I have been starting to have some very minor issues with my Pearl, nothing major that a soft reset wont fix, and it's gotten to where the usb plug is touchy when charging and connecting to my laptop.

I'm toying with the idea of a new pearl, as I can get one free as an upgrade, or whether I should wait till Aug 2 (NE2 date) and get a Storm.

I really love my Pearl, it's been trouble free for a year and a half and I like the small form factor. I carry it in an Otterbox case and it's GREAT!

My questions would be this: Have most of the issues with the Storms been worked out? How much will a Storm cost with a full NE2 discount? Is it going to be worth the wait?
    04-25-09 06:50 AM
    IF you are going to wait till aug, hopefully the niagara/tour will be out. Pearl will soon be reitred and the flip pearl will coming out. If you need a device now, I would take a serious look at the curve. Not that much bigger than pearl and has a full qwerty KB
    04-25-09 07:30 AM
    The storm is not for everyone, the on screen keyboard takes some getting used to. The SureType and full qwerty choice is nice and I use both often. You will find the storm SureType keys a tad bigger and easier to use than the pearl's one. Manufacturing issues have improved so you are less likely to get one with a bad click or bad seal (dust issue). Software is still an issue as verizon has not issued an update yet HOWEVER those of us here use the leaks or other providers versions and we are MUCH happier with the software. We can and will help you update the software if you go for it. I think the best advice is to go to the store and play with it, then decide, also give the keyboard s chance since there IS a learning curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 07:33 AM
    Dont use the phones at the store to make your decision. They are very slow and in desperate need of a reboot. If you know someone with a Storm that would be a much better example.

Dont stick with the Pearl. I had one as my first BlackBerry. And thou I really liked it when I had it, after switching to the Storm I am WAY more impressed with BB's. Plus the small device made my hands hurt by holding it and typing.

just my opinion.
    04-25-09 07:39 AM
    The pearl while it is a VERY solid BB is a bit dated and an updated (cooler in my humble -me humble???- opinion) pearl flip is coming soon. And as the little devil pointed out the curve 8330 is another good option, although an updated BB of that general size is coming too called the 9630 (rumor has it its official name will be Tour). You have some good options coming soon.

04-25-09 08:10 AM
    Thanks Guys, guess I'll hang tough for a bit then
    04-27-09 04:25 AM
    BTW- Anyone know the cost on a Strom after the NE2 discount?
    04-27-09 04:29 AM
    $99.00! Im picking mine up on the 4th!!!!

WAHOO!!!!
    04-27-09 05:52 AM
    I have been starting to have some very minor issues with my Pearl, nothing major that a soft reset wont fix, and it's gotten to where the usb plug is touchy when charging and connecting to my laptop.

I'm toying with the idea of a new pearl, as I can get one free as an upgrade, or whether I should wait till Aug 2 (NE2 date) and get a Storm.

I really love my Pearl, it's been trouble free for a year and a half and I like the small form factor. I carry it in an Otterbox case and it's GREAT!

My questions would be this: Have most of the issues with the Storms been worked out? How much will a Storm cost with a full NE2 discount? Is it going to be worth the wait?
    meh... get a replacement for the $50 and hang out for your NE2... prices might be way better and as EVERYONE is saying... the Niagra MIGHT be there.
    04-27-09 07:30 AM
    I'm wrestling with the same decision. I just switched jobs and they won't activate my existing Pearl on the corporate BES. So I can go with either a Storm or a Pearl. I am used to the Pearl and type complete a relatively long emails without even looking at the device. My primary needs are email and calendering with some web browsing while I commute. I don't want a full size BB.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
    04-27-09 09:42 AM
    Here is my $.02, me and my wife have tried the Storm since the release date.....so it's safe to say a fair chance was given. The Storm does have some neat qualities, but they are far out weighed by the aggravating factors. I would recommend looking into the Curve to hold you over until something better comes along. You will like it so much more than the Pearl, I have been down that road as well. To answer the original question, the Pearl is much better than the Storm in my opinion. (just went back to the Curve this week)
    04-27-09 11:25 AM
    Try out the storm. See how you like the keyboard. It's not for everyone, especially not heavy emailers.

I wouldn't get a curve or a pearl though. Don't take that the wrong way, they are lovely devices, just quite dated. With the pearl flip eventually coming to VZW and the Niagara on its way in 3-4 months (supposedly), I would just wait for one of them if the storm isn't your forte. That is just my personal opinion though, everyone is different.
    04-27-09 11:31 AM
    Not everyone likes or wants a flip. I wouldn't. One of the reasons I went with the pearl was because of the size and it wasn't an ugly flip.

I too won't get a storm because touch screen is not for me nor is is for everyone.

If you are use to pearl and not wanting to go to a curve, get another pearl. Just remember we have the least memory, but it is workable.

04-27-09 11:40 AM
    Thanks for the advice & info! Guess, for now, ill wait and see what comes down the pike. Figure I'll mess with a Storm a little more, watch the forums, and if nothing new comes along, ill decide between another Pearl and Storm later......

04-28-09 06:56 PM
    Keep in mind, too, about the Storm's touch screen. It is not bad to navigate through applications, or even play games... typing is a bit awkward when you are used to a qwerty kb from the enV2. Easy solution to anyone wanting the extra benefits of the Storm (better media capabilities, better sound quality, larger screen, more "fun" to use... etc.) but can't get used to typing on the screen.... just go out and get a bluetooth keyboard. they are available in sizes even smaller than my enV2 was, soon as my finances are straightened out, I know I am getting one. I keep getting my screen too dirty for my likings when I type, but have been working outside all day.
    04-29-09 11:57 PM
    quick add: your NE2 amount could be $50 or $100. Take whichever amount you qualify off the the 2yr contract price of $199.99 +tax
    04-29-09 11:58 PM
    The Storms screen is huge, nice for web browsing and videos, but as a rule the Storm takes some getting used to and you have to treat it gently at times and with patience ( kinda like a woman lol ). I enjoy mine quite a bit and other times I'm sick of it. I'm just trying to hang on till the 9630 shows up.
    04-30-09 12:11 AM
    to be able to kill my lunch breaks watching Spaceballs or Transformers in full VGA resolution, and bluetooth stereo sound though... not many other devices can touch that. I do need to put a rush on my bluetooth keyboard though. Got bit by a spider today and my knuckle looks like a golf ball now... can't type at all now. lol
    04-30-09 12:41 AM
    The curve has much better sound with mp3s than the storm. Texting and emailing are better on the curve. The good point about the storm is the browser. Navigation on the curve is superior to the curve. The curve is alittle outdated but works amazing well. I got the curve after having the storm for 5 months. I can see that I could have this phone longer than 2 years. If I get the storm you will want to throw it out the window! I wrote this on my curve in 3 min. Let's see if the storm can handle this pace with out lagging.

05-04-09 03:13 PM
    Wait. Wait at least until second storm comes out...never get the first of anything. I have the Pearl and am waiting to see what happens with Storm and probably get second gen...unless a completely different phone comes out. The reason I bought the pearl was size primarily. It fits in carpenter pants pocket and it made sense to me. Looking back, I probably should have gotten a bigger BB w/ full QWERTY keyboard and a tried and true model instead of the Pearl. Pearl caused some frustrations and I have to re-boot it about every week or so just to keep it working up to speed. Overall a decent phone, but again I would wait.
    05-04-09 07:27 PM
    My opinions in order
    1.)Curve
    2.)Pearl
    3.)Not the storm untill they do some serious updates.
    05-04-09 07:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD