03-17-10 11:58 PM
168 ... 4567
tools
    Cricket has wireless too and it is a lower price I think 45. I have a couple of friends who have it and say it is decent. You could check the coverage areas in the states you travel and perhaps that would work for you so you can have wireless but at a better price.
    I think USCellular's usb modem plan is $40 a month for 5gb. I looked at Cricket's maps and you might be lucky to get it in a major metro area but good luck outside of that.

USC's 3g map isn't the greatest yet either but standard data looks like it's most everywhere.

Sorry not trying to convert anyone to another carrier but find this discussion interesting.
    01-11-10 05:27 PM
    No this quote was.
    Right. Which is what I explained in the full text of the snippet you just quoted:
    No, VZW doesn't allow you to tether for free regardless of whether you are connecting via bluetooth or usb cable. That's not what I was saying here.

You'd have to read the comment of the person I was replying to in order to understand what I was saying. The poster said that since it was easier to use the app, Tether, to connect via bluetooth than it was using VZW's app, VZAM, that he thought it was worth the $50 price just for that alone. I disagreed.

What may have confused you here is that I said VZAM is free. Well, it is free, to download and install, but tethering through it, whether via usb or bluetooth, is $30/mo. Is that what you were confused about?
    As I said, you are misunderstanding me. Please note that I was responding to something someone said. So in order to understand what I said, you first have to read what they said. You were misinterpreting it to mean that you are charged for usb but not for bluetooth, and I said nothing of the sort. I don't know how I can clarify this any further. I've tried every way I can think of and it seems that it's not working. Just a lack of communication I guess.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 05:31 PM
    No I got it. I was reading the whole thread but at different times thru the day. No biggie.
    01-11-10 05:35 PM
    Data is not a finite resource. Unlike water, you can always make more bits. This is why I find data caps ridiculous.
    But you can only fit so much water down the pipe at one time.
    01-11-10 07:52 PM
    All the ethical crap aside. it's a way for them to get more coin.
    Text messages are another example. Text goes on an out of band control channel that must be there. It's a must have channel for the phone to work.
    Stuff 160 characters in it and they want $.10-20. Pure profit.
    I do recall when Verizon didn't charge for incoming texts.

I'll tether all I want.
    01-12-10 01:51 PM
    I admire your principles, and share your frustration. Tether is 50% off, and I sit here struggling over whether to buy. Do I risk getting caught by VZW, and do I want to feel like a pirate by using it? Grrrrr. Good post. Cheers.
    01-15-10 12:51 PM
    Huh. So much for keeping it short. Man, can I be a long-winded gasbag or what?!
    Me too! It's a curse.
    01-15-10 12:57 PM
    I admire your principles, and share your frustration. Tether is 50% off, and I sit here struggling over whether to buy. Do I risk getting caught by VZW, and do I want to feel like a pirate by using it? Grrrrr. Good post. Cheers.
    Verizon sells Tether. If they don't want you to use it, they can stop selling it. If you use it to excess, they can bill you for excessive use. I don't see the ethical quandary.

01-15-10 04:11 PM
    Verizon sells Tether. If they don't want you to use it, they can stop selling it. If you use it to excess, they can bill you for excessive use.

I don't see the ethical quandary.

Nor do I, which is precisely why, in light of the information that has been unearthed in this thread, I purchased Tether with a clear conscience.

Yes, I did it

Be nice.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-15-10 at 04:50 PM.
    01-15-10 04:21 PM
    Nor do I, which is precisely why, in light of the information that has been unearthed in this thread, I purchased Tether with a clear conscience.

Yes, I did it

Be nice.

There is no quandry, if you get billed by the megabyte you pay. What quandry?

On another note, I may get tether only to ease my pain and suffering when I do try and connect.
    01-15-10 04:59 PM
    Verizon sells Tether. If they don't want you to use it, they can stop selling it. If you use it to excess, they can bill you for excessive use. I don't see the ethical quandary.

Where does Verizon sell tether?
    01-15-10 05:02 PM
    Where does Verizon sell tether?
    I'll answer that after you read the entire thread. But then I won't need to answer it because you'll have the answer to your question

01-15-10 05:10 PM
    I'll answer that after you read the entire thread. But then I won't need to answer it because you'll have the answer to your question

I'm not going to read ten pages, but if you consider BB App world that Verizon is selling it you are incorrect.
    01-15-10 05:12 PM
    I'm not going to read ten pages, but if you consider BB App world that Verizon is selling it you are incorrect.
    It's quite apparent that you haven't read it all. I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm tired of repeating the same thing over and over to people who don't have the time to read the thread. You don't have time to read the thread, and I don't have time to argue with someone who won't read it.

However, as stated NUMEROUS times, we're not talking about BB App World.

01-15-10 05:18 PM
    I understand the difference between BlackBerry App World and Verizon's online store. I also understand you not wanting to read 10 pages. The screen shots are posted more than once in this thread already, so I won't post them again, but you can find them quickly by scanning without having to read every word.

01-15-10 05:20 PM
    Well, of all the states you travel through, which one do you prefer serving time in???

Just don't over do the tethering.

Yes, I did it

Be nice.

01-15-10 05:22 PM
    Weekendbum:

Summary, if you follow Verizon's home page for the BB, it will have an icon to get apps. Thence you follow it to (darn, I can't recall), but then to Most popular and Tether(berry) was listed in number 2 slot. So, no it is NOT BB's app store but Verizon's weblink that takes you there - and yes, we all now know that that shop is run by Handango but Verizon is prominently displayed.
    01-15-10 05:27 PM
    Weekendbum:

Summary, if you follow Verizon's home page for the BB, it will have an icon to get apps. Thence you follow it to (darn, I can't recall), but then to Most popular and Tether(berry) was listed in number 2 slot. So, no it is NOT BB's app store but Verizon's weblink that takes you there - and yes, we all now know that that shop is run by Handango but Verizon is prominently displayed.

That's interesting. Thanks for the summary, I am on a very limited connection w/ significant restrictions (images do not display). I will have to look into it, thanks for explaining.
    01-15-10 05:29 PM
    Well, of all the states you travel through, which one do you prefer serving time in???

Just don't over do the tethering.
    Lol, I'll keep that in mind.

01-15-10 05:41 PM
    That's interesting. Thanks for the summary, I am on a very limited connection w/ significant restrictions (images do not display). I will have to look into it, thanks for explaining.
    Since you are on a limited connection, I looked it up. Here's a repost:

Tether - VZW App Store

This link can be found by going to VZStart (start.vzw.com) from your BB browser ,which is VZW's official mobile site, click on the green icon that says, "Get Apps," then click on "Get Apps for Fun & Work", click on "Best Sellers", then "Tether for Blackberry".

Since you haven't read the entire thread, just a head's up that we've already completely hashed out the whole, "yeah, but that's Handango's site" thing.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-15-10 at 06:12 PM.
    01-15-10 05:54 PM
    Pandora and Slacker are technically not streaming music apps. They cache a song on your phone then stop accessing data. Iheartradio is probably streaming but I've never used it. Not sure what BIS services you seem to think are streaming.

Your not very familiar with Slacker if you think that it only caches stations, Yes you can cache the station and when connected to you pc that's connected to your broadband connection it will dl the content to the media card so you can use it as a media player, like transferring your own music to the card, with that said however, you have the option to cache the stations, if you don't then it will STREAM them, thus using the data.

Check out their forums if you don't believe, been using this since last March
    01-28-10 08:04 AM
    Your not very familiar with Slacker if you think that it only caches stations, Yes you can cache the station and when connected to you pc that's connected to your broadband connection it will dl the content to the media card so you can use it as a media player, like transferring your own music to the card, with that said however, you have the option to cache the stations, if you don't then it will STREAM them, thus using the data.

Check out their forums if you don't believe, been using this since last March

EXACTLY! not to mention the obvious fact that pandora doesnt cache ANY stations... 100% streaming!
    01-28-10 08:14 AM
    Well, lets stop and look here... doesnt the new version of DTM have an IP modem link to use for tethering????
    DTM is a RIM product. hmm... ya think?
    And there is a clear disclaimer stating that charges may apply.
    Funny thing is when I called into tech support the guy openly admitted that I most likely would not see charges for using this method of tethering but recommended adding the tethering feature.
    01-28-10 08:28 AM
    I think the moral of the story is "use it, don't abuse it."
    01-28-10 08:34 AM
    Exactly

10 chars
    01-28-10 08:39 AM
168 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD