06-15-09 12:05 PM
27 12
tools
    Hey,
    So i am looking for some advice from maybe a rep or someone experienced. I am from Canada but work out in the US 5 days a week, my company gives a blackberry with data but since i'm here so much i thought i would get a Verizon phone just so i don't have to worry about roaming charges. I bought a Pearl off of craigslist just because i like texting on that and because i don't want to carry two chargers around and when i went into the Verizon store they said i need to activate a data plan in order to use the Pearl.
    I was told something diff. when i called before i purchased the Pearl so i'm stuck with a phone i can't use; any advice on this? Has anyone gone through this before?
    Thanks a lot everyone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-09 08:54 AM
    call up a verizon rep and have them put a data block on your phone......
    You can receive sms/ txt's but not mms picture messages.

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A BLACKBERRY ON VZW'S NETWORK WITH OUT DATA PLAN. PERIOD, NO WAY AROUND IT, NO BLOCKING THIS AND THAT, JUST PERIOD. IF YOU HAVE A BLACKBERRY AND YOU WANT VZW, DATA PLAN NO WAY AROUND.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 06-15-09 at 11:51 AM. Reason: edit size
    06-15-09 09:08 AM
    Um your wrong because sis in law has it.
    Thank you very much.
    You get a bb plan when you sign up.
    then you tell them you want to block the data.
    It is possible.

and Blow it out your *ss.
    but your still playing for data you still have to...hold on want you to see this... HAVE TO have either the 29.99 or 44.99 plan on your bb, period...you can block it but your paying for it still, which doesnt make sense so...whatever, unless she has a phone that is not a BB that is from 2yrs or more ago.
    Last edited by jnepsa; 06-15-09 at 11:50 AM.
    06-15-09 09:15 AM
    Um your wrong because sis in law has it.
    Thank you very much.
    You get a bb plan when you sign up.
    then you tell them you want to block the data.
    It is possible.

Real professional response there. Really showing your maturity.
    So before you make blanket statements or want to quote posts, etc. maybe there are people out there who have had it done.
    I know people who have done it.
    They have called and spoken to level 2 tech support and had it blocked.
    nice edit there. and they lied to them... period. if you have a BB on vzw's network. you are paying for either BIS or BES not questions asked. We have been over this probably 3 or 400 times.
    06-15-09 09:16 AM
    and can we at least keep this civil?

for the benefit of the original poster?

If I am wrong I am wrong, but this was done this past winter no problem.
    They set her up with a dummy email address, etc.
    06-15-09 09:21 AM
    you can get pay as you go too....they do offer that in certain situations.

and there still is the 24.95 10mb plan as well out there.
    ... This is verizon we are talking about... there is only one plan for BB and you can not pay as you go with BB
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 06-15-09 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Pesonal attack
    06-15-09 09:23 AM
    DUDE you are HIGH. This is verizon we are talking about... there is only one plan for BB and you can not pay as you go with BB

I am mistaken. Pay as you go is available for wm devices...
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 06-15-09 at 11:29 AM. Reason: response
    06-15-09 09:25 AM
    and can we at least keep this civil?

for the benefit of the original poster?

If I am wrong I am wrong, but this was done this past winter no problem.
    They set her up with a dummy email address, etc.
    and she is still paying for the 29.99 BIS promise you. And if you want this to be civil quit posting things you think you know because you hear from this person or that person and thats how it is. Because its not.

OP read this

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/faq...e-read-238075/

tony u should read as well
    06-15-09 09:28 AM
    and she is still paying for the 29.99 BIS promise you. And if you want this to be civil quit posting things you think you know because you hear from this person or that person and thats how it is. Because its not.

OP read this

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/faq...e-read-238075/

tony u should read as well
    The link you posted is helpful
    Last edited by Tony Bag O Donuts; 06-15-09 at 11:56 AM.
    06-15-09 09:29 AM
    And just a quick off topic side note...misinformation is what makes this site so hard to search, and why we end up with so many of the same threads that have been answered. If you dont know for sure and have to just have to say something say"hold on let me go grab a mod" or " give me a few to google or search for the correct answer" dont post anything that you havent experianced personally. he said she said is always a fake
    06-15-09 09:30 AM
    Calling people Jack*ss? thats being polite?
    lol Im done... you just talk in circles.

OP- that link is very informative. If you read it and still have troubles PM me or, post here again and I will try to come back and check it later
    06-15-09 09:41 AM
    THEN STOP SAYING IT CAN BE DONE. did you call for her or did she call? If she called, and you werent on the phone, then its second hand so just stop.

OP if that doesnt help PM me and I will get you some more info
    How can i reach you?

06-15-09 09:47 AM
    How can i reach you?

click on the user's name and there is the option to send her a pm through this site.
    Last edited by Tony Bag O Donuts; 06-15-09 at 12:02 PM.
    06-15-09 09:49 AM

Hey,
    Listen buddy, i come on this site for support, answers to my question and maybe some insider advice not to get partinized over stupid questions. I am not from the US, jsut work here 4 days a week and why would i think that VZW requires a data plan, all the other companies don't. If you want to offer advice i think everyone here would appreciate it, if you want to be a smart guy and just patrinize everyone then you know what, don't say anything.
    I'm sorry, i just think the purpose of these forums is for people to help one another and i don't think you're helping anyone here.

06-15-09 09:58 AM
    Hey,
    Listen buddy, i come on this site for support, answers to my question and maybe some insider advice not to get partinized over stupid questions. I am not from the US, jsut work here 4 days a week and why would i think that VZW requires a data plan, all the other companies don't. If you want to offer advice i think everyone here would appreciate it, if you want to be a smart guy and just patrinize everyone then you know what, don't say anything.
    I'm sorry, i just think the purpose of these forums is for people to help one another and i don't think you're helping anyone here.

That was not in reply to what you said mecoo, it was the 2nd post that caused that. Your OP was an actual question that you needed help with, I was not in any way patronizing you for your queston
    06-15-09 10:03 AM
    my apologies saw the picture with your kid and thought that was you.
    That's why I edited the post early because I said bud and didn't want to be insulting.

I think we can both agree though that if you call a cs ten times you will get 9 different answers and it could be about anything, not just the data issue.
    06-15-09 10:04 AM
    To answer all your questions... VZW does require Data plan with Blackberry service.. But you can also do what I did which is buy a blackberry from internet and connect it through your phone to activate. Just DO NOT USE ANY DATA and etc. I didn't get charged for Blackberry data for 6 months for my curve til I bought the storm.
    06-15-09 10:11 AM
    To answer all your questions... VZW does require Data plan with Blackberry service.. But you can also do what I did which is buy a blackberry from internet and connect it through your phone to activate. Just DO NOT USE ANY DATA and etc. I didn't get charged for Blackberry data for 6 months for my curve til I bought the storm.
    I was thinking that might be an option; but VZW CS was telling me this morning that the way blackberrys are set up on their network is that data gets sync'd every 15 min, you know anything about this?
    Thanks a lot for your help.

06-15-09 10:37 AM
    I was thinking that might be an option; but VZW CS was telling me this morning that the way blackberrys are set up on their network is that data gets sync'd every 15 min, you know anything about this?
    Thanks a lot for your help.

only if linked to a bis account. Just watch if you do it this way because as soon as it connects for data its all over, You really cant do this because of the stipulations but every once in a while it does go through, you can try but dont be suprised to see your bill.
    06-15-09 10:45 AM
    only if linked to a bis account. Just watch if you do it this way because as soon as it connects for data its all over, You really cant do this because of the stipulations but every once in a while it does go through, you can try but dont be suprised to see your bill.
    Hey,
    You're right, too much risk for it, ideally i just want to get rid of the phone and buy another one; does anyone know if you can unlock a VZW phone and if so how it works?
    Thanks a lot for your response.

06-15-09 10:47 AM
    Hey,
    You're right, too much risk for it, ideally i just want to get rid of the phone and buy another one; does anyone know if you can unlock a VZW phone and if so how it works?
    Thanks a lot for your response.

most vzw phones are unlocked. If you are looking for jsut a phone to text and talk on I would suggest either a prepay or just a basic phone on a 2yr contract for down here. Up to you
    06-15-09 10:58 AM
    when you buy a used phone make sure that the esn number (located under the battery) is clean.
    If you are buying from ebay, ask the seller for the # and call verizon to verify that it is a clean esn and not a "stolen" phone that someone is trying to sell.
    06-15-09 11:00 AM
    Thank you both for providing content for the OP to consider.

However, did you have to waste nearly 2 pages of bickering to get there?

If you two wish to reconsider your argument, and take it on yourself to clean up the thread, I will not file a member note.

My apologies to OP and I hope you have received the information you were seeking.
    06-15-09 11:39 AM
    Thank you both for providing content for the OP to consider.

However, did you have to waste nearly 2 pages of bickering to get there?

If you two wish to reconsider your argument, and take it on yourself to clean up the thread, I will not file a member note.

My apologies to OP and I hope you have received the information you were seeking.
    deleted most of my posts, just an fyi, I did use the report button for misinformation earlier, and nothing was done but its clean now,.
    06-15-09 11:54 AM
    Thank you both for recognizing and dealing with the argument. We all have moments when something doesn't sit right and ...

In my original post, I mistakenly replied that one of the members involved had reported this thread. In fact, it was a third party that is not involved in this thread.

06-15-09 12:01 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD