09-08-08 01:17 PM
30 12
tools
    Hi:
    I am thinking switching to Verizon. I have a 8310 and have been with ATT for almost 9 years, that said, no I haven't had any problems with ATT and I have good reception where I live. The reasons I would like to switch are first Verizon has reception on the subway!!(ATT doesn't, for me this is very important since I'm always on the train). Second I would like to upgrade to a 8330(no I don't want the BOLD, it's huge IMO). The 8330 comes in pink and it has more flash memory!!!!
    Yep I know Verizon locks the GPS but that doesn't bother me I don't use it anyway.
    Well, these are my reasons. Should I switch? or Should I stay with ATT? I am a little bit scare! Please help me decide Thanks
    09-05-08 12:54 PM
    I lived in Arlington near the Pentagon City Metro stop for nine months while working in DC. The ability to use my Verizon BlackBerry on the Metro was very important, not to talk, but to text and occasionally to check on the next train. Before I left, I heard that WMATA was considering letting other carriers provide service in the tunnels and stations. You might want to check to see if AT&T is going to be a part of that.
    09-05-08 01:00 PM
    If I were you, I'd take a 30 day test drive, let them know that's your plan, then if you like vzw, you can port your #. During the test drive, just forward your AT&T # to your vzw phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-08 01:02 PM
    I lived in Arlington near the Pentagon City Metro stop for nine months while working in DC. The ability to use my Verizon BlackBerry on the Metro was very important, not to talk, but to text and occasionally to check on the next train. Before I left, I heard that WMATA was considering letting other carriers provide service in the tunnels and stations. You might want to check to see if AT&T is going to be a part of that.
    Thanks Jeff! I'll check that out! I didn't know that the Metro system were the ones letting carriers provide service, I just thought Verizon had more powerfull reception!!
    09-05-08 01:08 PM
    If I were you, I'd take a 30 day test drive, let them know that's your plan, then if you like vzw, you can port your #. During the test drive, just forward your AT&T # to your vzw phone.

Thanks! That was my other question! So, I can keep my number, right?
    09-05-08 01:10 PM
    Definitely do the 30 day test drive!

The Pink Curve is SO Cute-

Verizon has Amazing Reception allover the country, just not outside the country.

The only drawbacks to verizon is:

A.) Either Ugly Phones, or Nice phones that come out years after they are released.

B.) Very Little Reception out of the Country

But I use the 30 day test drive promotion whenever a VZW exclusive phone that interests me comes out. Then I always port back to AT&T after I have had my curiosity sated.

(Hehehe but thats my secret don't tell anyone)

09-05-08 01:25 PM
    I agree with taking the 30 day test drive. I recently switched from VZW to AT&T. I have no hard feelings towards VZW. I didn't have any problems with them. I had great coverage. The reason I switched was because the lack of devices. I get great coverage in my area with either so to me, AT&T had the edge because they come out with devices quicker and I been thinking about switching to a GSM carrier for a while. I love the SIM card thing at the moment.

I would say test it out for a while and see if it's better for you. We all pick specific carriers based on our needs so while one carrier is great for someone, another carrier may be a better choice for another person.
    09-05-08 01:44 PM
    Definitely do the 30 day test drive!

The Pink Curve is SO Cute-

Verizon has Amazing Reception allover the country, just not outside the country.

The only drawbacks to verizon is:

A.) Either Ugly Phones, or Nice phones that come out years after they are released.

B.) Very Little Reception out of the Country

But I use the 30 day test drive promotion whenever a VZW exclusive phone that interests me comes out. Then I always port back to AT&T after I have had my curiosity sated.

(Hehehe but thats my secret don't tell anyone)

HAHAHAHA!!!! That is too funny!
    09-05-08 01:49 PM
    I agree with taking the 30 day test drive. I recently switched from VZW to AT&T. I have no hard feelings towards VZW. I didn't have any problems with them. I had great coverage. The reason I switched was because the lack of devices. I get great coverage in my area with either so to me, AT&T had the edge because they come out with devices quicker and I been thinking about switching to a GSM carrier for a while. I love the SIM card thing at the moment.

I would say test it out for a while and see if it's better for you. We all pick specific carriers based on our needs so while one carrier is great for someone, another carrier may be a better choice for another person.
    I was actually reading something about GSM vs CDMA, to see if I could make up my mind but both have good and bad things! This is so difficult! LOL
    09-05-08 01:52 PM
    I was actually reading something about GSM vs CDMA, to see if I could make up my mind but both have good and bad things! This is so difficult! LOL
    Yeah both have their pros and cons. That's why its best to test it out. A lot people make comments about carriers and devices and have never even tried them so they make false claims or "bash" others for what they do not know. Having been with Sprint for a few years, VZW for a few years and now with AT&T I know some of the pros and cons as related to my experiences. Right now I just love the SIM card because I have ym Blackberry Curve and iphone. All I have to do is pop my SIM card out and be good to go. I really enjoy this because it allow me to have my cake and eat it to LOL. Is VZW coverage more reliable?.... Probably, but that depends on where you're at. In some areas the coverage is the same. You will find places where AT&T is better and places where VZW is better. But since you want to have coverage in places like subways, then VZW may be the best fit for you. Since I live in DE and there are no subways, to me thats not a big deal. So regardless of what others say, pick the one that is best for you.
    09-05-08 02:10 PM
    Another thing to consider is the future. I have read that as vzw begins migration to 4G (called LTE) the differences between att and vzw will be diminished. This will make way for global service and a wider range od devices since LTE is not a cdma protocol.

Rai

09-05-08 05:11 PM
    Check my sig and I just got my girl the pink curve and we have not 1 problem in San Diego CA. I can't wait until the lte comes out. I do like the fact that gsm can just switch phones on the fly, but there service is inferior.I was also told that att won't let you get insurance on your phone, I don't know if they still practice this policy but if not that's crazy to me that's a deal breaker.
    Last edited by stayfly; 09-05-08 at 05:42 PM.
    09-05-08 05:37 PM
    Check my sig and I just got my girl the pink curve and we have not 1 problem in San Diego CA. I can't wait until the lte comes out. I do like the fact that gsm can just switch phones on the fly, but there service is inferior.I was also told that att won't let you get insurance on your phone, I don't know if they still practice this policy but if not that's crazy to me that's a deal breaker.
    There service is inferior? Why do people make statements like this? What do you mean the service is inferior? It all depends on where you are located. There places all over the mid-west where verizon doesn't even get service. So would I say their service is inferior? No! So to make a broad statement like that and it seems that you have absolutely no experience since you were "told" things. I had VZW and AT&T in the same area, and haven't noticed a difference so don't make those erroneous statements.

As for the insurance thing, you're wrong about that to. You have 30 days from when you get the phone to purchase insurance on it.
    09-05-08 06:25 PM
    There service is inferior? Why do people make statements like this? What do you mean the service is inferior? It all depends on where you are located. There places all over the mid-west where verizon doesn't even get service. So would I say their service is inferior? No! So to make a broad statement like that and it seems that you have absolutely no experience since you were "told" things. I had VZW and AT&T in the same area, and haven't noticed a difference so don't make those erroneous statements.

As for the insurance thing, you're wrong about that to. You have 30 days from when you get the phone to purchase insurance on it.
    Lets just say if a certain merger goes though the mid-west is not going to weak spot anymore. , but as far as midwest is now, thats what tower agreements are for and usually phones work just fine there
    09-05-08 06:33 PM
    Lets just say if a certain merger goes though the mid-west is not going to weak spot anymore. , but as far as midwest is now, thats what tower agreements are for and usually phones work just fine there
    I know this. That is not an attack on VZW. It's just saying that nobody's service in superior everything. I'm sorry do you live everywhere in the Midwest? Don't think so. If you read other posts you will understand that it is not covered all of the Midwest yet. Once again, don't respond to me about broad statements that you have no experience about. I'm sure there are places in the Midwest where VZW gets great service. But I am also sure there are places where they don't get great service. For instance, my wife's parents live in a small suburb outside of Philly. And guess what, VZW service is not so hot out there. We have AT&T and it works great there. But where my parent's live its the opposite. So don't tell me where it "usually" works. I had VZW for 2 years and service was superb, but I'm smart enough to realize that there are strengths and weaknesses to every company. Being as though, I was with TMO, SPRINT, VZW and now AT&T, I can speak accurately about my experience in the areas I have traveled. And as far as I am concerned VZW is not the strongest everywhere and neither is AT&T.
    09-05-08 06:53 PM
    Thanks for your input guys. So, I went to a Verizon Store and I have to say it, they treated me so well and explained everything to me. The customer service lady was so knowledgable and friendly that I almost make the switch. LOL. In terms of minutes/data plans I would pay the same I'm paying with ATT, so that is good.
    I think I'm going back tomorrow to try the 30 days test period. Wish me luck!
    09-06-08 01:30 AM
    Going to Verizon will be the best move you ever make.
    09-06-08 04:10 AM
    Going to Verizon will be the best move you ever make.

x2....i have to agree
    09-06-08 04:17 AM
    Verizon hooked me up with my Curve free of charge after my treo755p had to be soft reset about 4 times a day,no questions asked other than basic info.Just got my wife the pink curve and she loves it.
    09-06-08 06:27 AM
    I'm switching to Verizon also. I've only heard the best about the company. Great customer service and they actually attempt to fix a problem instead of just telling you indirectly deal with it. Had a BAD marriage with Nextel/Sprint. Can't wait
    09-06-08 06:33 AM
    what help me make up my mind was that verizon was 3G and all the GSM curve where not and i live in Ohio in a Little place called Nichelisville so not much wifi so the 3G was very impotent to me so if you like faster web then i would say verizon wold be a good choice but every one is right about taking the test drive and then make a choice
    09-06-08 11:32 AM
    i've had t-mobile and at&t.

verizon, imo, has the best coverage and customer service.
    09-06-08 11:41 AM
    My friends and I have had our share of wireless providers:

AT&T (b4 Cingular merger, did not go back after that merger)
    Voice Stream (b4 Tmobile merger and after and back again)
    Sprint (b4 Nextel merger, staid after Nextel for a little while)
    VZW(I left them once and will never to that again!!!!)

I even know someone who worked for Worldcom Wireless (now that's going wwwayyy back). Now there's a class action suit for the books. Or maybe what should be taught in a Business 101 course on how not to screw your customers out of thou's of dollars.

So. Nuff xpernce 4 ya.

Go into the VZW lite and never leave!!!
    09-06-08 11:32 PM
    I think I'm going back tomorrow to try the 30 days test period. Wish me luck!
    I'll wish you luck, however, I don't think you'll need it. I switched from AT&T a few months ago, due to indoor coverage issues, and I never looked back....
    09-06-08 11:43 PM
    i have verizon and att and verizon rocks
    09-07-08 12:08 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD