 10:10 AM
    TRY THIS FIRST!!!

I was in the same situation, except i wanted the TOUR for myself. I had a BB 8330 and was not eligible for upgrade for a long time.
    I talked to BestBuy and they wanted to charge $600+ for a new TOUR out of contract.
    I decided to call a local Verizon store (not a 3rd party rep store). The manager of that store answered the phone. I told him i am not eligible for for an upgrade discount, but still wanted a Tour, so i asked him how much retail price is. He then told me, "It sounds like you lost or broke your phone to me, so we will sell one to you for $299. So come in and we will talk." SO, i go to the store, asked for him, and he took me up to the register and said to the employee, "This guy needs a Tour because he lost is previous phone, so sell it to him at the replacement cost." AND, i also got a $100 mail in rebate! 2 weeks later i got my rebate, and this is what i purchased! LOL ThinkGeek :: a320 Pocket Retro Game Emulator

I want to point out that i was expecting to pay around $500+ for my new Tour. I wasn't looking for ways to "work the system", and i did not say anything that would make him think or believe i lost or broke my phone. He is just a rad manager! I simply called the VZW store to make an honest retail price purchase.

Anyway, my point .... call your local Verizon store and explain your situation and what you want to do. They might be willing to work with you, especially when you let them know you are willing to shell out $500-$600 for a new phone. Also, ask for the manager. (c;

Good luck!
    That is also good advice. I will go down and talk to the Verizon store. Figured I would hit Besy Buy, Costco, and Verizon. Between those three, I will make my purchase.
    12-11-09 12:12 PM
    Let us know how it goes and what you end up doing. (c:
    12-11-09 06:42 PM
    But it doesnt come with a warranty from ebay.
    I was able to get the insurance From verizon (whatever company they use) when I bought a Curve off of Craigslist. that should cover it.

Verizon didn't care where I got the phone from. So for 5 or 6 bucks a month /60.00 per year, you're set.
    Last edited by hal1; 12-11-09 at 08:07 PM.
    12-11-09 08:02 PM
    12-11-09 08:05 PM
    TRY THIS FIRST!!!

Good luck!
    It sounds like he gave you one year sales price, which I think is a perfectly acceptable compromise, unless the person asking for it is being a ****, and realizes a favor is being done for them.

Hopefully the op heeds your advice, and is as cordial as you when you got your phone
    12-12-09 08:09 AM
    I was able to get the insurance From verizon (whatever company they use) when I bought a Curve off of Craigslist. that should cover it.

Verizon didn't care where I got the phone from. So for 5 or 6 bucks a month /60.00 per year, you're set.

I thought there was a bunch of stuff the insurance does not cover? My son uses a Voyager and I got the insurance since I knew he would be rough with it. The inside screen went out and the insurance company told me the inside screen was not covered. What kind of crud is that! So, I am a little nervous about the Craigslist and insurance route.
    12-14-09 08:37 AM
    TRY THIS FIRST!!!

Good luck!

You got what Verizon calls an alternate upgrade, which they can do (it's at the manager's discretion) when a phone is lost/stolen or damaged and the person does not have insurance. You get the 1 year contract price BUT you have to restart your 2 year contract.
    12-14-09 08:47 AM
    I thought there was a bunch of stuff the insurance does not cover? My son uses a Voyager and I got the insurance since I knew he would be rough with it. The inside screen went out and the insurance company told me the inside screen was not covered. What kind of crud is that! So, I am a little nervous about the Craigslist and insurance route.
    File the claim on line, because thats BS. The insurance covers any damage to the phone.

Welcome To Asurion's Online Resource Center
    12-14-09 09:16 AM
    You got what Verizon calls an alternate upgrade, which they can do (it's at the manager's discretion) when a phone is lost/stolen or damaged and the person does not have insurance. You get the 1 year contract price BUT you have to restart your 2 year contract.
    Contract is still the same.
    12-14-09 01:45 PM
    I went to the Verizon corporate store I always use. They did not offer me any favors, nor did I ask. $489.99 full retail price.

I went to Best Buy. $699.00 was the full retail price but said they would price match Verizon store. With my 12% off coupon, that brought the total down to a little over $430.00 before tax.

I chose to go with ebay. Found a mobile seller with great feedback claiming new (not refurbished) for $350 and free shipping.

My Verizon corporate store said they would support me with the manufacturers warranty if anything went wrong with it. I guess we will see!

Thanks everyone for your input and ideas!
    12-17-09 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD