I ran into a problem on my 4.3OS 8130 after going through the upgrade process. The installation went fine but I did not get audible voice directions. After looking through the forum I started from scratch. I removed VZW Nav program from the applications list, removed the battery to reset, cleared the browser cache (twice), reset, then downloaded 4.0 again. The installation went as before and seemed to work, all data voices images were downloaded and I did a reset again. Program works, finds GPS location and calulates directions but, still no audible voices.

I have checked the preferences to make sure the volume setting is on high.
    I am able to hear music through the unit speaker and use the speakerphone when testing without Nav running.

I did not have this problem with Version 2.9 and would try to go back to it but can't find it via download anymore.

Anyone else run into this? Any help to solve this is appreciated.

Thanks!
    09-22-08 05:18 PM
    Are you getting getting tone prompts instead?
    09-22-08 07:12 PM
    Also, make sure your phone isn't on a silent profile. I have to take my pearl off vibrate to get voice prompts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-08 07:37 PM
    Thanks for your replies...I am not getting tones and have tried changing the type of navigation response with no luck. I also double checked to make sure I wasn't on silent or vibrate as my profile. Again no luck

On my third install cycle ....
    09-22-08 10:45 PM
    If you are not able to resolve this, I would call VZW tech support so your conern can be noted. As this is new software, this help if this is unforscene problem. Without your input, updates/patches cannot be generated. You have done everything that a rep would have asked you to do.

If anyone elase has experiened this situation, PM me with you ESN number and I will fill out problem report which goes to network. They will investigate with RIM and the software writer as required. This report requires 3 ESN numbers for network to accept it.
    Last edited by lastraid; 09-22-08 at 11:09 PM.
    09-22-08 11:07 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I spent about an hour on the phone today with tech support. They were very professional and courteous. After working through settings and confirming a few things they had to go to a data consultant. They made a recommendation to go back to release 4.22 of the device OS as it is the standard release noted for support of Navigator. I am happy to downgrade if that solves the problem but before I dedicate time to that task... anyone running Navigator 4.1.0 under Pearl device OS 4.3 successfully?
    09-23-08 12:29 PM
    UPDATE

While working with the Verizon rep over the phone we looked at the application permissions. While we were there I noticed that there is a setting for Media Access (defaults to Deny) under the Interactions setting (defaults to Custom). While on the call the rep did not have me change any of these persmissions as they are the default under the installation (at least on mine).

After ending the call, I went back into permissions and changed the settings for the Interactions section from Custom to Allow. I now get audible voices. Hopefully this doesn't break anything else in the application.

Still running OS 4.3

I will be testing this now as I have a trip out of town this weekend.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

If I run into problems as a result of the change I will post my experience.

Special thanks to all that offered suggestions and advice.
    09-23-08 01:08 PM
    UPDATE

While working with the Verizon rep over the phone we looked at the application permissions. While we were there I noticed that there is a setting for Media Access (defaults to Deny) under the Interactions setting (defaults to Custom). While on the call the rep did not have me change any of these persmissions as they are the default under the installation (at least on mine).

After ending the call, I went back into permissions and changed the settings for the Interactions section from Custom to Allow. I now get audible voices. Hopefully this doesn't break anything else in the application.

Still running OS 4.3

Anyone have luck with it on the curve? I can't get it to work... Haven't tried tech yet bc I'm a vzw employee and emp. Team is only open until 5 BLAH!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 09:33 PM
    v4.1 works fine on my Curve, but I really wish it put the voice prompts into my BT headset! 2.9.9 didn't either so I can only assume it's a BlackBerry problem, since my other VZW phones do it.
    09-24-08 04:00 AM
    4.1 tried on my curve. works well. but not worth the money... Another program I would not mind trying..... but not vz nav...
    09-24-08 09:29 AM
    go to VZStart on your phone
    09-26-08 08:18 PM
    Anytime
    09-26-08 09:02 PM
    UPDATE

Still running OS 4.3

I found out about the permissions by accident, but the female voices all sound the same....
    09-29-08 05:46 AM
    UPDATE

Still running OS 4.3

Thank you for sharing this! I just upgraded VZN yesterday and tried everything I knew to do......was ready to break down and go into a VZW store for help....ick.

O/S 4.3.0.60 here.
    10-01-08 10:44 AM
    No problem, I have been a stealth member of this forum for some time (hadn't registered) and found tons of helpful stuff. Good to know something I posted helped.

FYI - I used Nav4.1 with no trouble on a recent trip to MO. Saved my bacon a few times when lost :-)

Saw your post on application switching from Nav to other Apps using button assignments...nifty idea...thanks!

10-01-08 04:21 PM
    UPDATE

Still running OS 4.3

Thank you! I was having the same problem and this fixed it! I wish I had read this post yesterday before I gave up and erased it and re-downloaded. I lost all of my saved addresses, but at least it works now! Thanks again for the info.!
    10-14-08 03:01 PM
    UPDATE

Still running OS 4.3

Thanks for posting this, I was quickly able to clear up the same problem on my wife's Pearl after we did the upgrade!
    10-15-08 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD