Hi everyone! Been a long time lurker in these forums but I have a question to ask...

My husband just got a new job and the company he works for offers a 10% discount on T-mobile (which we have right now) but a 17% discount for Verizon. We are thinking of switching because for comparable features Verizon ends up being cheaper.

My question (hopefully for people who have had both) is Verizon's service really that much better? Also, are they worth paying the ETF for? Our service where we live has been pretty good and T-mobile has always been pretty helpful customer service wise. Is Verizon's customer service pretty good?

Thanks in advance for answer my questions.
    06-16-09 02:34 PM
    I have worked with both carriers befor, I think verizon has alot bigger net work, alot better customer service, and I like the fact that if you change something on your account they dont extend your contract for another year or something like that, the discount is great and I am sure that you would be happy with switching to Verizon, but thats my voice on the issue, I am sure you will find alot of people that think the same thing
    06-16-09 03:08 PM
    Generally speaking, Verizon has the best coverage throughout the US.

That being said, there is no guarantee that their service in your area is better than T-mobile's. If you decide to switch, first activate the Verizon lines to try out their service at home, work, on the road, and in the areas you generally go to. If it satisfies you, then port your T-mobile numbers over to the Verizon lines (that is if you care to keep your current numbers).

And also wait for the Tour (9630) to be released so you can get new customer pricing on them.
    06-16-09 03:34 PM
    get a vzw prepaid phone first... activate it a try it out for a while to make sure you are satisfied with vzw coverage in your area....
    06-16-09 03:38 PM
    get a vzw prepaid phone first... activate it a try it out for a while to make sure you are satisfied with vzw coverage in your area....
    why not get the post-paid and use the WFG to try it out?

prepaid ends up being way more expensive vs. postpaid if you actually use the phone at all.
    06-16-09 03:40 PM
    why not get the post-paid and use the WFG to try it out?

prepaid ends up being way more expensive vs. postpaid if you actually use the phone at all.
    Exactly. On top of the higher rates, you're buying a non-returnable device.

VZW is much faster for data & has a much larger native footprint. Customer service performance is roughly equal, as long as you stay clear of the stores, where T-Mobile wins hands down. Check coverage maps for the areas you wander in. Then find a few VZW customers & ask how their local coverage is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 03:48 PM
    I have both. I find it hard to believe that even with a discount VZW ends up being cheaper than TMO in any way but if you say so.

If you live in a major metro area or some place that TMO gets service than stay with them. The CS is hands down the best and the plans and features are A LOT cheaper. If you travel throughout the U.S. a lot VZW would be your best bet to make sure you almost always have coverage (and 3G!)

VZW does cost more and its only worth it if you really need the best 3G coverage and don't mind not having WiFi.

A perk to TMO is the WiFi is a lot of their phones allows you to make and receive calls over WiFi networks which comes in handy in places that get no signal from any carrier
    06-17-09 08:48 AM
    I have both. I find it hard to believe that even with a discount VZW ends up being cheaper than TMO in any way but if you say so.

If you live in a major metro area or some place that TMO gets service than stay with them. The CS is hands down the best and the plans and features are A LOT cheaper. If you travel throughout the U.S. a lot VZW would be your best bet to make sure you almost always have coverage (and 3G!)

VZW does cost more and its only worth it if you really need the best 3G coverage and don't mind not having WiFi.

A perk to TMO is the WiFi is a lot of their phones allows you to make and receive calls over WiFi networks which comes in handy in places that get no signal from any carrier
    VoWiFi is an extra $10/month option. If you talk alot at home its worthwhile to have, basically as a landline replacement.

As far as plans are concerned, you really need to just go price up what you'd like with each provider to see. T-mobile is only a few dollars cheaper for me, but I'd rather pay an extra couple dollars a month and have verizon's superior network. I'm no fanboi for vzw either, I've just been in many situations where I have service and my t-mobile and att friends dont.
    06-17-09 09:33 AM
    I think the general consensus here, and everywhere, is that VZW has a noticably larger network overall, and most of it is 3G. TMobile is still in the process of rolling out 3G everywhere. I have always had great success with VZW everywhere i've been.
    06-17-09 10:29 AM
    Verizon has a much larger voice and data network, I would stay with them

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD