01-10-10 05:11 PM
32 12
tools
    I cant seem to get a clear answer from anyone amy local store or from customer serveice about instant messages (Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger, etc.)...are they billed as text messages or included in my data plan?

Ive heard that they are data and not charged for and also that they count as text messages...does anyone know for sure?
    08-21-09 06:58 PM
    I cant seem to get a clear answer from anyone amy local store or from customer serveice about instant messages (Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger, etc.)...are they billed as text messages or included in my data plan?

Ive heard that they are data and not charged for and also that they count as text messages...does anyone know for sure?
    I was told that they were billed as texts IF you use the stand alone app to message, for example yahoo messenger. IF you log on to the yahoo website and message that way with yahoo messenger, then they are billed as data. I was told this by three separate reps so I am just relaying what they told me.
    08-21-09 07:05 PM
    They are data, whether you use the app on your phone or through the browser. I have used IM+ for over year and never had any IM's billed as texts
    08-21-09 07:11 PM
    All of the IMs are data services, SMS is a separate charge altogether. IM to your heart's content. The reps were practicing RCI. You don't have to log into anywhere else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 07:12 PM
    The only time it would apply as SMS is if you were using a BREW like app on a dumbphone.
    08-21-09 07:15 PM
    I heard it really depended on the type of iming device you were using. Well I guess i'm just mkaing the confusion even greater, You're very welcome
    08-21-09 07:15 PM
    It doesn't matter. It is data, plain and simple. You are on Verizon, and you don't have to worry about how much data you use unless you are streaming radio 24/7/365 and tethering.
    08-21-09 07:37 PM
    from my experience...on my enV...i was charged for IMs on aim, yahoo, and msn...

on any of the smartphones ive never seen any text messaging charges...

if you do download the aim msn yahoo app from verizon...it does say standard text messaging rates apply... but i think that application sucks compared to the actual individual ones...i only use yahoo so i just downloaded that one...now if i had to use all three IM programs and was concerned about memory maybe i would consider the vzw one...
    08-21-09 07:51 PM
    If you use the Mobile IM client to access AOL, Yahoo, or Windows Live messenger, it is billed as text. If you download it from App World, it is not.
    I have all of those apps and I downloaded them from the sites. Never been to App World and don't intend to. None of them run through text. Only regular phones and some advanced devices use text.

08-21-09 09:44 PM
    no....

if you download the Mobile IM client...its billed as text...
    08-21-09 10:04 PM
    If you do a search you will find a few discussions about this. I've read them and still don't have a definite answer so I never downloaded them. If anyone gets a definite answer, I would love to know too.

08-21-09 11:53 PM
    From the sites, from App world, same program. But if you download Mobile IM from VZW, it is billed as text. I don't know how many times this has to be said.

Its as simple as that! App world individual programs, data. VZW home app that looks cheezy and has all 3 IMers in one screen, text!
    08-22-09 09:50 AM
    Its as simple as that! App world individual programs, data. VZW home app that looks cheezy and has all 3 IMers in one screen, text!
    not to mention the fact that after u shut off your blackberry and turn it back on whenever..it still shows that youre signed in yet the contact list wont update so u have to restart the app...

but again...like i said before...if i did have a need to be running the 3 IM programs at once and was concerned about memory id prolly be using that...
    08-22-09 10:30 AM
    It doesn't matter. It is data, plain and simple. You are on Verizon, and you don't have to worry about how much data you use unless you are streaming radio 24/7/365 and tethering.
    remember, its not that clear cut. Pay attention to what was said previously about which apps to use. 2nd, you don't have to worry about data charges if you are streaming radio either. Tetherberry is the only one to watch out for.
    08-22-09 12:08 PM
    Good grief, its data people. IM's apps are data on smartphones. Brew based devices are usually dumbphones, thats why they were billed as texts on those devices.
    08-22-09 12:16 PM
    Think about it this way, BBM uses data, otherwise you couldnt message someone halfway across the globe without accumulating international texting rates. Its the same with Yahoo! Messenger, AIM, Google Talk, etc. They use data on Blackberrys, plain and simple.
    08-22-09 12:21 PM
    Good grief, its data people. IM's apps are data on smartphones. Brew based devices are usually dumbphones, thats why they were billed as texts on those devices.
    Think about it this way, BBM uses data, otherwise you couldnt message someone halfway across the globe without accumulating international texting rates. Its the same with Yahoo! Messenger, AIM, Google Talk, etc. They use data on Blackberrys, plain and simple.
    AGAIN!

If you don't know, don't drop the wrong info! VZW's native app are marked as TEXT! This is regardless of smartphone or dumb phone! I tried to keep it "non confusing!' The app that uses all 3 in one screen is the VZ native app! Nuf said!!!
    08-22-09 12:21 PM
    AGAIN!

If you don't know, don't drop the wrong info! VZW's native app are marked as TEXT! This is regardless of smartphone or dumb phone! I tried to keep it "non confusing!' The app that uses all 3 in one screen is the VZ native app! Nuf said!!!
    I do know, I am 110% positive that its data. YOU stop dropping the wrong info. Besides Im not talking about the 3 in one screen.
    08-22-09 12:26 PM
    I do know, I am 110% positive that its data. YOU stop dropping the wrong info. Besides Im not talking about the 3 in one screen.
    your not talking about the 3 in one screen? So now ask yourself.... is this 3 in one screen that your "not" talking about ..... an app? Is it available for blackberry? So when you come to the conclusion of "why yes it is," then we can finally agree and become friends again! Good day
    08-22-09 12:34 PM

we've already determained this question in a previous thread I believe... I'll look it up again...

-There is no charge for the application; however, MB charges apply during the download process.
    -Customers are charged for TXT (SMS) messages sent and received by the application. Customers can tell when a Mobile Originated message is being sent because the screen displays: Sending Request.
    -TXT Messages are charged according to the customer's calling plan.
    -If the customer has subscribed to a separate TXT Messaging bundled plan, that plan's messaging allowance and overage rates applies.
    -If the customer does not subscribe to a TXT Messaging bundle, they are billed at standard text messaging rates to send and receive a message.
    -VZW Mobile IM Client is not supported on the BlackBerry Storm. Any usage of the Mobile IM Solutions on the Storm will be billed as Megabyte usage.
    08-22-09 12:39 PM
    RicanMedic, relax. This is just a discussion not a war. From what I can gather, there is no general consensus on whether IM's use data or SMS.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/the...et-i-m-289448/

Re: IM apps and data plan - Apple - Wireless Forums from AT&T

G1 IM Clients use SMS, not data! - Android - FriendFeed

I just conducted a test with Yahoo Messenger on my Tour. I wasnt signed in to Yahoo Messenger, so I turned off data and tried to sign in to Yahoo Messenger and it wouldnt let me. I turned data back on and it let me sign in, I then turned data back off and Yahoo did not sign me back out. It appeared that I was still connected, however, I tried to send a message and it looked like it had sent it, but it didnt get to my wife's BB until I turned data back on.
    Last edited by cenloe; 08-22-09 at 12:56 PM.
    08-22-09 12:53 PM
    RicanMedic, relax. This is just a discussion not a war. From what I can gather, there is no general consensus on whether IM's use data or SMS.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/the...et-i-m-289448/

Re: IM apps and data plan - Apple - Wireless Forums from AT&T

G1 IM Clients use SMS, not data! - Android - FriendFeed

I just conducted a test with Yahoo Messenger on my Tour. I wasnt signed in to Yahoo Messenger, so I turned off data and tried to sign in to Yahoo Messenger and it wouldnt let me. I turned data back on and it let me sign in, I then turned data back off and Yahoo did not sign me back out. It appeared that I was still connected, however, I tried to send a message and it looked like it had sent it, but it didnt get to my wife's BB until I turned data back on.
    no worries...
    08-22-09 01:00 PM
    no worries...
    Right on

If you click on the G1 link I posted above, there is a post describing how these IM clients use data but also do count as an SMS! What kind of sh!t is that? Isnt that double billing?? Its amazing that none of us have have raised a stink about it before.
    08-22-09 01:11 PM
    It isn't double billing if data is unlimited. If the IM client you're using routes through SMS, it is billed as SMS. If it routes it through data, it is data.

08-22-09 01:24 PM
    Yes, it is data, so how can I get it to route as data? Getting charged SMS fees. Or which IM clients routes through data?

01-09-10 10:12 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD