Hey Verizon users! I would be grateful for any help choosing the best combo of phone and plan for my wife and me!

We're currently on Verizon, she is the main subscriber with big-business discount and a Motorola pink Razr. I am the second line with a Motorola V325i. We have 1400 or 1500 minutes, no text, nothing else, for about $108/month with tax. We are both eligible for new phones, it's been 2 years.

I am planning on getting either a Curve or a Storm. I like the Curve for the size and physical KB, but I would like the Storm for the bigger, higher-resolution screen. Use will be for business e-mail coming from multiple accounts (personal, not exchange server), web browsing, PIM/calendar/time management, and of course, phone. Right now I am leaning strongly towards the Storm.

She wants a smart phone so she can enjoy its features. But doesn't *need* a BB.

Can anyone suggest the best solution for us?
    - Two Storms would be $60/month just in BlackBerry fees, right?
    - But if she got a non-BB smart phone, wouldn't we be in it for $30 for my BB and $20 for her data plan, i.e. only a $10 difference?
    - What about texting plans to add to this?
    - Is there a great Verizon smart phone other than BB models that are free/cheap?
    - Where is the sweet spot in this, if any?
    Last edited by johnnylighton; 11-10-08 at 06:08 PM.
    11-10-08 06:01 PM
    Hey Verizon users! I would be grateful for any help choosing the best combo of phone and plan for my wife and me!

We're currently on Verizon, she is the main subscriber with big-business discount and a Motorola pink Razr. I am the second line with a Motorola V325i. We have 1400 or 1500 minutes, no text, nothing else, for about $108/month with tax. We are both eligible for new phones, it's been 2 years.

I am planning on getting either a Curve or a Storm. I like the Curve for the size and physical KB, but I would like the Storm for the bigger, higher-resolution screen. Use will be for business e-mail coming from multiple accounts (personal, not exchange server), web browsing, PIM/calendar/time management, and of course, phone. Right now I am leaning strongly towards the Storm.

She wants a smart phone so she can enjoy its features. But doesn't *need* a BB.

Can anyone suggest the best solution for us?
    - Two Storms would be $60/month just in BlackBerry fees, right?
    - But if she got a non-BB smart phone, wouldn't we be in it for $30 for my BB and $20 for her data plan, i.e. only a $10 difference?
    - What about texting plans to add to this?
    - Is there a great Verizon smart phone other than BB models that are free/cheap?
    - Where is the sweet spot in this, if any?
    1.)BB data Unlimited is $30/phone/month (before any discounts; Unlimited data is recommended, so you don't ever have to worry about overages)

2.)I think there was a recent change where all VZW data plans for smartphones are now $30/month. Call VZW to be sure

3.)I doubt anyone on this forum will admit to anything that's better than a BB; I have used WinMo, PDA's in the past, and thought they were really horrible. I hated every version of WinMo, it was to complex to be easy to use, but that's just me.

4.) Dependent upon how much texting you are talking about, could greatly vary your plan or add-ons. If you wanted unlimited texting, it would make more sense to go with the Nationwide Select Family Plan at the 1400 minutes level. This would run $120 for two lines, and then add your data onto that, so $180 full price for the two of you. This would include unlimited text messaging both phones, to any US carrier network. I don't know how you are calculating minutes, but if you have lots of friends/family/business contacts on Verizon, you might use less minutes, since all on network (IN calling; calls between two Verizon Cell Phones) are free.

-OR-

If you think your texting would be limited, it might be more feasible to get Basic Family Plan. 1400 minutes on this one would run $90. Then add your data, so $150, and then if you wanted to add text messages, I think 250 messages is $5/phone/month. So you might come out cheaper that way. Oh yeah, its gonna be a bit more than this with Universal Service Charges, Taxes, and E911 charges. Same fees apply to above plan. Same IN Calling on above listing applies to this one as well.

Finally, yes, as stupid as it sounds, it is actually cheaper to call your spouse on her cell phone, even when she is home. I had to teach my wife this, since IN calling is free, and calling a home landline phone uses minutes.

Good Luck with your decision, let me know if you need any more thoughts, or have more questions.
    Last edited by fyrfyter; 11-10-08 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Change a few things
    11-10-08 06:41 PM
    Thank you so much fyrfyter for your extremely helpful response!

It looks like we're on the hook for $160/month + taxes&fees if we get two BBs ($90 + 10 for 250 texts for both phones + 60 for BB unlimited data for both phones). I wish it were cheaper, such as $99 for unlimited everything for the first phone, plus something reasonable for the second. At 1400 minutes, sometimes we will go over. But it seems like this is the best way to go with Verizon, which we are committed to due to friends and family also on Verizon.

I will post again with any follow-up questions after I talk to Verizon.
    Last edited by johnnylighton; 11-10-08 at 07:06 PM.
    11-10-08 07:03 PM
    The Premium plan indicates it includes browser and mobile email. Since the first two lines come with the Premium plan on a family plan is this the same as the 'data plan' for a berry??
    11-10-08 09:12 PM
    Premium plans are not compatable with a berry. They need tobe on a select plan with a data plan. If you have one berry and two regular phones, the regular phones can go to premium, yes a mix and match.
    11-10-08 09:24 PM
    got it, so a berry would go with select for unltd text, then add the $30 berry package? does this allow access to just pop / imap email and not a corp servier or is it for everything?

if you get discounts does it apply to the berry $30 package?
    11-10-08 09:33 PM
    Let's say we both get Storms. If there is one main subscriber and one second line, and the price for a Storm with a 2-year contract renewal is $199, what would the price be for the second Storm? Also $199?
    11-10-08 09:57 PM
    It should be $199 as well, but you won't get a NE2 credit on the second line. The $30 package is for BIS-only and not BES. I know that on my corporate discount, it applies to the data plan as well as the voice plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-08 02:38 AM
    typically most discounts nowadays have a "call plan" discount and a "special feature" discount. For instance, I get 15% off my monthly text/phone package, then another 20% off of my $30 Blackberry package. it saves me about $20 a month, not too shabby
    11-12-08 06:56 PM
    Thanks. But they told me today that we get 19% off our calling plans only. So there will be nothing taken off the $60 for the two BB plans.
    11-13-08 04:06 PM
    the select plan is unlimited text so deduct that text charge.
    11-13-08 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD