Anyone know what's up with Blackberrys and VZ's Nationwide Plus Canada plan?

I've been with VZ for a couple years now, and am actually still on the old America's Choice II Canada plan. I absolutely love it. I live in the U.S. but probably spend 5-6 weeks per year in Canada and call Canada almost daily. While in Canada I make calls / text people all over Canada/USA and am never charged anything. My bill is always the exact same to the penny. I have been using some old LG clamshell, and have had data turned off since I got it (but I have also subscribed to VZ Navigator which I use a fair bit - fun fact: if you're in the US, you can type in a Canadian address into VZ Navigator, like an airport code, and it will give you a route to your Canadian destination; once you cross the border, if you don't deviate from your route, the GPS will continue to give you turn by turn directions, but once you deviate, it will fail to download new maps for recalculation and will crash). But I digress..

I want to keep my plan, but want to get the Tour. I know I'll have to add the $29.99 data plan. My question is, will I also get free data roaming for Canada? From the VZ page for the plan, it's not even clear that voice roaming is included, and yet I'm never charged for voice or text roaming in Canada. Basically Canada just gets treated as "domestic" on the plan. Can anyone confirm for BB data? If so I'll sign up tomorrow.

If data roaming is not included, then I think the lack of wifi on the Tour might be a deal breaker for me.
    07-27-09 01:44 AM
    The 29.99 data plan does not include roaming in Canada.
    07-27-09 02:30 AM
    No, as of now domestic for data only includes the U.S. Texting however is now free in canada.
    07-27-09 04:18 AM
    Since when are texts free in Canada? I am currently in Saskatchewan and they are still charging me extra for texts here o_0

to the OP, you have to get the international data plan, which is 69.99, unless you get the calling plan as well, then its 64.99.
    07-27-09 10:17 PM
    Are y'all sure that texting in Canada is included?

I'm with AT&T now, and ready to switch to VZW, but I spend significant portions of the year in Canada, and the deal breaker would be free texting in Canada.
    08-01-09 12:59 AM
    Oh I'm glad to have stumbled upon this thread. I just registered on this site in order to post my question. I'm hoping someone here can decipher in layman's terms the e-mail I got from Verizon. First, a little background. I also have the America's Choice II + Canada plan which is perfect for me since I split my time between Canada and the U.S. No roaming charges and I pay $59.59/per month for 450 peak mins. plus I pay $2.99/month extra for 100 text messages. My contract is almost up and I'd like to upgrade to a Blackberry which means of course I'll need a data plan. Here is the pricing Verizon e-mailed to me:

While in Canada your email and web would be billed at $ 0.002/KB. There is a Global Email Plan that you are able to use which will allow you to have unlimited email and web access while roaming. This plan is billed monthly at $ 64.99 or prorated at $ 2.17/day for the amount of days you have the feature active.

Okay, $64.99/month just for the data portion of my bill is way too much for me. But I don't understand what $ 0.002/KB means. I understand it's a measure of data received, but it's still like a foreign language to me. And before I get myself sucked into another two year contract, I'd love to get a better understanding of what kind of bill I can expect to receive if I go ahead with this voice + data plan.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this a little!
    08-02-09 02:03 PM
    You still pay your regular US data plan, but you pay an additional $0.002 for every kb you use while in Canada. Do your texts work in Canada, or are they billed extra?
    08-03-09 01:27 AM
    My text messaging works in Canada and I don't pay any extra for it (than I pay in the U.S). I guess what I was trying to say in my earlier post is that I can't understand what $0.002 per KB translates to on an actual bill. I usually receive about 15-25 short e-mails per day. All text, hardly ever any attachments. I wish I knew what an average day like that would cost with that $0.002 per KB equation. Yes, it's plainly true that math and computer lingo are not my strong suits. I just don't want to be in for any horrible surprises if I go ahead and bought a blackberry and signed up for this data plan. Especially since when I'm in Canada there are no Verizon wireless stores!

Thanks again!
    08-03-09 02:41 PM
    If you have a text plan and you're in canada it comes out of your allotment. If you don't have a text plan and you're in canada it's $.20/message.

So yes, free texting in Canada
    08-03-09 03:44 PM
    Hmmm... I don't think I'm being clear. I never meant to introduce text messaging into this conversation. I'm not asking about text messaging but rather a data plan for a blackberry that I am considering buying. In other words a data plan for e-mail. Sorry if I wasn't more clear in my earlier posts!
    08-03-09 03:55 PM
    You would get charged $.002/kb like previously mentioned. It's hard to say how much that would be because if you get an email with lots of attachments that could be like 3-4MB.

I mean it really depends.
    08-03-09 04:04 PM
    I'd say a standard text only (no HTML) email would be 5-10 KB. So you're probably looking at roughly $0.50/day, with no attachments, and no web browsing. But, if an HTML email or attachment comes along, you're SOL at the cost of $2.05/MB - one single large email, such as an ad from a clothing store could cost you $6-10. Hope that helps, and thanks for the texting answer.
    08-03-09 05:16 PM
    Yes, thank you. That was exactly the kind of response I was hoping for spelled out for my not so computer savvy brain. Hmm I dont see an economical solution in my future. What a shame! Looks like my blackberry envy will continue at this rate. Thanks again.
    08-03-09 06:07 PM
    Make sure you take into consideration the fact that while in the U.S., you can keep you $30/mo data plan, and then when you travel to Canada, get the prorated GlobalEmail plan - for just over $2/day, you get unlimited data in Canada. Just switch it back to the $30/mo when you get back stateside. For a 1 week trip per month, it's only $180/yr extra.
    08-04-09 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD