I remeber reading something about it somewhere, but cannot find it again. I did notice that If I choose a Nationwide Email 450 (being the obvious choice as it includes data), I get 450min and unlimited data for $79.99/month. But wait, if I choose the Nationwide Basic 450 plan($39.99/month), and then later on check the box for "Email and Web for BlackBerry" ($29.99/month) it comes to a total of $69.98/month. What does the extra $10.01/month buy you with the Nationwide Email plan? Or is it just one of their gimmicks to get more money out of you by seeing the combined plan and hoping you don't notice the option you can add on to the regular one for cheaper?

I'm currently chatting with a rep online and she is avoiding the question saying that "Email and Web for Blackberry" is not compatible with Blackberries...
    06-12-08 06:16 PM
    I always wondered the same thing.
    06-12-08 06:32 PM
    So after waiting forever and a day on hold, being transfered who knows how many times to go higher up in their customer service department, what I was told was that they both give you 450 minutes/month (or the respective amount if you choose more), and they both give unlimited data. So what's the extra $10.01/month for? Well being new to BB's, I had to do a bit of research (on the UK site, seeing as the US one was down) to find out that it seems to pay for access to what's known as BES, Blackberry Enterprise Server, which is a feature that should only be of interest to BB owners who use their device for business. So for everyone who uses their BB for personal use, We can choose the Nationwide Basic plans, then choose the "Email and Web for Blackberry" option. Not anywhere near a clear distinction in anything I've found except waiting forever on hold.

So, from what I was told and what it comes down to, the Nationwide Email plans are for Business customers to sync with BES, while those seeking to use their BB for personal use can choose the Nationwide Basic plans and add the option for "Email and Web for Blackberry" to save $10 a month, or they can fall victim to Verizon's little scheme and pay $10 extra a month, for nothing. (EDIT: I wasn't quite right (no surprise to me as a BB noob) but Evalast AV further clarified the difference, so make sure to check out his post below.)
    Last edited by pyroguysf; 06-12-08 at 07:53 PM.
    06-12-08 07:06 PM
    You need to loosen your tin foil hat.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-08 07:15 PM
    Keep in mind that BIS users can still use their devices for business; My company doesn't have an enterprise server, so I am on the $29.99 plan, but definetly using the BB for business!
    Last edited by Evalast AV; 06-12-08 at 07:45 PM.
    06-12-08 07:36 PM
    You need to loosen your tin foil hat.

Not really. For the most part, everyone using a higher end device on Verizon's network knows that they do pretty much everything they can to squeeze every penny out of you (i.e. crippling devices so you pay $xx more for their service, great example is the 8330's GPS, only VZNav can use it, and while you may think I'm overreacting about their scheme if that is in fact what you're doing, I'm really not. The way their ordering is laid out online, as well as most rep's I've chatted with (not just this issue, but many over the years) try to get you to pay for stuff you're not going to need, for their profit. Most people at first glance would pick the Nationwide Email and get stuck paying $10 extra for nothing if they didn't realize that you could add unlimited data to the Basic plan for cheaper.

As I said, I'm new to BB's so thank you, Evalast AV, for clarifying that.
    06-12-08 07:51 PM
    No problem, and welcome to crackberry!
    06-12-08 07:53 PM
    No really, loosen the hat.

The Nationwide email plans came out months (probably a year if you count the "Choice" plans available previously) before the $29.99 email plan became available. Why should they change the plans they already have to accommodate a new feature?

When going through the checkout, you're on the "Basic" page to start with, not "Verizon's little scheme and pay $10 extra a month, for nothing".
    06-12-08 08:37 PM
    The bundled BB Plans from VZW include the BES/BIS option, not just BIS. As you discovered, that's the slight price difference.
    06-12-08 08:52 PM
    OK so the Email plan was out first. They've changed the plans they have before to accommodate new features cause they're made me change to a newer plan before, why not now then? And sure you start out with Basic- and it says you pay $1.99 per MB of data, so you compare all plans and pick email cause it has unlimited.
    06-12-08 08:54 PM
    The bundled BB Plans from VZW include the BES/BIS option, not just BIS. As you discovered, that's the slight price difference.
    Which was my original point, and once again thanks to Evalast AV for finishing the clarification. There's no tin foil hats. Everyone I know, even some who work for VZW, agree that Verizon is by far the worst mobile provider when it comes to getting you to pay extra, but that's a whole different topic anyways. It was merely a suggestion based on the information I had at the time, including the Verizon rep who agreed that they keep it there cause it makes them more money when people who are none the wiser choose it when they don't need to.
    Last edited by pyroguysf; 06-12-08 at 08:59 PM.
    06-12-08 08:57 PM
    So the select plans are a ploy to make more money too and trick people into buying unlimited?
    06-12-08 10:55 PM
    I wouldn't know. I'm not familiar with their select plans and don't plan to be. This thread's purpose was fulfilled- finding out the difference between the 2 options. Go make a "Verizon loves its customers and gives them great plan options" thread, and I'll see if it catches my interest. Might help others switch to Verizon.
    06-12-08 11:05 PM
    i pay 99.99 for 450min, data & unlimited txt.....
    so far so good for me...
    06-12-08 11:23 PM
    I wouldn't know. I'm not familiar with their select plans and don't plan to be.
    "I choose to be ignorant" is a terrible way to go through life. Too bad.
    06-12-08 11:25 PM
    Um, the $10 would be for texting. That's extra.

06-13-08 12:14 AM
    Select Plans offer unlimited texting to every carrier. You can add a $20.00 text plan that gives you 5000 texts or you can add $20.00 to your rate plan and get unlimited. If you're on a family share plan, the select plan is great, $30.00 more everyone on the family share gets unlimited text.

And yes, we have customers that come in and use 7000 txts a month.

C
    06-13-08 08:57 AM
    Point is the VZW pricing for Blackberry on their website is quite confusing to the uninitiated and someone might get "duped" into paying for services they dont need or could get at a lesser rate.
    06-13-08 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD