03-17-10 11:58 PM
168 1234 ...
tools
    Can anyone post the portion of the contract that prohibits streaming from apps like Slacker? If that is true, and if it is also true that VZW pushes Tether on their website, then I feel I would be justified in using it. My justification would be that they obviously haven't gotten around to revising their contract to reflect their current product offerings. They bundle Slacker on all of their Tours right out of the box, for crying out loud.
    Hey, first off- my mom is a cross country truck driver so I understand completely where your coming from. She is pretty much in the same boat.

Now about the Mobile Broadband TOS and streaming Slacker- It is not listed in the actual contract that you signed when you renewed/started your contract. It is listed in the Mobile Broadband Terms and conditions. Here is the link: Terms & Conditions

Here is the quoted text from the TOS about permitted uses of data: "Data Plans and Features: Permitted Uses. You can use our Data Plans and Features for accessing the Internet and for such uses as: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail; (iii) intranet access (including accessing corporate intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications made available by your company); (iv) uploading, downloading and streaming of audio, video and games; and (v) Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)."

So according to the TOS, streaming audio is allowed.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by justin_327; 01-09-10 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Grammar
    01-09-10 06:11 PM
    Nuts. Thanks Justin_327, lol. It looks like twester65 was wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 06:24 PM
    Nuts. Thanks Justin_327, lol. It looks like twester65 was wrong.

Yep, it happens. Sorry.
    01-09-10 08:25 PM
    But I will go on to say that I don't see the difference between using my 3G connection to stream directly to my phone and using it to stream to my PC through a tether. Data is data. It doesn't matter where it ends up.

There was talk about a device that people could hook to their phone to see the screen at a more normal size - it has no CPU just mirrors the screen on the phone and adds a keyboard. Is that going to go against the TOS?
    01-09-10 08:28 PM
    But I will go on to say that I don't see the difference between using my 3G connection to stream directly to my phone and using it to stream to my PC through a tether. Data is data. It doesn't matter where it ends up.
    Maybe you can't see the difference but something you all need to remember is VZW is a for profit company. There's also lots of other carriers to go to if you don't like vzw ways. If you were the the ceo of vzw would you just turn everyone loose for an "all you can eat data package for 30 a month" ? What about answering to shareholders about a potential profit that tethering plans bring? As a small business bowner it makes sense to me that we have to pay more for computer data. Remember vzw is dumping tons of $ into LTE which will benefit us all later on. Not flaming anybody just some thoughts I had while reading the posts

01-09-10 08:56 PM
    What's really going to get you then is that the Terms of Service also prohibits streaming - Pandora, Slacker and iHeartRadio are theoretically naughty apps. In fact, the TOS is so broad that virtually every service that Blackberry Internet Service provides is prohibited. May as well just turn the thing off.
    Pandora and Slacker are technically not streaming music apps. They cache a song on your phone then stop accessing data. Iheartradio is probably streaming but I've never used it. Not sure what BIS services you seem to think are streaming.

01-09-10 09:08 PM
    ... turn everyone loose for an "all you can eat data package for 30 a month" ?
    ----------
    ...it makes sense to me that we have to pay more for computer data.
    Yes, but it's not computer data, it's BlackBerry data, which I am already paying for, and I wish to access that data, that I am already paying for, via my computer because it has a bigger screen and keyboard. I'm not asking for an anything goes all you can eat data package. I'm paying for 5 GB/mo, and that's all I intend to use, most likely much less, because I never even came close to 5 GB with my air card.

To reiterate, if I was going over the 5 GB allotment, then I can understand overage charges. See my dumb little water analogy above.

01-09-10 10:11 PM
    Data is data. It doesn't matter where it ends up.

There was talk about a device that people could hook to their phone to see the screen at a more normal size - it has no CPU just mirrors the screen on the phone and adds a keyboard. Is that going to go against the TOS?
    Amen brother. Preach it!

01-09-10 10:17 PM
    ... Not to mention, if Verizon truly does promote Tether for sale on their website, then it seems that the rules of the game have changed from the letter of the law to the spirit of the law.

It seems I have some pondering to do. The sale ends tomorrow.

Here's the link to a post by Forums Moderator Chrisy520 that shows the actual Verizon Mobihand screen shot: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/tet...5/#post4463393

There is no question that Verizon sells Tether through their online store.
    01-09-10 10:24 PM
    Here's the link to a post by Forums Moderator Chrisy520 that shows the actual Verizon Mobihand screen shot: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/tet...5/#post4463393

There is no question that Verizon sells Tether through their online store.
    Thank you. Amazing, isn't it?

01-09-10 10:29 PM
    For the last time, there is no 5GB allotment on the phone! Its unlimited for the device, 5GB for tethering.

01-09-10 11:12 PM
    Yes, but it's not computer data, it's BlackBerry data, which I am already paying for, and I wish to access that data, that I am already paying for, via my computer because it has a bigger screen and keyboard. I'm not asking for an anything goes all you can eat data package. I'm paying for 5 GB/mo, and that's all I intend to use, most likely much less, because I never even came close to 5 GB with my air card.

To reiterate, if I was going over the 5 GB allotment, then I can understand overage charges. See my dumb little water analogy above.

Actually... That's sorta true...there are still a lot of sites you can still only visit from a computer (that's my biggest gripe) and...its not a 5gb limit for $30, its just $30 per 5gb...when I burned through that in a week and called about it, vzw offered to up my plan limit. I just laughed and told them "that's okay" since I was on the trial anyways and wasn't all that impressed with the package...and as far as the 'for profit' part, how much are they making on me now? $0...

01-09-10 11:25 PM
    For the last time, there is no 5GB allotment on the phone! Its unlimited for the device, 5GB for tethering.

I haven't even seen the first time, just this "last time." I don't agree. It's 5 GB/mo for the device as well.

01-09-10 11:29 PM
    Actually... That's sorta true...there are still a lot of sites you can still only visit from a computer (that's my biggest gripe) and...its not a 5gb limit for $30, its just $30 per 5gb...when I burned through that in a week and called about it, vzw offered to up my plan limit. I just laughed and told them "that's okay" since I was on the trial anyways and wasn't all that impressed with the package...and as far as the 'for profit' part, how much are they making on me now? $0...

You showed them!!
    01-09-10 11:33 PM
    I haven't even seen the first time, just this "last time." I don't agree. It's 5 GB/mo for the device as well.

I'm still on your side man, but my plan specifically says "unlimited data" so I think that's right...if vzw gave you something different, then that's messed up...I have a storm, btw

01-09-10 11:53 PM
    You showed them!!
    Thank you :-D

01-09-10 11:55 PM

The plan is for UNlimited data but there is this theoretical 5gb limit which everyone alludes to.

When I signed up for the Verizon Global Plan, that cost me $65/month and it was UNlimited data while in europe.

Back to the US and quoting from Page 3 of my recent billing:

"Email & Web for Blackberry
    $29.99 monthly access charge
    Unlimited monthly kilobyte"

It is in the left hand column
    01-10-10 12:24 AM
    if tethering is so wrong why is it available on blackberry appworld?
    01-10-10 02:19 AM
    Because the left hand often doesn't know what the right is doing <lol>

01-10-10 02:42 AM

It's unlimited for the device. I can take a picture of my bill show where it says unlimited...but it's not worth the effort.
    01-10-10 09:40 AM
    It's not that tethering is wrong, Verizon/Blackberry is selling an app to make it easier, but you need the plan or else you get charged by the megabyte. I tether using bluetooh using VZAM and it works just fine.

A computer can consume more data than a smartphone, which in my opinion is the reason they require a tethering plan...to protect the network and/or provide a revenue stream to build out the network.
    01-10-10 09:45 AM
    Because the left hand often doesn't know what the right is doing <lol>
    As I noted above, Verizon also sells Tether in their online store.
    01-10-10 10:00 AM
    Huh. Well, I stand corrected on the whole 5 GB thing. Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. I could have sworn there were many posts elsewhere that showed that even though it says unlimited, it really means 5 GB when you get down to brass tacks.

Anyway, then aren't we back to the whole "letter of the law" vs. the "spirit" of the law" thing? Since Verizon sells Tether in their online store, and they are well aware that when you install Tether and fire up you PC's browser that you don't get the VZW splash screen asking you to click to agree to a tethering plan, and also keeping in mind that they limit you to 5 GB when tethering, that the spirit of the law would be to keep it under 5 GB and don't go overboard? I mean, stay off of YouTube and Hulu while tethered, and don't do massive downloads, and try to keep your usage close to what you normally do on your BB. That would be the spirit of the law in my book.

01-10-10 11:32 AM
    Huh. Well, I stand corrected on the whole 5 GB thing. Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. I could have sworn there were many posts elsewhere that showed that even though it says unlimited, it really means 5 GB when you get down to brass tacks.

Anyway, then aren't we back to the whole "letter of the law" vs. the "spirit" of the law" thing? Since Verizon sells Tether in their online store, and they are well aware that when you install Tether and fire up you PC's browser that you don't get the VZW splash screen asking you to click to agree to a tethering plan, and also keeping in mind that they limit you to 5 GB when tethering, that the spirit of the law would be to keep it under 5 GB and don't go overboard? I mean, stay off of YouTube and Hulu while tethered, and don't do massive downloads, and try to keep your usage close to what you normally do on your BB. That would be the spirit of the law in my book.

Spirit of the law, letter of the law doesn't really matter. Something happens when 5gb is exceeded. Although I don't really know what. 5GB on a tethered connection is probably hard to reach, with normal usage. Just don't download 5gb ISOs.
    01-10-10 11:38 AM
    Spirit of the law, letter of the law doesn't really matter. Something happens when 5gb is exceeded. Although I don't really know what. 5GB on a tethered connection is probably hard to reach, with normal usage. Just don't download 5gb ISOs.
    Well then, I nominate you to test is out for us! You seem like a nice person wiling to take one for the team. Rofl, just kidding. I needed a morning chuckle.

01-10-10 11:42 AM
168 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD