03-17-10 10:58 PM
168 12345 ...
tools
    Well then, I nominate you to test is out for us! You seem like a nice person wiling to take one for the team. Rofl, just kidding. I needed a morning chuckle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Using the VZAM you can check your monthly stats. Don't know if Tetherberry lets you. I had heavy usage for one month tethering almost every day, without downloading large files. Didn't even use 1gb.
    01-10-10 10:47 AM
    Using the VZAM you can check your monthly stats. Don't know if Tetherberry lets you. I had heavy usage for one month tethering almost every day, without downloading large files. Didn't even use 1gb.
    When I first signed up for my air card, I watched a ton of streaming video the first week. I checked the vzam stats and was already at 4.2 GB. Had to squeak through the rest of the month on 800 KB, lol. Needless to say, after that I backed off of the video.

01-10-10 10:54 AM
    When I first signed up for my air card, I watched a ton of streaming video the first week. I checked the vzam stats and was already at 4.2 GB. Had to squeak through the rest of the month on 800 KB, lol. Needless to say, after that I backed off of the video.

LOL. But you had to be streaming for hours and hours at a time. I didn't stream....I knew better, but the usage was for business purposes.
    01-10-10 11:06 AM
    LOL. But you had to be streaming for hours and hours at a time. I didn't stream....I knew better, but the usage was for business purposes.
    I was mixing business with pleasure. I had a browser set up on the left side of my screen with a John MacArthur sermon (video) while I was looking for loads on the load board in a browser on the right side of the screen set to autorefresh. It was a slow week for loads, but there were plenty of sermons, lol.

What a dummy.

01-10-10 11:12 AM
    Spirit of the law, letter of the law doesn't really matter. Something happens when 5gb is exceeded. Although I don't really know what. 5GB on a tethered connection is probably hard to reach, with normal usage. Just don't download 5gb ISOs.
    Actually 5 gb is not hard to reach, I did it in a week...you just need to do a lot of business online, and its 5gb packets, not a limit

01-10-10 01:36 PM
    In terms of the 5 gig thing, it really comes down to streaming audio/video.

And even then, it's safe to watch maybe a TV ep or two.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I once had a 10-hour stretch of EQ2 only use about 10 MB. Granted, it wasn't a raid, and I wasn't using voice chat. But it should be proof enough that some things use more data than others.
    01-10-10 02:05 PM
    I haven't even seen the first time, just this "last time." I don't agree. It's 5 GB/mo for the device as well.

No, its not. It's unlimited data. Where on your bill does it say 5gb E-mail & Web for Smartphone? It doesn't. It says Unlimited data... That's why people are confused when you're saying Tethering from MBB plan to your E-mail and phone plan is the same thing.. it's not.

Also I do agree that tethering from the phone can use more data, but if vzw is giving it in the store(I had no idea about that), then there shouldnt be an issue to using it to the PC, should there? Would vzw realyl scramble through 80 million customers and ban those who are using tethering without the plan... or would they even bother to look?

How would VZW know if you use 50kb/month or whatever by being tethered, vs having the plan or using on the device?
    Last edited by Zukin; 01-10-10 at 05:02 PM.
    01-10-10 04:59 PM
    No, its not. It's unlimited data. Where on your bill does it say 5gb E-mail & Web for Smartphone? It doesn't. It says Unlimited data... That's why people are confused when you're saying Tethering from MBB plan to your E-mail and phone plan is the same thing.. it's not.
    That's why I said, a few posts following the one you quoted, "I stand corrected on the whole 5 GB thing."

01-10-10 05:04 PM
    Would vzw realyl scramble through 80 million customers and ban those who are using tethering without the plan... or would they even bother to look?
    They don't have to. It's automated. If somebody's being a bandwidth-hog, it'll come up in our system, and somebody will poke around to research why.

Now, about "our store". What are you guys talking about? Blackberry App World? Because last I checked, that was a RIM product, not a VZW product.
    01-10-10 05:05 PM
    They don't have to. It's automated. If somebody's being a bandwidth-hog, it'll come up in our system, and somebody will poke around to research why.

Now, about "our store". What are you guys talking about? Blackberry App World? Because last I checked, that was a RIM product, not a VZW product.
    Please read the entire thread. We're not talking about BlackBerry App World. There is a link posted of a screenshot taken of the online VZW store that proves that they are selling it.

01-10-10 05:08 PM
    I'll save you the trouble of finding it. Here's the quote.

Here's the link to a post by Forums Moderator Chrisy520 that shows the actual Verizon Mobihand screen shot: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/tet...5/#post4463393

There is no question that Verizon sells Tether through their online store.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-10-10 at 05:28 PM.
    01-10-10 05:13 PM
    Well, Travelling, you omitted the quote.

But for the Verizon guy:

I opened the Verizon page on my BB. Green-GetApps Icon, then GetAppsForFun&Work, then BestSellers....

Tether for BB is the second item in their list.

Convinced now?

Obviously, that does not change their TOS. And I don't know about Verizon's OFFICIAL TETHER package but maybe it also uses "phone data" as opposed to some other data and they have factored in Tether's product and their Verizon product.

But you have to admit, it could be confusing.

Clicked on link:

User rating 5 stars. Downloaded approx 6900 times
    Last edited by F2; 01-10-10 at 05:30 PM.
    01-10-10 05:26 PM
    Well, Travelling, you omitted the quote.
    Thanks. Got it fixed.

01-10-10 05:29 PM
    That's why I said, a few posts following the one you quoted, "I stand corrected on the whole 5 GB thing."

Yah i noticed that after I posted, but I didnt feel like editing my post, so I added to it. lol. Sorry about that
    01-10-10 05:42 PM
    It amazes me that if you pay them $30/mo to tether, their app that does it, VZAM, is free, yet they also promote Tether for $50. Now they know that nobody is stupid enough to buy something that they offer for free.

What kind of a message does this send? I don't know about anyone else, but the message that it sends me is that I have a choice to either go monthly for $30/mo or pay a one-time fee of $50 and forgo the monthly fee.

The other message that it sends is that they have revised their TOS prohibition on tethering with 3rd party apps, since they sell it on their own website, and just haven't gotten around to posting the revision.

That's all that we're left with. What else are we supposed to think? I think I am close to becoming ethically justified in using Tether in light of all the information that has come out in this thread.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-10-10 at 05:56 PM.
    01-10-10 05:50 PM
    Well, being ethically justified is not quite the same as being contractually justified. So don't over use it. Actually, maybe just ramp up your use of the Browser to 3gigs or so and then throttle that back and ramp up tether!!!!

There is an app that can send email at a specified time. Run that repeatedly while you sleep to send email minute by minute to get data further up.

By the way, since you seem to enter fairly long messages, which route are you on so I can AVOID it!!!!!
    01-10-10 05:58 PM
    By the way, since you seem to enter fairly long messages, which route are you on so I can AVOID it!!!!!
    ROFL. I'm parked right now. You are safe at the moment

However, tomorrow is another day!

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-10-10 at 06:22 PM.
    01-10-10 06:01 PM
    I haven't even seen the first time, just this "last time." I don't agree. It's 5 GB/mo for the device as well.

There's no debate there, its what the terms are.

01-10-10 06:49 PM
    Its not VZWs store, BTW. Its Handango.

01-10-10 06:53 PM
    There's no debate there, its what the terms are.

**sigh** As I already told someone else, "That's why I said, a few posts following the one you quoted, "I stand corrected on the whole 5 GB thing."

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-10-10 at 07:14 PM.
    01-10-10 06:53 PM
    Its not VZWs store, BTW. Its Handango.

Which you get to by going to Verizon's website and clicking on the Get Apps button, then GetAppsForFun&Work, then BestSellers. This was posted a few posts up courtesy of F2.

The whole point, as I see it, is that Tether is sanctioned by VZW.

Last edited by TravellingFool; 01-10-10 at 07:11 PM.
    01-10-10 06:56 PM
    Jeeze I guess there are Verizon nazi's here that work there and get a big bonus off of selling their way over priced tethering plan. Dang!

Don't take that pen home from work cause you're stealing it!
    01-10-10 07:12 PM
    So the question I have plain and simple...can I tether without having that extra monthly fee on my acct by using tetherberry?
    01-10-10 07:31 PM
    So the question I have plain and simple...can I tether without having that extra monthly fee on my acct by using tetherberry?
    I'm on WAP, so I can't see who your provider is, but the short answer is yes, if you don't go crazy with your bandwidth usage. The app, Tether, allows you to do this without paying a monthly fee.

01-10-10 07:35 PM
    01-10-10 07:40 PM
168 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD