03-17-10 11:58 PM
168 ... 23456 ...
tools
    So the question I have plain and simple...can I tether without having that extra monthly fee on my acct by using tetherberry?
    Yes you can, BUT, remember it is against the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when signing up for your Blackberry Web/Email plan with Verizon. So if they suddenly decide to audit your usage and find that you are tethering, you will likely receive a sizable bill. So if this happens you really can't complain. If you don't go over 5gb a month they will quite likely never know, but if you continually hit close to 5gb they may take a closer look. I use my Storm to stream music daily as well as email and internet usage and rarely go over 2gb a month.
    01-10-10 08:46 PM
    The phone manufacturers have no bearing on what the carriers allow or disallow in their Terms and Conditions.
    01-10-10 08:48 PM
    It amazes me that if you pay them $30/mo to tether, their app that does it, VZAM, is free, yet they also promote Tether for $50. Now they know that nobody is stupid enough to buy something that they offer for free.

What kind of a message does this send? I don't know about anyone else, but the message that it sends me is that I have a choice to either go monthly for $30/mo or pay a one-time fee of $50 and forgo the monthly fee.

The other message that it sends is that they have revised their TOS prohibition on tethering with 3rd party apps, since they sell it on their own website, and just haven't gotten around to posting the revision.

That's all that we're left with. What else are we supposed to think? I think I am close to becoming ethically justified in using Tether in light of all the information that has come out in this thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Tetherberry makes connection by bluetooth easier than it normally would, as I understand it. I used VZAM to connect via Bluetooth but it took a lot of time to figure out how to do it.

Somehow I always knew one needed an additional feature to tether. I don't understand how it could be confusing. The fact the VZW sells Tetherberry, which I wasn't aware of, didn't make me think for a second one didn't need a tethering plan.
    01-10-10 08:49 PM
    I'm on WAP, so I can't see who your provider is, but the short answer is yes, if you don't go crazy with your bandwidth usage. The app, Tether, allows you to do this without paying a monthly fee.

There are many other ways to tether besides this app. You can even download VZAM and start using it. The apps do not know if you have the tethering feature enabled. They blindly dial 777 using phonenumber@vzw3g.com as the user.

I have a bluetooth adapter from iogear v6 of the software supports tethering, you do not need to buy software to tether.
    01-10-10 08:54 PM
    Yep. That was first posted here by the thread's OP, michikade. It is an interesting read.

01-10-10 08:56 PM
    I've never had a verizon phone plan but I did have the laptop usb modem and 5g a month plan. I never even came close to using 5g and that was using it every day to surf, have yahoo messenger open, aim, and couple java chat programs........ along with my antivirus updating and this was fro 8 hours a day.

I got rid of the usb modem and went with my phone carrier USCellular for a cheaper plan. I for one hope the rumor that has been going around that Verizon is going to take over USCellular is false cause I get a great plan at a great price with them and their coverage is pretty much equal to the great big red.
    01-10-10 09:01 PM
    Tetherberry makes connection by bluetooth easier than it normally would, as I understand it. I used VZAM to connect via Bluetooth but it took a lot of time to figure out how to do it.

Somehow I always knew one needed an additional feature to tether. I don't understand how it could be confusing. The fact the VZW sells Tetherberry, which I wasn't aware of, didn't make me think for a second one didn't need a tethering plan.
    Well, first of all, Tether, formally TetherBerry, hasn't always supported bluetooth. Secondly, since you can tether via bluetooth for free with VZAM or even do it without software, that's not enough of a reason for most people to spend fifty bucks.

Third, how are most people, especially uninformed consumers who don't hang out in device forums like we do, even going to know that VZW charges for tethering? When you install Tether and open your browser to surf, bada bing, there's the internet. You don't get the splash page you have to click on to accept the $30/mo fee like you do when you use VZAM, DM5 or even when you manually configure DUN.

Seriously, I can't imagine the uninformed user calling up VZW after installing Tether and saying, "Um, yeah, I'm like, um, tethering, and I was wondering if you would please add a $30/mo fee to my bill." How is the uninformed user even going to know that they have to do this?

They're not going to know. And they'll be doing it with a clean conscience too.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-10-10 at 09:20 PM.
    01-10-10 09:18 PM
    I was mixing business with pleasure. I had a browser set up on the left side of my screen with a John MacArthur sermon (video) while I was looking for loads on the load board in a browser on the right side of the screen set to autorefresh. It was a slow week for loads, but there were plenty of sermons, lol.

What a dummy.

***off topic*** yay for John MacArthur sermons.

01-10-10 09:31 PM
    ***off topic*** yay for John MacArthur sermons.

Indeed! He's my favorite modern teacher. Kind of like a modern day C.H. Spurgeon. I love Spurgeon too!

Expository preaching is where it's at.

01-10-10 09:37 PM
    Well, first of all, Tether, formally TetherBerry, hasn't always supported bluetooth. Secondly, since you can tether via bluetooth for free with VZAM or even do it without software, that's not enough of a reason for most people to spend fifty bucks.

Third, how are most people, especially uninformed consumers who don't hang out in device forums like we do, even going to know that VZW charges for tethering? When you install Tether and open your browser to surf, bada bing, there's the internet. You don't get the splash page you have to click on to accept the $30/mo fee like you do when you use VZAM, DM5 or even when you manually configure DUN.

Seriously, I can't imagine the uninformed user calling up VZW after installing Tether and saying, "Um, yeah, I'm like, um, tethering, and I was wondering if you would please add a $30/mo fee to my bill." How is the uninformed user even going to know that they have to do this?

They're not going to know. And they'll be doing it with a clean conscience too.

The uninformed user will quite likely not even know that they can tether their phone to their laptop to surf the web. I would think that if they know enough to find Tether then they know it is against the Terms an Conditions of their carrier.
    01-10-10 09:40 PM
    The uninformed user will quite likely not even know that they can tether their phone to their laptop to surf the web. I would think that if they know enough to find Tether then they know it is against the Terms an Conditions of their carrier.
    Man, I really don't want to be so argumentative, but I beg to differ. Imagine a new user browsing through the apps on Verizon's website and stumbling accross Tether. After reading about it, he says to himself, "Wow, I didn't know my phone could do that. Cool!" And he buys it and uses it.

He would automatically assume that since he found it on Verizon's site that it was sanctioned by them. That would be the natural thought progression, I would imagine.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-10-10 at 09:50 PM.
    01-10-10 09:45 PM
    Man, I really don't want to be so argumentative, but I beg to differ. Imagine a new user browsing through the apps on Verizon's website and stumbling accross Tether. After reading about it, he says to himself, "Wow, I didn't know my phone could do that. Cool!" And he buys it and uses it.

He would automatically assume that since he found it on Verizon's site that it was sanctioned by them. That would be the natural thought progression, I would imagine.

Really? I just did a search for Tether in the App Media center.....and hmmmm....not there.

http://http://mediastore.verizonwire...Media=ALLMEDIA
    01-10-10 09:53 PM
    The phone manufacturers have no bearing on what the carriers allow or disallow in their Terms and Conditions.
    This is true, but I'm trying to find out of the T&C of the phone companies banning tethering is a violation of the FCC. Per Comcast v. Bittorrent, we should be able to do it without a subscription. Hopefully some folks will help shed some light on this - like I said in the thread I started earlier, I'm just finding news articles and legal-eze that I'd love to have help deciphering.
    01-10-10 09:54 PM

+1. I know quite a few people - "average users" - who would do just this. I've seen threads from people who do just this. Sometimes I wish I was like that, it would make my life much easier. Unfortunately I'm analytical and a researcher by nature so I like to know ins and outs before doing something, especially if its going to cost me money.
    01-10-10 09:58 PM

LOL, not meaning to argue here just offering my view. I am also having a hard time finding Tether from Verizons website, let alone any apps for my Blackberry. Half of that could be because their website for me is terribly slow to maneuver around on. Seems about half the pages won't load for me.
    01-10-10 10:05 PM
    Really? I just did a search for Tether in the App Media center.....and hmmmm....not there.

http://http://mediastore.verizonwire...Media=ALLMEDIA
    Product Information
    01-10-10 10:23 PM
    Thank you, idntknw. I was looking for that. The app link on verizonwireless.com that points there doesn't work on the BB browser because it requires Flash.

Does that link come directly from VZW's site, even though it is handango?

01-10-10 10:29 PM
    Thank you, idntknw. I was looking for that. The app link on verizonwireless.com that points there doesn't work on the BB browser because it requires Flash.

Does that link come directly from VZW's site, even though it is handango?

Not sure...

The address I found it at was...

start.vzw.com

Last edited by idntknw; 01-10-10 at 10:38 PM.
    01-10-10 10:36 PM
    That is Handango's website. His arguement was that a unknowing customer would be browsing the VZW App website and see Tether, purchase, use and break the T&C's. That's not the case here. This is another company selling a service for VZW handsets.
    01-10-10 10:46 PM
    That is Handango's website. His arguement was that a unknowing customer would be browsing the VZW App website and see Tether, purchase, use and break the T&C's. That's not the case here. This is another company selling a service for VZW handsets.
    Wrong, it's right there on VZW's official mobile site, start.vzw.com

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-10-10 at 11:03 PM.
    01-10-10 10:50 PM
    I see that is VZW's official app store on VZW's official mobile site. It's "powered by handango", not owned by handango. Well, people, there you go.

Tether - VZW App Store

Just as someone posted earlier, you go to VZStart (start.vzw.com) from your BB browser ,which is VZW's mobile site, click on the green icon that says, "Get Apps," then click on "Get Apps for Fun & Work", click on "Best Sellers", then "Tether for Blackberry".

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-10-10 at 11:12 PM.
    01-10-10 10:53 PM
    I was looking on Verizon Wireless website, didn't think to go to the mobile site. did notice that under the list of features there is one that says "No Tethering Fees
    Tether uses your phone's data plan and we do not charge tethering fees. * " I notice a little asterisk there at the end, my experience with the asterisk is there is something they are telling you somewhere else on their site, but there seems to be no explanation of the asterisk.
    01-10-10 10:58 PM
    I was looking on Verizon Wireless website, didn't think to go to the mobile site. did notice that under the list of features there is one that says "No Tethering Fees
    Tether uses your phone's data plan and we do not charge tethering fees. * " I notice a little asterisk there at the end, my experience with the asterisk is there is something they are telling you somewhere else on their site, but there seems to be no explanation of the asterisk.
    Right, but I guess my point is that, regardless of the asterisk, when you install it, it works, without having to click on VZW's splash page to sign up for a monthly tethering fee.

01-10-10 11:01 PM
    Wrong, it's right there on VZW's official mobile site, start.vzw.com

Wrong, it says at the bottom of the page Copyright Handango....it's their website.

Oh

And here is the T&C's for Tether, from their website

Allocation of Risk. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU MAY INCUR ADDITIONAL CARRIER COSTS, AND THAT YOUR PLAN MAY BE TERMINATED BY YOUR CARRIER FOR VIOLATION OF YOUR CARRIERS FAIR USE POLICY OR TERMS OF SERVICE. BY USING ANY MATERIALS OR PRODUCTS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND ACCEPT, THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD AND AGREE TO THE DISCLAIMERS CONTAINED IN THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT.YOU AGREE THAT THE ABOVE WARRANTIES AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY REFLECT THE ALLOCATION OF RISK AMONG THE PARTIES AND THE PRICE OF THE SOFTWARE.
    01-10-10 11:48 PM
    Wrong, it says at the bottom of the page Copyright Handango....it's their website.

Oh

And here is the T&C's for Tether, from their website
    So what, lol? Handango is the e-commerce host that VZW contracted to collect and process the orders. Of course they will have a copyright, lol. You get there by clicking an app link directly from VZW's official mobile site. When you buy something through PayPal, do you assume that just because PayPal has a copyright on the page, that the website you purchased it from is owned by PayPal?

I don't care if Tether's T&C has a disclaimer that a carrier may not authorize it's use. That is there to cover their back sides. If they were THAT concerned about us, they'd name the carriers, but they won't do that because it would hurt sales. Do you really think the average user has dug as deep as we have? How many people really read pages of fine print when buying a phone?

While you are over here trying to aggravate people just to put in your 2 cents worth and be Verizon's fanboy, were over here trying to get to the bottom of something.

How is this constructive?
    Yeah, tell them how you signed up for a service and now don't want to pay for it. Better yet, tell them VZW kicks babies.
    Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-11-10 at 12:24 AM.
    01-11-10 12:11 AM
168 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD