okay, here's the scoop.

Me: Have Curve 8330; Eligible to upgrade anytime (do not have insurance)

Wife: Has Chocolate; Eligible to upgade anytime (has insurance). I would be upgrading her account to the data plan.

Accounts seperate.

I'm looking for the best way to upgrade both of our phones, extend our contracts, and save (if possible) an upgrade for future use. I was thinking of combining both accounts to the family plan, and we get the buy 1 get 1 free ($50 total). But then we'd lose the ability to have an additional upgrade. Another option would be to get my wife a new phone (oops, her phone broke, she has insurance - she still has to pay like $50), but where would that get me? Any thoughts on how to do this the smart way?
    04-26-10 01:22 PM
    Umm...so you want new phones for both lines without using both upgrades?
    04-26-10 01:32 PM
    Umm...so you want new phones for both lines without using both upgrades?
    I would gladly use an upgrade, but there's got to be some sort of musical chairs i can do w/ my current situation in order to save one upgrade for future use.
    04-26-10 01:35 PM
    1.If you used the buy one get one, then both upgrades would be taken.
    2. If you did an insurance claim on your wife's phone, then she would get the exact same phone again.
    3. You could add another line to save an upgrade. But, you can always add a line in the future if you need an upgrade.

If you want two new phones there is no "musical chairs" you can do to save a upgrade. Two phones will require two upgrades.
    04-26-10 01:53 PM
    I would gladly use an upgrade, but there's got to be some sort of musical chairs i can do w/ my current situation in order to save one upgrade for future use.
    A stated by ridesno159, you can add a line now or later. The other way to get 2 new phones and save one upgrade is buy one phone at the upgrade price and but the other full retail, then you have an upgrade for later. There is no musical chairs, you use the upgrade or pay full price for the phone.
    04-26-10 02:14 PM
    An annual upgrade might be able to help you in 1 year. Combine the lines, use the 2 upgrades, get the BOGO, take the 2 contracts. Get on a plan with a base fee of 79.95 a month or more (correct me if I'm wrong Mario), and BE on it for the last 3 months before the 1 year is up, and then you can take advantage of an annual upgrade for a one time 20 dollar fee and restart your 2 year contract at the 2 year contract pricing. (upgrade pricing, but no NE2, but you DO get any rebates)

EDIT: Don't do the insurance thing it's just not worth it.
    04-26-10 02:39 PM
    Once you combine acct, you may loose one upgrade. AOL will cause one line to upgrade to be extended out by 20 months. Think long and careful about it. You would do better than upgrade separately, pay for both devices, then combine. Just remember, when you combine make sure the line you move has either extended warranty or total equip coverage. Once the device moves from one acct number to the next, they manu warranty is voided.
    04-27-10 02:07 AM
    You will lose both upgrades, no way to play musical chairs with two upgrades and only two lines.
    04-28-10 10:02 AM
    Not really any way to combine accounts and still end up having an upgrade for later. No matter how you do it there is no way to upgrade now and still be available to upgrade later, unless you do the early/annual upgrade. If I remember correctly you will have to pay a $20 fee and your discount wont be nearly as good.

You could just upgrade both lines, then combine them into one account. If you really need an upgrade in a year do it the way I described or add another line onto the family account for another $10 a month.
    04-28-10 10:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD