A few months ago I was visiting my friend's college and found a BB curve, so I took it home and borrowed a friends charger to find the owner... It ended up being a little princess who's daddy already bought her a new one so she told me I could keep it and activate it and I never heard from her again.

I'm going to Spain this summer and really want a BB, but can't afford to buy one so I'd like to activate this one somehow. The problem is that when I called Verizon to ask about the ESN it was reported lost, so I don't want to go in there and have them think my story is BS. I don't even have this girl's # anymore to ask her to call them, so I don't know what to do... I know there has to be a way to make this work. PLEASE HELP!!!!
    04-14-09 12:32 PM
    There is no way to activate this device. The ESN is locked until the original owner calls in to clear the device
    04-14-09 12:41 PM
    As far as my searching this site's memory serves me, the esn in spain is the least of your problems. If it is the 83xx series phone, you won't be able to use it there. I may be wrong, but even if I am, good luck getting a "stolen" phone activated. Just do like I did and buy a phone on craigslist. Get a 88xx series phone that will work overseas. They're going for around $100 used. Just activate it before you pay for it to make sure you don't run into the esn problem again.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

04-14-09 12:41 PM
    All of the above is correct.

Owner must clear.

VZW 8330 won't work in Spain.

04-14-09 12:45 PM
    Hmm, not too much you can do here. You do know that you'd have to add a data plan to your VZW account for an additional $30/mo, right?

I would say if you can't afford a blackberry itself, you probably can't afford an additional $30/mo either, but that's just me...
    04-14-09 12:46 PM
    That is true too, LDubs. Price of the phone is cheap compared to the monthly data fee.

Good point.

04-14-09 12:49 PM
    try not stealing phones instead.
    04-14-09 04:08 PM
    Why couldn't you just do the same proceedures to contact the girl you did when you found the bb...?

04-14-09 04:33 PM
    Or call one of the contacts in the phone and ask to have the girl call you, don't ask for her number u could get the cops called

04-14-09 05:14 PM
    If the original owner reported the phone as lost ot stolen to get a new one under insurance, then wouldn't it always be treated as lost or stolen?

And wouldn't you be the prime suspect in the theft investigation?

You can't afford a phone, but can you afford a lawyer?

Maybe you should leave for Spain ASAP.
    04-14-09 05:30 PM
    You could always just not steal phones.
    04-14-09 06:12 PM
    THOU SHALT NOT STEAL!!!

04-14-09 06:37 PM
    If the original owner reported the phone as lost ot stolen to get a new one under insurance, then wouldn't it always be treated as lost or stolen?

And wouldn't you be the prime suspect in the theft investigation?

Even if she were to clear the ESN, insurance is going to want to be paid back. Assuming she got a new one via insurance.

Just forget about the one you "found" and get a free one with contract at newegg.com.
    04-14-09 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD