So my wife isn't really into technology. She has had her same LG chocolate 2 for better than 3 years now, and it has seen better days. I've tried convincing her to get a berry or android device, but she doesn't want to hear it. She just wants a simple "dumb" phone. She doesn't want to pay the $30 a month for a smartphone, or the $10 for the html phones. I guess what I'm asking is if anyone can recommend a phone for her that vzw has right now that would include no data package? We looked at them in the store last week and they all feel so cheap. There was 1 that was built like a tank, but that's not really her style either. Any suggestions??? I know it seems ridiculous, but she just refuses to use her phone for anything but texting and calls. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by happyjacked; 06-10-10 at 01:21 AM.
    06-10-10 01:18 AM
    I would like to know this too... My wifes the same way. She had an old HTC phone and got frustrated with using it, now she also has a crappy plain old phone.

I'm trying to convince her with the new HTCs by telling her they're easier to use now a days. BBs are too complicated for her. She buys phones based on color..it has too be pink or purple.

Go with the HTC.
    06-10-10 01:29 AM
    I was going to recommend the Samsung Alias 2, but it requires the $9.99 data plan...ugh! Too bad because I had the original ALias and it was a great phone that took massive beatings for two years before I retired it (and it's still good).

Looking at the phones that don't require data plans is really depressing. I really don't know what to recommend other than I've had good luck in the past with Samsung, LG, and Nokia. If that helps any?
    06-10-10 02:28 AM
    feature phone sections on VZW.com will help you.
    06-10-10 02:43 AM
    For calls and texts and no data plan, check out the LG Cosmos.
    06-10-10 02:51 AM
    I agree with either the LG Cosmos or you can check out the Samsung Intensity. My buddy has one and likes it.

06-10-10 08:19 AM
    If she's not picky about having a new or state of the art phone, you could always look to see if anyone is selling a new or 'like new' EnV2 on eBay or something. That was and still is a great phone, and if you activate it Verizon won't require the $9.99 data plan. It'll still cost you probably ~$150, but better than paying $240 for a data plan she wont use, and its a solid phone with one of the better keyboards.
    06-10-10 08:55 AM
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. The lg cosmos was the phone that she liked the most when we looked at them, but I just thought it felt kind of cheap. I guess the cheap phone that she has now has lasted 3 years though, so maybe she'll be alright. As for the idea about the EnV2, not a bad idea, but that was actually the last phone that I had and 3 days after my manufacturers warranty was up the inside screen totally fried and wouldn't work at all. That makes me a little gun-shy with that phone, and with LG overall, but we'll probably end up getting her the cosmos. If anyone else has any other recommendations I will be happy to listen. Thanks.

06-10-10 09:54 AM
    LG makes great phones. I have always been pleased with battery life. It will feel on the cheaper side, but it is supposed to be a cheaper phone.
    06-10-10 10:00 AM
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. The lg cosmos was the phone that she liked the most when we looked at them, but I just thought it felt kind of cheap. I guess the cheap phone that she has now has lasted 3 years though, so maybe she'll be alright. As for the idea about the EnV2, not a bad idea, but that was actually the last phone that I had and 3 days after my manufacturers warranty was up the inside screen totally fried and wouldn't work at all. That makes me a little gun-shy with that phone, and with LG overall, but we'll probably end up getting her the cosmos. If anyone else has any other recommendations I will be happy to listen. Thanks.

Yeah, all of the "feature" phones are pretty cheap. Someone on my plan has run into the same issue...can't upgrade because they won't use data and VZW is forcing the $10 plan.

You could try the Cosmos or what I would do, as mentioned above, get an ENV2 on eBay. Great phone and doesn't give in to the VZW policy.
    06-10-10 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD