I know the GPS deal has been kicked so much there is not much left of the carcass.
    Regardless I thought you all may like to hear the latest misinformation that Verizons own experts told me on a support call.
    Upon making a call regarding VZ Nav 4.1 starting on its own While working with the tech to delete, reload and reprogram the phone I asked (again) if 3rd party app would work. To my surprise the rep said YES now that 4.1 has been released the phone has been programmed to have the GPS open. Read on
    So I figured what the heck lets find something that is BlackBerry GPS enabled and downloaded Car Finder as a test. As suspected NO THE GPS DOES NOT appear for this app. I could have saved myself some time since BB Maps does not work either.
    At times Verizons own people are their worst enemy spreading misinformation like this that drives all nuts.
    So the bottom line is the GPS is VZWs for NAV only and you will like that
    10-09-08 08:10 AM
    I know the GPS deal has been kicked so much there is not much left of the carcass.
    Regardless I thought you all may like to hear the latest misinformation that Verizons own experts told me on a support call.
    Upon making a call regarding VZ Nav 4.1 starting on its own While working with the tech to delete, reload and reprogram the phone I asked (again) if 3rd party app would work. To my surprise the rep said YES now that 4.1 has been released the phone has been programmed to have the GPS open. Read on
    So I figured what the heck lets find something that is BlackBerry GPS enabled and downloaded Car Finder as a test. As suspected NO THE GPS DOES NOT appear for this app. I could have saved myself some time since BB Maps does not work either.
    At times Verizons own people are their worst enemy spreading misinformation like this that drives all nuts.
    So the bottom line is the GPS is VZWs for NAV only and you will like that
    I have vz nav on my 8830 for turn by turn, but I also have google maps to view the physical location of wherever I need directions to. If you have vz nav active, you should be able to utilize most compatible third party apps for gps.
    10-09-08 04:27 PM
    I have vz nav on my 8830 for turn by turn, but I also have google maps to view the physical location of wherever I need directions to. If you have vz nav active, you should be able to utilize most compatible third party apps for gps.
    That is a myth. Whether or not VZNav is active, you can not use a third part app to find your location using the built-in GPS. Google maps triangulates your position using cell towers. Out in rural areas, even suburbs like me, it may not get a good position. I only have one VZW cell tower near me and it always shows my position about 1.5 miles from where I am located, even with VZNav running.
    10-13-08 10:08 AM
    I agree, this is a myth that leaving VZNAV open will allow access to the GPS. It's really a VPS (Verizon Positioning System)
    10-13-08 12:40 PM
    Keep VZNav on the "Follow Me Map" and it'll work. But you have to start the other app AFTER you set VZNav to follow.
    10-13-08 04:58 PM
    Why does everyone complain about vz nav? I think it works fine, Ive tried some of the free gps on my old curve from at&t but i found them to be a lil more glitchy. maybe im just not that smart but I would rather have vz nav.
    10-13-08 05:30 PM
    I like VZ Nav as well, oh well how silly of me to ask the rep on the phone about other gps stuff in the 1st place
    10-14-08 07:54 AM
    Why does everyone complain about vz nav? I think it works fine, Ive tried some of the free gps on my old curve from at&t but i found them to be a lil more glitchy. maybe im just not that smart but I would rather have vz nav.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you nailed it. Some of us would rather have the option to use other software because we can utilize other more "techie" software better. I don't need a piece of software to hold my hand... This is why VZW sells the service every month to people. They don't know how to find or use other options. So, VZW capitalizes on your shortcomings, but unfortunately cripples my abilities as well.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 10-14-08 at 08:18 AM.
    10-14-08 08:16 AM
    Keep VZNav on the "Follow Me Map" and it'll work. But you have to start the other app AFTER you set VZNav to follow.
    Does this work regardless of OS version? Are there any other required enabling conditions, other than the "Follow Me Map" mode?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-08 08:39 AM
    Nope just start vznav put it in follow me map snd then open your gps program of choice

10-14-08 09:18 AM
    Nope just start vznav put it in follow me map snd then open your gps program of choice

i have tried this and it does not work for me. i have OS 4.3.
    10-14-08 09:24 AM
    i have tried this and it does not work for me. i have OS 4.3.
    What program did you try? You can't use Blackberry Maps. The version that VZW loads on your BB does not have the GPS plugin to tie into the onboard one. You need a version that can do this or use another program. Sometimes Google Maps (depending on version) doesn't work either.
    10-14-08 09:30 AM
    What program did you try? You can't use Blackberry Maps. The version that VZW loads on your BB does not have the GPS plugin to tie into the onboard one. You need a version that can do this or use another program. Sometimes Google Maps (depending on version) doesn't work either.
    Google Maps and Live Search. Should i try something else? i'd love for it to work!
    10-14-08 09:33 AM
    Are you guys sure that this uption of opening vznav and using follow me and then opening another GPS app isn't limited to the 8830? Because I have tried this numerous times on my 8130 and it has not worked.

10-14-08 09:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD